Anyone know about Hallmark Institute of Photography?

tim_bopp

Hey! <br>

Well, I'm back after a weekend of company. Still tired but I wanted to jump in again!<br><br>

Ross:<br>

Yup, they do send packets like that so I hear, but just to clairify, I think (though I am not positive) that they only send out the roomates (students likes and dislikes etc.) to people who are looking for roomates. That also means that not all the incoming students are on there either. Of course, you probably already knew that, but I just thought I'd add it for any newbies reading. =)<br><br>

Kristin:<br>

Welcome to the gang!!!! I'm glad you joined us and you are definately right! <br><br>

Emily:<br>

Welcome to the gang as well! I'm glad you posted. Here's my story, I found out about Hallmark while doing a search on google for an interesting career. LOL Seriously, I had no idea what I wanted to do for a career. I also didn't want to go to a 2 or 4 year college, so I was looking into trade specific schools and came across Hallmark. I checked it out and requested information. Got a call and kept looking into it. Things started to click after that. My dad used to be a professional photographer as well, so it kinda feels natural. Anyway, that's my story.<br><br>

As to your questions about the certificates and jobs, I'm not really sure. I think a lot of the graduates are portrait photographers, but I am sure there are plenty of other types, as they train you for everything lol! I would suggest writing to cathy@hallmark.edu with your questions and she will definately be able to help you with the answers!<br><br>

As to the scholarships. I don't know that there are any scholarships that everybody uses. Most scholarships that I've found are competitions, and most have many things that you must do or be to qualify. I found that Hallmark's financial aid packet really doesn't give a lot of information about scholarships, it does give a lot about loans, but as for scholarships I recommend checking out the following scholarship links. They will help you find scholarships that you qualify for. They are definately worth a shot.<br>

www.allscholar.com<br>

www.fastweb.com<br>

www.collegeanswer.com<br>

www.gocollege.com<br>

www.scholarships.com<br>

www.supercollege.com<br>

If you only want to check out one or two sites check out fastweb first and all scholar second. I hope this helps you!<br><br>

Anyway, I was wondering, is anyone else incredibly nervous about going? Does anyone else have doubts? We really haven't discussed that on this board. I think we should, it might help a lot. I'm really nervous about going. I've never moved away from home before, or been out on my own. I'm not used to the kind schedule we'll have and I'm just all around terrified about such a big decision!!! One day I'll be fine and be really excited, then the next day I'll be really scared and think maybe I should wait. A few people have suggested that I wait a year, but I really don't want to because I won't be doing anything in the mean time, I'm sick of staying home and not doing anything, working at a dead end job I don't really like, and just being bored, but at the same time I'm scared to move so far away and jump into this school. Does anyone else feel the same? What are everybody elses fears, I know a lot of people are scared about paying for it, I am too, but is anyone else nervous? I hope I'm not all by myself on this limb! <br>

Anyway, I hope you all had a good weekend!!<br>

- Jules

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jules and of course the rest of the gang,

Dont worry I feel the same way. I get really bad anxiety attacks and it makes me sick to my stomach. So not only am I afraid of stepping into something so big and not knowing if I'll be good enough but I dont want to freak out and make a fool of my self. Or rather have people look at me weard. Well I guess we are in the same boat though. Everyone will be new so its a good support group to keep our minds from going nuts. I only live a little over 2 hours from there so its not to bad for myself but it will be weird none the less. Plus Im sure my mom and step father wont mind if I was to bring home some home sick friends for a weekend. :)

~Kristen

Well, I have my phone interview tomorrow. I'm getting really freaking excited about going

back to school. I did a Summer Intensive and a Digital Intensive at the Rocky Mountain

School of Photography in Missoula, MT and can't wait to progress my skills. I'm up in the

air if Hallmark will be the right choice for me. I'm sure I will get alot of questions

answered tomorrow. I want to thank all of you, as your postings have answered alot of my

questions. It would be a big move for me. Coast to coast as a matter of fact all the way

from Seattle. I want to do fashion/editorial and rock and roll photography, and am unsure

if Hallmark is the right place to pursue that. If anyone can give me any guidance I would

greatly appreciate it. I look forward to possibly meeting all of you. Good luck with

everything!

