repair. As far as computer skills are concerned, I believe that the

Leica forum represents a fairly diverse user population. So, which

web browser do you use?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the freeware Mozilla Firefox. Gives you control over popup windows. I alsolike the Mozilla freeware Thunderbird for email. Both are easy to setup and use and you can still retain the option of returning to explorere or any other browser you have.

Firefox.

No spyware installed through security holes, tabbed browsing, and pop-up blocking are three of many features that put it far above IE in functionality.

If you've not already done so, download and install a copy of AdAware and Spybot: Search and Destroy (both free). You've probably already re-infected yourself with spyware and adware programs since the virus attack.

I very extremely strongly and emphatically endorse Firefox, as the others above, as the best browser today for a single person working on the Internet without ties to specific applications. The problem is that no two browsers are alike, and some applications that are HTTP-centric were developed for use with one browser or another. In my work environment, we are limited to using Microsoft IE 6 because of some JAVA applets we use for our main system. Specific versions of this matched with specific versions of that. Reminds me of the drug interaction precautions on TV.

Backups? We don’t need no stinking ba #.’  _ ,    J

using Camino on a Mac (Camino uses the same rendering engine as Firefox) but it's integrated better with the OS. If Camino is not available, then I would use Firefox. :-) Wont touch IE with a 10-foot lens!!

Gary beware of the free tools on offer on the Net. Many of them have spyware/trojan programs in them. But firstly, download Firefox.

Firefox.....one thing you can do with the tabbed browsing....

let's say for example you like to look at the leica forum, rangefinder.com and luminous landscape....if you put them into a bookmark toolbar folder, you have the option when you open that pick list of opening all of them at once in separate tabs.

No particular preference for IE, just that it came pre-installed on both laptops - for home and for work. At work, it's a requirement for corporate apps (including WebEx). At home, never had an issue with anything so far from IE. At any given time, I have a couple of instances of IE open with different sites that I "Alt + Tab" between.

Give me one good reason to download and install yet another browser.

(I am behind firewalls both at home and at work)

For us Mac-heads, Camino is best IMHO. It's fast, stable and not IE. Apple's Safari is also very nice.

BTW sorry to hear about your virus. I'm not familiar with those. Again, Macs are nearly immune to viruses and other forms of malware and other nonsense. I guess we've had all our shots. ;-)

All you PC users should consider getting one of the new Intel-based Macs. You'll then be able to have it all. You'll be able to run Windoze (via a simple re-boot or via virtualization software) and have the safety, security and ease of use of the Mac. Like being able to eat all the ice cream you want without getting fat!

Ron