Home made D76 too much film base fog

The D76 formula, as published, does not contain any restrainer.

The only error I see in that formula is not diluting to 1 liter, thereby making the soluton 25% more concentrated than required. Did you dilute the final mix to 1 liter? If not, that may be the problem.

You also must specify whether you used anhydrous (dessicated) or hydrated sodium sulfite.

Ron Mowrey

The formula is well known but your fog level sounds like the resulting pH is too high. Are you sure you got everything right? It's easy to make mistakes when mixing a formula for the first time. I'd think over everything I did and compare it to the corresponding instructions step by step and compound to compound. Then I'd check my raw chemicals (as far as possible) and carefully try it again.

Best

Stefan

The formula quoted looks right but your fog level sounds like the resulting pH is too high. Are you sure you got everything right? It's easy to make mistakes when mixing a formula for the first time. Think over everything you did and compare it to the corresponding instructions step by step and compound to compound. Then check the raw chemicals by eye and label and carefully try it again.

Best

Stefan

Hello,

Tested with new liter and work perfectly. What I have done diferently? Just changed borax to a granulous version, previously used a powder version. And mixed slowly that first attempt when i have mixed vigorously.

Film base is between 0.29 and 0.33

If anyone want to use this soup, tri-x EI 200 35mm in d76 1:1 for 8 min for a fine grain and sharp images with full gradation. This time is like more a zone N-1 than N but I use split print and control contrast also with paper developer and toning.

Regards, Rui

Let your mixture sit a while. Unbuffered D-76 tends to be more active when fresh. E.I. 200 is slow for Tri-X in D-76 by my experience. That would not account for high edge fog.

A later formula uses a combination of borax and boric acid to stabilize the pH. Don't remember the numbers, but you can find it in a book somewhere. The Darkroom Cookbook has it, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

"Hello, Tested with new liter and work perfectly. What I have done diferently? Just changed borax to a granulous version, previously used a powder version. And mixed slowly that first attempt when i have mixed vigorously. Film base is between 0.29 and 0.33"

Thanks Rui you just made my day. I recently purchased a X-Rite 810 densitometer and I kept getting consitent readings for Base+fog of 0.29-0.30. The 0.30 was due to not enough washing time for the film or not using hypo clearing agent. I thought I might be doing something wrong or that the Densitometer had to be recalibrated because allot of materials I have been reading so far indicated that base+Fog should be in the 0.10 - 0.15 range. Thanks allot !