Hey,<br>

Ben:<br>

Welcome to the gang!!! I hope you're phone interview went well! Have you applied or are you still thinking? As far as Hallmark being the place to persue fasion and concert photography, I believe that they will teach you how to do that. They teach you how to do everything, so the school is not soley focused around those two areas. They'll teach you how to make a living, and how to have a falling back point. If you want to make a living doing photography, this is the place for you, but if your only interested in concert and fasion, but would rather fill in the gaps with something else than photography, this might not be the right place. Does that make sense? I hope so, I can be confusing sometimes lol!<br><br>

Anyway, thanks for posting Kristen! I feel a little better, I am having some major doubts right now though. I'm really nervous, I sure hope I feel better soon!<br><br>

So, is anyone out there planning on going to the housing socials this summer? Does anyone know what exactly they're like? Do you just tour housing or what? Annnyway, I gotta get going, we're off to a camera shop to check out some flashes and such. So catch ya all later!<br>

- Jules

I was looking though the diffrent sites with Halmark Institute of Photography and found this. It sure is nice to see what Iam getting myself into. I also was given acceptance for the class of 2006. I read though most of this. I found that all the questions and answers that I have read are also things that I was thinking about also. If anyone has more info am all ears. If you want you can look me up on photo.net Kenneth Pasternak.

Hello!

I'm also curious about Hallmark.. I'm finishing up my junior year in high school right now and I'm already stressed about getting into the institute and every other little tiny detail! My fiancee would like to go to a massage therapy school in Springfield so we're trying to find an area between Turners Falls and Springfield to live in, that way we both have a pretty equal and not too lengthy of a drive to our schools. We're starting to save our money now and get all ready that way we can move as soon as possible and we have as little suprises as possible as far as moving across the country and starting school. So here are some questions I have that I would be SO thankful to anyone who wouldn't mind answering for me!:

* Do you know of a good location between Springfield + Turners Falls to live in? If so, do you know how the rent is in the area? How is the commute?

* Do you live in Turners Falls or any surrounding areas? If so, how much do you pay for rent and how many bedrooms/bathrooms are there, and do you have a roommate? What is the least expensive area to live in around Turners Falls/Springfield? [it will hopefully just be my wife + I but we'll have to be attending school and working so we're worried about making ends meet!]

* Do you know what the percentage of applicants actually get into Hallmark is? Or the percentage of students who finish and graduate the program?

* How is the culture of the Hallmark Institute and the general culture of the surrounding areas as far as being open-minded and accepting of people that aren't considered "the norm" [by the time I am HOPEFULLY attending Hallmark, I will not just have a fiancee but a wife... Which means I will be in a same-sex marriage/civil union, so this is really important to me.] ?

* Does the entire $30,950 tuition have to be paid BEFORE attending Hallmark or are there some type of payment plans available?

Any other information is HIGHLY appreciated!

Thanks Again,

~Anxious [And Hopeful] Future Student

Hey,<br>

Hi Kenneth!! Welcome to the Hallmark Gang! Hope to see you there this fall!! <br><br>

Hi Kaeli! I loveeee your name! How do you pronounce it??? I am a sucker for unique names. Annnnyway........<br><br>

About living in the area, well I do not know much about that, but I should mention that you're going to have basically NO time to work what so ever while attending HIP, they do have a work study, but I couldn't imagine trying to work as well as keep up with school. Maybe there are student who do it, but you have to realize you will not be working much during your attendance at Hallmark. As far as roomates go, well with your situation of probably going to be 'married' (no offence meant, I just don't know the correct term) I don't know that finding a roomate would be easy. If you are interested in a roomate, the school has roomate work sheets, but I don't know if you can get one through the school if you're married. You'd have to ask them about that. As far as bathrooms and rent, I'm sure it varries a lot from apt. to apt. Maybe I can get Nate (current student) to come back and talk about that.<br><br>

