Anyone know about Hallmark Institute of Photography?

tim_bopp

Hi Tim!

I found this thread and was so glad to find someone applying for the Class of 2007. Im sending my applications this week and I'm currently spending sleepless nights worrying about the finances.

Im pretty terrified about making this move (from Kenya)

So, its great to meet you and we could hopefully contact each other as we go through the process. (and if you know of any place i can get money for school, that would be great too! ;) )

Isabel

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I had my phone interview today and everything went well. But I'm a little weary on a couple points...they don't have dark rooms. No courses on documentary work. 40,000 bucks huh? It might not seem a lot to someone who might be looking forward to a carear in fashion or wedding/portrait photography, but I'm not and the price is pretty high. The teachers and the atmosphere seem slick. Which is fine, but I'm a little more down to earth. I'm very uncertain. Is anybody out there?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey All!<br>

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted. School has been really busy and my email kinda died etc. etc. Lots of.... fun. Lol. Anyway, I'm glad to see people are still checking out this forum. I hope it stays a resource for future students for a long time. Anyway, to address the most recent posts.<br><br>

Tim<br>

Current feedback. Well, we all (those who have worked hard) have made it through Phase III of the program which is said to be the hardest part of the 10 months. There's definatly some truth to that. It was hard but it was a good experience. I'm sure most of us wish we could have done better work (who doesn't), but we all have come so far from when we began. We've just started the last and final phase. So it's the home stretch. Time has gone so quickly and it hardly seems like we're starting to work on our final portfolio. They aren't kidding when they tell you during orientation that you graduation comes like tomorrow. It goes by so quick. We've learned so much, but sometimes it honestly doesn't seem like enough, or enough time. But it is wonderful .<br><br>

Isabel<br>

Congratulations on your decision to come from Kenya!! Wow!!! I hope all is going well for you. Feel free to email me with any questions.<br><br>

Anna<br>

About the dark rooms. I was disappointed when we didn't have any black and white classes, as I don't know how to do any of that type or thing. I'm going to have a friend teach me before the end of the year and take a workshop or two afterschool. Anyway, we did eventually have the darkrooms open to us during the day. We had a couple classes on it and then they were open for us to use. I know a few students who do some work there. I don't know if it will remain open for next year, but perhaps it will and you will still be able to do work in there. I do admit that being able to use the 645 film for the first phase was a tremendous advantage over the previous years class who had to develop film and turn it in as a contact sheet before 5:15pm. Believe me. It's great. Also, the focus on digital is also great because the photography world is going digital, so being adept with it is crucial. The teachers here are great. Not perfect but in general they are very friendly and helpful. The atmosphere is great and the whole program is very nice. Please feel free to post more questions or email me. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.<br><br>

Well, I hope you all are doing well. Keep posting!<br>

- Jules

I was just curious, with regards to the budgeted expense for the Mamiya 645 AFDII. In the .PDF file that they sent me, they said to budget around $5,500 for the camera. Searching through the internet though, the list price is around $4,500, which already includes 2 backs and an 80mm lens...??? Am I missing out on something here?

• 3 months later...

Hi. My husband was a student at Hallmark during the 05-06 school year. We made big financial sacrifices to move from CA to MA (we being my husband, me and our 2 year old). Overall, it was a really quality education, and of course a very intense program. But I wanted to share some things that were disappointing or negative to us (because the people who market the school don't).

-Most stressful, you have to find your own models. At the begining the recruiters ask if you are willing to "eat, breath and sleep photography for the next 10 months," but the thing that consumed so much of our time in Phases 3 and 4, was finding attractive people to photograph.

- Students are advised that Hallmark has props. Most of their props are in terrible condition. You should budget at least a few hundred dollars for props (some assignments are very specific, some are not). We bought candles, soap, deodorant, clothes ($100), silverware, all kinds of food, etc.

