Anyone know about Hallmark Institute of Photography?

tim_bopp

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it went pretty good i got the recommendation to attend ill send my application on monday so hopefully ill get in, but ill really worried about the financial aid. do any of you guys have any web sites i would love to see some of your pictures i have a few pics if any one interested

Hi Ryan!

Yay!! I'm glad you got recommended. I'm pretty positive you'll get accepted now. =) I am a bit shaky as far as finacial aid goes, but my dad is handling most of it. I'm 18 and live at home so yea, we're gonna be getting a bunch of loans and what knot. There's a lot of loan options out there. Hallmark will send you information on them and don't forget to fill your FAFSA out, there can be money there. Also, if you pay early (June 1st) you save $3,111 (something like that) off your tuition. If you pay by.. um, I think it's July or August you save $2,700 something off the tuition. Bank of America is the only loan that will make the payment that early, but you do save a bunch of money paying early. As I said there are a lot of loans out there, and if you need help with anything the financial office will be glad to help you.

Anyway, about pictures. Welllll, as of right now I don't have and pictures on the web, tho maybe I wil make a website for some that I feel are okay ('member I'm just an amature) but I'm having major computer problems right now and can't make websites but yea.

If you're interested in seeing pictures from people who go or have attended Hallmark.. Nate has some in his profile on this website, and here are some other websites that I've found through google that are of or involve people who have graduated from Hallmark.

http://devenstross.com/Biography.html

http://www.wilsonblackphotography.com/index.php

http://www.kimfontaine.com/Laurel%20Wood.htm

http://www.shutterbug.net/columns/0103sb_student/

http://www.lynwoodstudio.com/index.php

http://www.jpowersphotography.com/

http://www.tomsapp.com/

http://www.josephs.com/

Alot of the people from above websites have had other training as well, but they have attended Hallmark

http://visual.edge-of-night.com/x-resume.html

This guy, you actually see a bunch of his pictures AT hallmark in their photo shows, well at least I did at the open house

Anyway, Keep us posted on your acceptance!!!

- Jules

Ryan,

I tried requesting your address, but the system had some kind of internal error. Let me tell you how to request mine (or anybodys) They have this nifty feature so that spam robots can't get your email off of the forum. If you see, every body's name (above their post) is a link that you can click on. This takes you to their profile and in their profile there's a link that you can click to request their email. It's a 20 second delay (also to protect from spammers) and then it will email you my email address as well as email me your email address. (lets see how many times we can use the words "email" and "address" in one sentence!) So try that, and if it doesn't work let me know.

- Jules

ps. Oh I wouldn't say I know a lot about Hallmark, at least as far as what their program is like etc. I just have read every bit of information I can find on line as well as any they send me and Nate has been a great help as well. He's the guy to talk to about what it's actually like to be a student there. I also attended their open house. Which was great. Thanks for the compliment though!!

hi, i'm ross and i recently (yesterday), got into the hallmark institute. i had the interview, went to the open house and the last thing is: financial aid. Does anyone know how their aid packages work? From everyone at the school, it seems that they try to work with you to make sure you can find the resources available to go to the school. The location of the school is in the middle of nowhere, but when i talked to students at the open house, they all said its something you get used to, and u become good friends with the other people in the program. plus, i live about an hour and half away (worcester, mass), so i'm not too far away from the places and people i know. would love to get in touch with other students going this fall, email me: towser777@yahoo.com.

i forgot to say this, but in response to all the negative talk about the school, here is what i say: You make the best of what u get. I believe the school gives you the techniques and know-how to accomplish your goals. The location might be iffy and the courses seem intense but if you like to work hard and earn everything you have instead of having things handed to you, this is the program for you. I graduated high school in 2002, and was looking at Hallmark for that fall, but i freaked out. it was in the middle of nowhere, not near a city and all u earned was a certificate, not a degree. But, now that i've been out, working, trying to make it, i've realized, if u have the passion and drive to do something, you can make it happen. I am hoping this is what Hallmark does for me, gives me the resources and the techniques so i can go out and do what i want; happily and willingly. it is expensive, but in the long run, i hope to earn all my income from photgraphy because it is what makes me happy.

Hey.. Lookie! It's got a cool subject! I didn't know you could do that. Ha. ANYWAY ....

Welcome to the gang Ross. I'm glad I'll be seeing you this fall!! I noticed that you requested my email, so I hope you drop me a line!!

To anyone else who I've been comunicating with (tim, nate, ryan) I'm just wondering if you guys are all busy or if my mail is getting lost in cyber space cause I haven't heard from ya in a while!! If so, let me know!

Again, Welcome to the group Ross!! =)

- Jules

Hey people, it's great to find a site where one can find such in-depth info into this school. I have been wanting to attend for about 2 years now but I have been working and going to a community college instead. photography is defiantly the most import thing to me. I want to take my knowledge and ambition to the next level, and I think this is the school to do so. I have a question although it may have sorta been answered... can we use are own equipment instead of buying there?s? I mean I have a nikon n80 slr with 2 good lenses and a flash, and a canon 20d digital slr with a lens. together its about 2500$ in photo equipment, is this enough or is it a requirement to buy there stuff? thanks for the help!

Hey Brian!<br>

I hope you do chose to attend! It'd be great to see you this fall!!

<br><br>

As to your question, yes there is required equipment that you must have. You can either get it through the school (which will set your back about $5000) or you can get it off ebay or somewhere else. You may even have some of the things that you need. Here is the list.