I will write to Cathy about those percentages. They should be easy to find out. I'll post that soon.<br><br>

I have noooo Idea about the attitude towards non traditional people, but the staff at Hallmark has been very friendly and helpful to me, and I know that one of the graduates of Hallmark does a lot of photography of gay couples (I found his website), so I wouldn't imagine that it is a hostile environment, but I can't gaurentee that. I'll try to get Nate to come back and talk a little. <br><br>

No, tuition does not have to be paid in full before hand. Here are the payment options:<br>

<b>3-Installment Plan</b><br>

<i>Application Fee: <u>$25</u><br>

Enrollment Fee: <u>$100</u></i><br>

<b>Installment 1:</b><br>

<i>Supplies & Materials: $4,900.00<br>

Tuition 1: $8,925.00<br>

<u>Total Due on or Before September 7th: $13,825.00</u></i><br><br>

<b>Installment 2</b><br>

<i>Tuition 2: $8,500.00<br>

<u>Total Due on or Before December 1st: $8,500.00</u></i><br><br>

<b>Installment 3</b><br>

<i>Tuition 3: $8,500.00<br>

<u>Total Due on or Before March 1st: $8,500.00</u></i><br><br>

<b>Total Due to School With 3-Installment Payment Plan: <u>$30,950.00</u></b><br><br><br>

<b>Early Option Plan 1 Due on or Before June 1st</b><br>

<i>Supplies & Materials Fee:<u>$4,900</u><br>

Tuition Due Prior To Discount: $25,925<br>

<small>(Application & Enrollment Fees not included)</small><br>

Less 12% Early Payment Tuition Discount Plan 1: $3,111<br>

<small>(if paid in full on or before June 1st)</small><br>

Total Tuition with 12% Discount:<u> $22,814</u></i><br>

<b>Total Amount Due on or Before June 1st:<u> $27,714</u></b><br>

<br><br>

<b>Early Option Plan 2 Due on or Before July 15th</b><br>

<i>Supplies & Materials Fee:<u>$4,900</u><br>

Tuition Due Prior To Discount:$25,925<br>

<small>(Application & Enrollment Fees not included)</small><br>

Less 8% Early Payment Tuition Discount Plan 1: ($2,074)<br>

<small>(if paid in full on or before July 15th)</small><br>

Total Tuition with 8% Discount: <u>$23,851</u></i><br>

<b>Total Amount Due on or Before July 15th:<u>$28,751</u></b><br><br>

Anyway, Those are the payment plans, mind you they are this year's plans, so they may change year to year, but that's the basic gist of it. I hope this helps you! I will write to Cathy and Nate today. Have a great day all!<br>

- Jules

Hey jules, hey guys welcome to the gang, jules i just got my acceptance letter so im in, well thats one less thing to worry about, now i just have to pay for it right. I talk to the financal aid on friday, so hopefully they find me alot of money, hope to talk to you guys later

Congratulations Ryan!!! yay!!! *throws Confetti all over you* I'm glad to hear you're in! Don't fret too much about paying for it, I'm sure you'll find a way. We just applied for the loan today, we're gonna opt for the early plan 1. Fun stuff. Yea. <br><br>

Anyway, I recommend that ANYONE looking to go to Hallmark (or any other school for that matter) start searching for Scholarships right away! Because Hallmark is a non traditional college there are not a ton of scholarships that students are eligible for. In my case, I am eligible for even less of those few scholarships because I am homeschooled (aka I am not involved with school activities such as sports and newspaper etc.) and not terribly involved in the community. So if you want to get any scholarships, start searching and applying asap! I would be happy to share the websites that I've found to look up scholarships with anyone who wants to know. Here's the best one though, www.fastweb.com. If you would like the others, drop me an email. I would also be willing to share the websites for any scholarships I've found that I think you would be eligible for. Just drop me a note! =) <br><br>

On a side note, my dad sent me this link. It's online lessons on lighting and such. It may or may not interest some of you. If you know a better place to post it, feel free to crosspost it! Here's the link<br>

http://www.qtm.com/photoschool/index.html<br>

Well Cya Later All!<br>

- Jules

Hey Everyone, Congrats to all the new people! Its good to see new people showing up and talking on here. It is giving us a head start in meeting people. And that always a good thing.