- Their portrait studio is one long bank seperated by curtains. I'm not a photographer, so I'm not familiar with what other studios are like, but to me as a mother of a 2 year old who was being photographed, it was uncomfortable. There was not a comfortable place to sit for the person being photographed or anyone accompanying them. There was a dog being photographed just on the other side of the curtain, which could be very unsafe as you can imagine. (Assignments include portraits of pets and children.) And the lights make it incredibly hot.

-In Massachusetts there is a law about not having young children in homes that may have lead paint. It was very difficult to find a landlord who would take us, because we had a 2 year old. And unfortunately, the housing people at the school weren't much help. (Apparently, they now have a new Housing section on their website, which would be a definite improvement over multiple mailed paper copies of available housing.)

-Though they market themselves as the best school in the industry, top employers don't seem to be recruting from them much. Representatives from a few photo companies came to the school for on-site interviews, but they seemed to be from companies like Lifetouch (not the kind of job you're looking forward to when you plunk down $40,000 for an education).

-Relatedly, the job board, where job openings are posted, did not seem to be updated frequently during the year. I got the impression that jobs posted on the job board were not neccesarily posted by the hiring company, but that Hallmark's "Career Training Coordinators" were doing internet searches and posting jobs they found, without actually having a beneficial relationship with the hiring company.

-Toward the end of the year especially, we got the distinct impression that the school was more concerned about the incoming class than the outgoing class. (Graduation was a month ago, and my husband still has not been provided with his login info for the alumni website, which supposedly contains more job postings.)

-Finally, be aware that though some equipment is included in the tuition, you will need a lot more, both during the program and afterward. (Plan tens of thousands of dollars for this.)

Not to discourage anyone, I just wanted you to be aware!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, it's been a while since I posted! Unfortunatly my computer would freeze every time a tried for a while, so this is as soon as I've been able to get to it.<br><br>

Richie:<br>

I can understand your concern, but you don't only get the camera, film back, and 80mm lens, you'd be getting the 150mm lens, a light meter, a tripod, and a bag. If you signed up to get all of that. There also may be some things that my class (2006) wasn't offered that you'd be getting. If you don't want to get your gear through the school, you can often find it cheaper on ebay or you can buy from previous years students. We're all pretty much trying to sell ours. I've got my kit for sale. Choice of 3 bags, but no light meter. That is worth keeping and I would get it through the school. If you're interested in buying my kit (also comes with a manual 120 macro lens and some film if you'd like it) I've priced it $2,850. I'd be happy to give you all the details (or anyone else who might be interested)over email. <br><br>

Maria Powers:<br>

Wow! I don't think I ever met you. That's too bad. Jason was your husband correct? Or did I get the name wrong. My deepest appologies if I did.<br><br>

I thought I would just add to your comments:<br>

Yup, you do have to work to find your own models, and it is one of the most stressful parts, but it's not impossible.<br><br>

I definitely agree about the props. Hallmark really does not have great props.. They might have the littlest thing to add in the background of your set up, but you won't survive on their props. You need to plan on spending a couple hundred to buy props for your shots. Even if you plan on buying and returning. It will make or break your shots.<br><br>

The portrait studios are the long bank, and yes there will be conflicting neighbors sometimes... but I don't think it caused too many problems this year. It did cause a few, so taking precautions is something you will have to do. Such as, if you notice that you're scheduling right next to someone with a dog scheduled. It's probably not a good idea to schedule a cat or a child for that slot. Perhaps you can trade with someone for a different slot etc. That can be really hard though and sometimes there's nothing you can do. The least you can do in that situation would be to let them know you're photographing a child and they need to keep a tight rein on their dog. And always pull in some chairs for your models friends/parents/guardians to sit on. Offer them water. etc. <br><br>

I heard about the new online housing thing, hopefully it works better than the papers we were all sent <br><br>

About the reputation, I've heard that it is growing. It is a relatively upcoming school compared to the other big schools like brooks. Most everyone has heard of brooks but not so much Hallmark. But really, I think you're more likely to get hired based on the quality of your work, than you are the reputaion of your school. Not that a good reputaion doesn't help. <br><br>