<br><br>

Mamiya 645 AFD <br>

80mm f/2.8 Lens <br>

120/220 Film Magazine <br>

Tenba 676 ProTraveler bag - I suspect you could get a different bag, I am just listing the package they offer through the school <br>

150mm f/3.5 Lens <br>

Sekonic L-558 Flash Meter <br>

Bogen Tripod <br><br>

That is everything. I suggest you look on ebay and other places like that because you can get what you need for a whole lot less money. Anyway, hope to see you this fall! <br>

- Jules

this is what i think about the equipment: one of the people in the admissions dept told me that they have a good standing with Mamiya and they provide cameras and equipment to incoming students, but i feel as long as you have a digitally compatible SLR with interchanging backs, then your fine. Brian, i wish i had a canon 20d. they don't make the 10d anymore from what my local camera shop told me. personally, i'd email the school, telling them the equipment you have and see if its acceptable. they might try to tell you to get a mamiya 645 afd, but mamiya has an agreement with the school. school is a business. but i don't have one, so, thats the package i'm going to buy for school, the one jules wrote about. i know if you email steve@hallmark.edu or tammy@hallmark.edu, they'll help out. good luck brian.

Hey,<br>

I can see your point Ross, but personally I would still get the equipment they want you to because that is what they will be teaching from. It's kinda like saying, well even though the school wants me to get Ken's Study of Biology book I won't get it because I have Adam's Biology Study book. It's almost the same, but not quite. Imagine you're in the classroom and the teacher says turn to chapter 5, we're going to read about cells today. If you didn't have the same book you'd have to go searching through your book to find the equivalent information and even then it might not be exactly the same.<br><br>

Yea, I understand a camera isn't a book but the teachers are still going to teach from the mamiya camera. Also, they will have only equipment compatible with mamiyas or other camera they have there for loan. For example, they have digital backs for the mamiya camera for students to loan out for their digital assignments. If you didn't have the mamiya camera, you'd have to buy your own digital components for your digital assignments, costing you more money. They same with the lenses and what ever else. You may end up buying a lot more equipment than you would if you got the required system because they may not have compatible parts. Or you might be in a big scramble to find them or borrow them from somebody. <br><br>

Now I might be wrong, but I would definately talk to the school about it. Talking to current students might also be a good idea. Anyway, have a great day all!<br>

- Jules

you've made a great point jules. their teachings and equipment are for the mamiya so it would make sense to get the camera that they recommend. when i visited the school on their last open house, the commercial and portrait studios were set up with the mamiya camera system, so yes, it would make sense to have a mamiya when u get to the school. but like i said before, the best way to find out is to ask them. good luck brian with all this.

thank you both for the info, it has been quite helpful. tomorrow is my phone interview so I can get all the questions I had answered right from the source. it looks like an intense school and I have really only heard good things about it. I want to work my ass off and I want to learn more about photography and using it as a business so I hope it all works out.

Hey Everyone, I am new on this thing but was looking up Hallmark and found it. I am planning on going in Sept. It's going to be a tuff one but hey we all will be new. Anyways is anyone sure on when we get to beging looking for an apartment? I know it probable wont be for a bit but its good to start thinking about. Also does anyone else know what the age av. is for students there?

Well Thanks talk to you all soon.

~Kristen

Hey Kristen! <br>

Welcome to the gang!! I hope to see you there this fall! To answer your questions.. the average age is 23.. I'm on the younger side of that at 18. As far as apartments, the housing/roomate lists go out in may and they have a housing social things in june and july. Or something like that. Nate (a current student) has recommended that you move out in August to get a feel for the area and get to know the local people because it will be good to find connections for models and stuff. Anyway, if you have any other questions, feel free to drop me an email!!!<br>

- Jules

Thanks for the info. My e~mail is KrisHMcK@hotmail.com if you want to send me an e~mail it would be good to get to know some people before jumping into this the Fall.

Plus I cant wait to get a place to stay that will help out with keeping the mind of the anxiety of everything else.

Thanks again in sure you'll all be hearing from me again.

~Kritsten

hey what up people, hey jules all kinds of people tryin to get in, hey brian i hope your phone interveiw goes good its not tough. Well i sent my application today i still have to get two recommendations and email them, that financal aid is still keepin me up at night think how i can get that much, and hopin i take good enough pictures to graduate if i get in, well talk to you guys tomorrow

more people are coming! hey kristen, welcome. i'm hoping on moving out there around the middle of august, but the school is very good at helping find an apartment and roommates. they have the housing socials and some students from this year told me they send you a huge thick packet with all the incoming students' information: their likes, habits, lifestyles and then another packets with all the apartments: landlords, space, rooms, etc. So, they help which is a great asset.

Hi, all! I, too, have been accepted into Hallmark for this fall. I've been keeping up with all of the posts for quite some time now but haven't said anything. Thanks for all of the great comments and info. I just wanted to let you know that it's been helping me and I'm sure there are others out there watching as well! Please keep it up! Oh, also, I was just curious... how did you all find out about Hallmark in the first place? I know there will be several stories. Thanks, again!

Hah, I'm back already! I thought I would drop some more questions. I know at Hallmark you receive a certificate, but what is the actual title? e.g. A Certificate in Photography? Also, does anybody know what types of jobs most of the Hallmark graduates have gotten? I've looked at some of the websites on the Hallmark site and heard from a couple of the current students and past students, but I would love to hear as much as possible!! Does anyone know if the school has done any data surveys on past graduates? ...I'm sure I'll be back with more!

So, I was wondering... I know that Hallmark gives you info to look up scholarships, but I haven't gotten my financial aid packet yet and I'm a bit anxious. I'm noticing that I'm not the only one that is trying to figure out the money situation. How did the past or current students do it? Are there any commonly used scholarships by Hallmark students? Or does it really just depend on the individual? Help??