I had filled out all the loan stuff for the banks and sent it in so hopefully I should get some good news back. There is always some tipe of waiting. You get one thing done then its something else. But just think in 5 months we will all be starting something that we love and it will all be worth it.

And Jules I am going to be going to the open house for housing,(I cant wait really) I want to know I am not going to be living in some crappy place while I'm there.

Anyways Talk to you all soon.

Kristen

Hey All Again!<br>

lol I'm starting to feel like I post too much, but I just love this board and love talking to all you Hallmark Hopefulls!! Anyway, I just got those percentages back from Cathy and I wanted to share them. She says:<br><br>

"Regarding your questions...I can tell you that we usually receive twice as many applications as seats that are available for class.

Also, the percentage of students who successfully complete the program is 87%. I hope this information helps."<br><br>

Anyway, Yea. I spoke with Nate and he'll be stopping by soon to check out the posts and answer anything he can. Anyway, I look forward to seeing some of you at the housing socials!! Have a great day All!<br>

- Jules

Hi all,

i just got back my copy of enrolment agreement signed by director and a questionare about the housing i would like to opt for,probably will be sending back the questionare next week.people interested in sharing room,contact me.

as far as equipment things are concerned,i already have following equipments

mamiya rz pro 2 body,

50mm, 110 mm, and 180 mm lens,

two 6 x 7film backs,

one polaroid back,

mirror lock-up cable release,

most of the filters,

minolta flash meter 5,

bogen tripod..

and i also got full 35mm nikon kit also.

so going by this,as college requires me to have a digital medium format camera,i would rather prefer to buy a digital back for the mamiya 6 x 7 i already have rather than going for a whole new system.i hope this will work fine for us.i just need some kind of estimate for the digital back i need for my mamiya.And i am sure leaf company makes backs for my mamiya also.so just need some advice on that.

Hey,<br>

I got my enrollment agreement back as well, and my loan papers. I didn't get the housing list though. Is that what you are talking about or are you talking about the roommate questionair? Or something totally different? <br><br>

Anyway, about the camera. I don't know anything about the camera you're talking about, but as I mentioned earlier on in this thread (I think it was this thread) I would definately recommend having the camera that they want you to have because that's what they will be teaching from. I compared it to having a biology txt book that was close but not the same as the one they were using in the class, you may end up scrambling through it to find the equivalent information and it still may not be exactly the same. The same with the camera, if they have specific lessons with or on the camera, you may end up scrambling to keep up or figure out the same thing on the camera you have. Also, the school may not have compatible lenses or other equipment for your camera, so if you wanted to use a specific lense for an assignment, you might have to buy it because they don't have it for your camera. But then, I am no expert, so I would recommend that you email Cathy (cathy@ hallmark. edu - minus the spaces) and talk to her about whether you really need the camera or not. On another note, I know there are 3 or 4 different digital backs for the mamiya afd that they require and they are not cheap (more than $3500), I would probably say that buying a back for your current camera (new) will cost you more than buying the camera they require (used.) We got the afd (along with a bag, lense, film, and some other stuff) for $2700 something off of ebay. We also got the af pro (i'm pretty sure that's what it's called) along with bag, film, tripod, light meter, macro lense, another lense, and a couple other things for $1000 off ebay, so I got almost all I need (we have to sell this light meter and get the correct one) plus quite a lot extra for less than the $5000 that the school offers. So if you look, you can find really good deals on ebay. It might be worth going that direction so that you're on the same page as everybody at school. But again, that's only my opinion. =) I hope it helps though!<br><br>