Yea, the job board seemed to be either short term assisting jobs or a fair few positions. Nothing too updated and was most likely from online searches or emails. <br><br>

I did not get the same impression, but about the mail with the alumni log in. Mine somehow got sent to my parents. Also, if you stayed in turners falls, they for some reason start holding your mail after graduation, assuming everyone moved. So unless you go in and get your mail and tell them to stop holding it or give them a forwarding address, you may not get it. If it did get lost in the mail, email Paul Bissex and he will give you your log in code. It does have a few job postings, it varries. Some are pretty good looking though. Also, make sure you got your PPA membership card package. I had to call PPA because I never got mine. If you didn't, they'll send you out a new one. <br><br>

Yes, you'll definitely need equipment to go off into the world after school. That's to be expected. Also, having a good dSLR and nice lenses and a flash etc. during school is a WONDERFUL help. I wonder how some people survived without one of their own. It's something to look into. You'll probably start wanting one around christmas/new years. <br><br>

Well, I guess that's really all I have to say. Oh! For the students coming in for the 06-07 class. I am living in Greenfield. I will be staying here for the indefinate future, so I am willing to help you guys out with anything I can. Borrowing props, letting you know of places to photograph, help finding models (or modeling depending), suggestions, telling you you won't die even though you haven't slept for 36 hours. Pretty much anything, just start emailing me and we'll talk.<br><br>

Feel free to email with any questions or if you're interested in buying my camera. =)<br>

- Jules

• 1 month later...
Hi, I have been looking up info about Hallmark for my boyfriend who is wanting to go there for the 2007 school year. He called and got his interview for next week and i was just wondering if anyone could give tips on what it's going to be like for him...he's very nervous. He's an amazing photographer and a fast learner, and wants more than anything to get into Hallmark. Any info about the interview and application process would be great....e-mail or posting on here is fine!! Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I am writing here for the first time. I am a research scientist at Univ of Pennsylvania and am seriously contemplaing moving into photography and making it my career.

Hallmark gives you a 10 month course which looks awesome. I went to their Open House on Oct 22 last. The staff and students there were very friendlly. The set up looked nice too.

Now for those who have attended the course and are attending it, I have some questions.

- How much loan did you apply for?

- Do you all feel that you can pay that amount (maybe ~$40 - $50,000) after the course is completed?. I mean how sure are you that you will end up in a good job?

- what is the class strength per course?

- finally, is it worth spending that money and why?

Thanks all :o)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! I have been researching photography schools and I'm trying to determine if Hallmark is really worth the money. I already have un undergraduate degree and I also thinking of going back for a second bachelors of maybe even a masters. I'm really confused!! I would appreciate any info/advice that you guys could give!

Nicole

Hi guys! It's Nicole again. I was wondering about the camera system that students are required to purchase at Hallmark. I've noticed that many people are selling theirs upon graduation. So, if this system isn't worth keeping, then why are students required to buy it? Also, what type of cameras do you (current students) plan on using after graduation?

Nicole,

I am a current student right now at hallmark. If you have any questions please e-mail me

at jason.mcgrew@gmail.com and I will do my best to answer them. As far as if you going

to Hallmark and being worth it, it all comes down to what you want to do. If you want to

be a serious photographer than getting a BA or MFA would be wasting your time. Think

about it if yo already have a undergaduate and you dont have what you need to be a

photographer do you seriously think that 2-4 more years of school at a university is going

to do it. All they do is teach you the same thing. I completly recommend hallmark to

anyone. I'm not a spokes person for the school nor do i get payed to tell you to go there.

