Anyone know about Hallmark Institute of Photography?

tim_bopp

Thanks for that Floyd

I guess I'll just make a schedule. Someone e-mailed me back from the institute and asked

like 9 questions like where did I hear about them, what do I want to accomplish, what do I

like, what do I work at etc etc. I was up aaallll night writing an essay of a response,I think I

filled up like 4 a4 pages, crazy...sooooo nervous..

can anyone describe what available accomodation is like, I want a house, and I know they

keep a list of local landlords etc. Floyd what are your living conditions like? (if you don't mind

me asking!!)

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sharon,

I share a house with another person that is also a Hallmark student . The house is an older house but is very good place to live for 10 months. There is a wide variety of places to live , houses ,apartments , just about anything you want . They keep a really good list of places at the school ,it shouldn't be hard to find the kind of place you are looking for . Rent is reasonable here as the area has kind of a depressed economy . Good luck Floyd

Sharon,

Early in the year you will have plenty of time with your dog in the afternoons and nights as the schedule isnt too harsh at that point, in the middle to the end of the year is where time becomes very tough to come by, you will spend nights at the school working at times. I know that while I was there, there were a couple students who brought their dogs in on a regular basis and had them with them in studio or in the computer lab while they worked.

And as far as surfing is concerned, Hallmark is on the western side of Mass and so is a ways away from the coast, and also the majority of the time you're at school it will be fall and be pretty cold, or winter and very cold. However I bet you could do some very early on or very late.

Anyway, hope this helped some, and best of luck!

-Brett

Brett

Cheers for that, im used to cold weather and water temps, I am from Ireland!!

I answered a few questions from hallmark and now they're gearing me up for a phone

interview, have no idea when, guess they like to keep up suspense! thanks all for the help

xxx

Soooo....I have an interview set up next week. I know ZERO about pro photography but I know it's what I'd love to do for a living. I'm a 31 year old college grad who's head is going to explode if he has to sit in a cubicle on the phone for one more freakin' day. It's time to make the dream a reality. I'm not afraid of the work load. I've worked loads in the past. What I am afraid of is the money. I went to the open house last weekend and didn't want to leave. If I do go I'll be commuting from Northampton every day. The friends, family and girlfriend are all incredibly supportive so far. As much as I want it, I'm nervous as all hell. I don't know that I have a point here. Just wanted to voice this to a group of people that might understand.

Floyd my good man! I just had my interview today! All went well and I was recommended. I took the walk around tour and saw you all doing your photographic thing. I honestly just wanted to stay in the studios and pick up then and there. So I know it's just been a few weeks for you, but can you already see improvement in what you're doing? Is it as much fun as they make it sound? I know it's a ton of work but I've worked hard in the past. And that was doing jobs I hated. Like now for instance. Anyhow, I hope to hear from ya soon. Best of luck to ya and certainly keep me updated.

Hey Mickey

Congrats on being accepted!! Right now we are coming to the end of phase 1 and there is alot to do but manageable if you use your time wisely. It really is alot of fun, some people here get a little stressed by the workload but I am having too much fun to be stressed. If photography is what you want to do this is the place that will teach you what you need to know.Do you live in Mass.?

Floyd

Hi Sharon M,

I went to Hallmark last year and took my dog with me. I won't get into specifics here because I would be typing forever, but if you want e-mail me at viviperaltaATgmail.com and I can answer any questions you may have about that. I found an awesome pet sitter and I can refer you to her.

Take care.

Viviana

Hi Wayne

Nice to hear from you. I have not had the door left open on my film but there was a scare , the lids were not put on right and people were a little nervous. It turned out ok:)Love the Hipsters site Wayne !!

Jacqueline ,

I am really enjoying the program ! Phase 1 review is this coming friday and everybody is working very hard to get it done.I have it almost completed with a couple of days to spare. There really is plenty of time to get things done if you don't procrastinate.I spend alot of time at the school just because I enjoy being around photography and the creative atmosphere.Great place to learn !

Floyd

Hello everybody! i just got accepted into the program and found this site. it sounds like everybody really likes it, right? i am really excited yet really nervous at the same time. i live in the st. louis area and that just seems like im begging to get homesick, cause i know i am going to be completely broke and not be able to come home (at all...) Are the students pretty much really friendly and try to make friends with each other?

Jacqueline, I don't remember how the paper work went but if you're that far I think your spot will be saved.

Priscilla, The people here are very friendly. The first few days are all about getting to know the people you work with. You really spend alot of time working in groups so you get to know them very well.In just the few months that I have been here I have made more friends than in the last 10 years in Oregon.Let me know if I can help with any other questions. I do enjoy it here!!

Well hello everyone. I started this board a few years back because I was thinking of going to Hallmark. I can't believe how many people have posted here and allthe great information that is now on here. I never did attend Hallmark (yet) because of some personal things that occured not long after my first post here... I'll just say that I needed to stay with the family during those times. Any ways, I am now looking at possibly starting in 2008, but still have to go through the application and interview process.... scary scary stuff lol. Any ways, just sort of looking for those that are or will be attending Hallmark in 2008. I'm 39 years old and looking at starting a totally new career in photography... Live in Wisconsin now and really don't have a lot of knowledge about photography, but I do know that it feels so right to have a camera in hand... most of you will know that feeling. I so want to learn everything I can about this art form. Any ways, to everyone on this board I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving and hope to hear from you all. :)

Tim,

I'm a current student at Hallmark. I'm very similar to you decided to study photography as a new career. I can tell you that I believe Hallmark is the best place for me. Given the 10 months and emphasis on Portriat, Commercial, and the Business side of photography it's probably one of the best programs in the US right now. It's definitely intense so if you have personal issues here they will only be magnified. As well, Turners Falls is not the most happening place on the east coast so I spend a lot of time driving to near by North Hampton for things to do. The instructors here for the most part are all very good, the school is run very well, very strict, and efficiently. If you don't do well here then you have only yourself to blame.

I can't say if it will all be worth it right now. But given the strides I continue to make in my own photographic skills and the other students and faculty that I am surrounded by I'm sure it will be the best and hardest 10 months of my life.

I will also be in Wisconsin in December for the holiday break you can email me if you want to meet up or talk more about the program. But it's great and definitely worth the effort.

Matt

m_jebbia@yahoo.com