Oh, I do have a question for any of you going this fall, I am looking for people who are interested in carpooling to and from school. I cannot drive yet and won't be that great a driver by the time I get there, and am definately looking for alternate means of transportation to get to and from school. I will pitch in for gas, and such, but I thought maybe we could get a list of names going for people interested in car pooling. Anyway...<br>

See you this fall!<br>

- Jules

hey jules if i make it up there i will have a car so i could help you out with the ride i dont mind transportin people. well i sent my financal aid paper away hopefully ill find out something soon, and i did see alot of cameras on ebay and there not to expensive, i think imjust going to get the one though hallmark. well i have to thin out the TiVo its gettin full talk to you later

Ryan

Hey All, <br>

Wow, it's been a while since anyone's posted. I sure hope it isn't dying! How is everybody? How are your enrollment processes coming?

<br><br>

Hey Ryan,<br>

That's cool. Guess we're the first two on the list! I hope we get some others! I'm sure we probably will once we get up there. If you go, when do you plan on moving? Anyway, I hope you get a lot of financial aid! You should find out soon. Good luck with getting your camera which ever way you go! Feel free to drop me a line. <br><br>

Well, catch ya'll later!<br>

- Jules

Hello everybody! Sorry I haven't been posting anything on here. It's been crazy time at my job - lots of projects to do that I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. Well, I haven't heard much from the school lately, I got my enrollment agreement recently, so I have to send that back with the deposit. My FAFSA was sent in, but I haven't heard from Kristin (in Financial Aid) yet. Does anyone who's further along than I know if this is the norm? They wait until they get the enrollment agreement before they let you know they money situation? It's the only thing I'm stressing about - money! I plan on attending the housing socials, definately. I only live a little over an hour away, so it's not too much of a drive for me. If anyone is going to be in the Worcester area and needs a lift, lets carpool? Contact me! Hope everyone is doing okay. Just take a deep breath and it all will turn out for the best in the end, (fingers crossed!). Welcome! to all the newbies out there that I haven't talked to yet! Get in touch with me, it'd be great to talk to you guys about this school and since we'll be future classmates. Enjoy the rest of the week everyone. Do something fun this weekend and take loads of pictures.

Ross!!!!<br>

Welcome back! I was starting to wonder if you'd dropped off the face of the earth (hey.. you coulda got some cool pictures. lol) Anyway, about the forms. I don't quite remember about the enrollment agreement (they had some problems with 5 students EA's and I happened to be one of them) but I don't think they wait for it. I believe she will contact you as soon as she recieves the information from the FAFSA or shortly there after. FAFSA also emails you with your PIN and SAR. So I would look for their email and then the call from Kristin, but if you have any concerns or just want to touch base don't hesitate to write her an email. I do that quite often and they're very happy to let you know what's going on. =)

<br><br>

Anyway, I hope you all don't mind that I post so much! I just love this board!<br>

- Jules

Hey everyone,

Well I think I am pritty much all set with everything for the school; all the forms anyways. I sent them in and have gotten them back. Plus I got exepted for the Loan so thats a good thing. So now all I am ready to look for a nice apartment. But the car pooling sounds good. We have to wait to see where everyone is going to be living but it would help out of gas for everyone.

sorry this isnt that long today has been CRAZY! I'll write back later. You can always send me an e~mail to.

Talk to you all later.

~Kristen

Hey all!! Im Patrick and i will be attending Hallmark in Sep. I have been reading the post for sometime now. And i keep getting more and more excited about Hallmark. All my paperwork is done and now im just waiting like the rest of you. So i thought that i would get my name out and say hi. I am 21 and from IL just out side of Chicago.

Patrick

Welcome to the Gang Patrick! I'm glad you stopped by. It's nice to get to speak with so many people that I'll be seeing this fall! Are you planning on attending the housing socials? We should get a list of people who plan on attending so we can all look for eachother to say hello. Well, again, welcome to the gang!<br>

- Jules