All i know is where I was when i stated 2 months ago and were I am not after turning in my

first portfolio today. If you want to be a photographer you will make some serious changes

at hallmark. As far as the camera goes. Currently all the students use the mamiya 645AFD

II with a LEAF-aptus 22 digital back. (retail is close to $30,00 for all of it) You ask is the

camera worth it if many student sell it after attending. YES!!!!! In fact i am going to sell

mine when i leave to buy a canon. At hallmark you shoot in the studio tons. the camera is

made or what we do. It also produces the best quality image your money can buy. Really it

is no big deal if you dont want it just sell it. Just make sure that you buy the setup used

from a passed student(like me) and you will save tons tons of money. well that is really all

I have to say. If you have questions e-mail me and visit the school for yourself. there is a

open house at the start of december.

jason

I think this community you guys have here is great. I am considering applying to Hallmark for next September and I stumbled upon this page while searching for information. Reading through the posts I have learned a lot and everyone seems so helpful. :-)

Judging by the amount of information being crammed into a 10-month program I can imagine the schedule gets pretty hectic. I was wondering if anyone currently attending could give me some insight on the class schedules. You know, what time the classes usually span through and the days of the week (which I am assuming is everyday. lol)

Thanks! :-)

-Laura

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering going also... I am interested in setting up my own studio and was curious if there are others who would like to comment. I personally don't have the full-tuition and years expenses in the bank so I'd need to get loans for the 10 months/year of school.

Anyone know what starup costs for a decent studio would be and the liklihood of getting additional loans for all that ? At the time I graduate I'll have a lot of debt to income. Would Any alumni like to give me some feedback? I'm not hacking anything, I'm just trying visualize the best way from here to there. The school looks great because of the management and marketing AND all the photography lessons plus the way it's done.

John

• 1 month later...

I see that people haven't been chatting in a while, but if you're still on, I would love to know what some of you '05 & '06 graduates are doing now. I have read a lot of the older messages and so many of my questions have been answered, but I have a couple more, if anyone wouldn't mind answering.

Is photography your full time job now? Are you making money from it? Did your business plan work? Have you been asked to do a job that you didn't feel prepared for? Did you feel you needed to take follow-up classes?

A friend of mine was an '06 graduate, and he told me about the good, bad and scary, and how he would do it again if he had to, but I would love to hear from others.

I'm going for my in-person interview on Thursday. Hopefully I'll be just as excited after. My biggest concern is the financial side.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

-Caryn

Hi Guys!<br>

Sorry I have been absent so long! Many things have happened, among which include this site freezing my computer over and over, and most recently my email address went down (not sure how long it was down before I realized it) so I haven't been getting any email, etc. etc. Now that that's fixed (for photo.net anyway) I'm back. I don't have the time right now to respond to everybody who's posted since I was last here, but if anyone wants to shoot me an email to answer any questions I'm always glad to talk.<br><br>

Also, I noticed one of you was wanting '06 graduates to post what we're doing now. Currently I am starting up a photography business of my own. It's slow taking off right now, but I'm hoping to get things going shortly. My website is almost completed and I will post it when it is so you can take a look. <br>

Best Wishes!<br>

- Jules

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I've been a bit of a lurker on this thread. It's nice to read everyone's posts I'm learning lots.

I've just been accepted into the 2007-2008 class and I'm really looking forward to it. From

what I've gathered, it's going to be horrendously expensive. Still trying to work out a

budget to present to my parents (who are helping finance my education).

I was wondering if I could get a bit of help with regards to the small stuff. I don't live in the

States so I have a very vague idea of what the cost of living is like there. Coming from the

Philippines, winter will also be a new experience for me.

How much would you guys allot for groceries and laundry for a month? How about

recreational activities during the weekends (movie, coffee)? I heard that we might be

making a few trips to new york and such, what would be the ballpark figure for trips like

those?

Lastly, and I know this might be a strange question... but what would I need to survive

winter in Turners falls?

I'm so looking forward attending classes this September. :) Hopefully, I can convince my

parents and our company that it'll be worth the fortune it requires.

Thanks!

Hello Kathy! <br>

Congrats on getting accepted and coming all the way from the Philippines. About your budget, what you need to do is talk to the people at the school. They will help you come up with a budget, how much your rent is and groceries all depends on where you live and if you live with other people. Laundry depends on if you live somewhere with a washing machine or use a laundromat. As far as weekend activities, once school starts really getting busy there isn't much time for anything but school and the occasional night at the movies. Again, the school will be able to help you work out budgets. Also, you will need to add money to your budget for props, despite what the school says the props in the school will not get you through the year. Another thing you may want to consider is getting a dSLR, but that is more of a personal preference thing. Also, the school takes one trip to NY, but if you take the bus and don't spend the weekend there it's all paid for. Some students will rent hotel rooms together so that they can see the rest of New York over the weekend, but that something that you can't usually plan for before coming to school.<br>

Best of luck to you and feel free to email me if you have any other questions or want to chat. <br>

- Jules

I've been following this thread for about the last six months as I began the process of applying, interviewing and being accepted to Hallmark. I'd like to thank all of the individuals who have taken their time to provide some good answers to the questions posed thus far.

I will be flying out from Reno to check out the campus and the facilities in person mid-April of this year. I'm really looking forward to getting a first hand idea of exactly what the layout of the school is like, and getting to meet some of the faculty.

For those of you who are currently attending, I have a couple of questions:

1) Are there any particular areas of town that are more desirable than others to get an apartment?

2) I'm budgeting around $60,000 for tuition, supplies, props, living expenses, food, gas, and any other incidentals (based on tuition info from admissions, and their projected costs, plus a little extra just in case). Does this sound about right?

3) There is a little bit of confusion about the Mamiya that the school requires you purchase. Many students seem to want to sell theirs once they complete the program. Is this particular camera not desirable for professional level photographic work? Why wouldn't graduates want to keep this particular model?

Hi,<br>

Congrats on being accepted! You sound like you're well prepared. $60,000 sounds like a good budget. As far as places to live. Greenfield is nice it's about 15-20 minutes from school, which can be a pain sometimes. Turners probably isn't as nice, but it's closer. Really I would base things on the apartment itself. <br><Br>

The reason most students sell their mamiyas isn't because it isn't a good camera, it's because unless you're doing film work or have the money to buy a digital back for it (big $$$) then it's kind of impractical. It is also bigger and slower than your average dSLRs like the nikon d200 etc. So, most will sell it to buy themselves a set up that they can practically use now to get their business going. It is a good camera though.<br>

Feel free to email me with any other questions if you'd like!<br>

- Jules

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Tim & Others,<br><br>

I was where you are just a few short years ago. I had a dream of turning my passion and hobby of photography into a career.

<br><br>

Five years later I can say that I've accomplished my goal and much more and everyday is an exciting adventure. I'm traveling around the world and doing what I love to do. It's the best job in the world. I graduated from Hallmark in 2004/5 with top honors and won the prized Mamiya Award of Excellence. After school I moved to Las Vegas to start my business.

<br><br>

I have many projects, clients, and websites and absolutely love the life that I've created for myself as a professional photographer and digital artist.

<br><br>

I'd be glad to speak with anyone that is in this place of making a career change, it's a big scary move, especially if you leave a good solid 20 year career as I did.

<br><br>

If I can give you any help or encourgement along the way please feel free to call on me. If your passing through Las Vegas be sure to look me up.

<br><br>

I have many websites which include:

<br><br>

<a href=http://www.waynewallace.com>http://www.waynewallace.com</a>

<br><a href=http://www.waynewallacephotography.com>http://www.waynewallacephotography.com</a>

<br><a href=http://www.lasvegasheadshotphotographer.com>http://www.lasvegasheadshotphotographer.com</a>

<br><a href=http://www.wallacedigital.com>http://www.wallacedigital.com</a><br>

and more on the way, I'm also a web site junkie ;-)<br><br>

I'm working on a new website to encourge people to go after their dreams called <a href=http://www.yourchoice.org>http://www.yourchoice.org</a>

. I'm writing my story for publication here soon.<br><br>

Warmest Regards,<br>

Wayne Wallace

• 3 weeks later...