Anyone know about Hallmark Institute of Photography?

tim_bopp

Hi,

Just to contribute a bit of info to anyone peeking in here. Model mayhem is a great place to locate models at, as well as One Model Place. MM is very user friendly and FREE (we all like free now don't we lol) OMP is not as user friendly but still a good place to find models at.

Also graduate of 2006 Lesley Arak each month puts on a group shoot (or portfolio development day as it's also called) basically she gets a bunch of models together and photographers get to come and photograph them! It's $150 per month to come but the shots you get are AMAZING. For the morning you get coffee and doughnuts *sometimes doughnuts* a pizza lunch and she also has a lot of bottled water on hand

The shoots have helped me so much with being able to direct my subjects and just interact better. You don't have to have already been a photographer before hallmark to go, anyone is welcome. Just bring your camera and have fun! They help me so much with the STRESS of Hallmark deadlines and I also shoot some assignments there. :) :) :)

Model Mayhem:

www.modelmayhem.com

One Model Place:

www.onemodelplace.com

Group shoot info:

http://www.myspace.com/fnsstudios

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone!

Being a prospective 2008-2009 Student, I would like to thank everyone for the unbelievably helpful posts (even the not so welcoming ones). I think, when making these major decisions, it is a wise idea to look at all aspects of it, including the not-so-successful stories.

I had my interview yesterday and in the process of gathering my materials within my two week deadline. Nice to meet all the other 08-09 hopefuls that have posted above, and if we are all accepted and able to attend, I look forward to meeting all of you as well.

I currently live in Clinton, Iowa, which is a grain of salt little town an hour away from the quad cities (if anyone is familiar with Iowa). I am twenty and will have my AAS in Graphic Design in may and hope to attend Hallmark in Sep. I have been photographing in my area for several years, have won several local awards for my fine art photography but, this is not the area to be bragging about such. There isn't much of a market so I look to Hallmark not only to help shape my still raw talents but, hopefully be able to make a living off of the career that I love.

If anyone is interested they may check out my current work at my website, www.pkorovilas.com, or a highlight of my latest fine art project, "project+", at nationally recognized writer Jonothan Blooms website, www.wastedfood.com/gallery.

"Project+" is a series of 11x16 canvas prints, studying the issues of food waste, human nature, and our effects on the environment. It has moved around locally but I hope, as I build the volume of work, it will move around the country, I am hoping for all 50 states, sometime in my life. I think we live in an extraordinary time in human history and we are holding on to a lot of negative habits that we must learn to drop if we hope to successful continue to increase our population in a world of increasingly scarce resources. If anyone has any reading time I found a fantastic piece of online reading that currently puts our current world situation into perspective: http://www.naturalnews.com/report_Seven_Words_0.html .

Anyways, I think I got a little off subject but, I do hope to attend and make the large step to a career in the work that I love. I hope to meet all of you prospective students and continue to see these extremely helpful posts.

Thanks,

-Pantelis A. Korovilas

• 2 weeks later...

AGE? Well for those of you worried about the age thing, I'm in my late 50's and have been

accepted and plan to be a part of the class of 2008/2009. I'm visiting the school in the

next two weeks to take the tour. Looking through the lens has no age barrier. In fact I

think this is a perfect time in life to do this. What better way to shed the corporate world

with something you love to do.

I have to admit I never thought I'd be taking out a student loan at this age. In fact I just

paid off my daughters student loan this year. But why not? It's never too late to see a

dream come true.

I do some photography work on the side now, portraits, engagements etc. But I want to

learn everything I can about photography so when I do a shoot, I have the utmost

confidence that I will make it the best experience and the best results for the client.

That's why I'm looking into the Hallmark School. I think they have the best to offer from

all I've seen.

My goal is to be the best photographer I can be. Not what someone else thinks I should

be, but what I know I can be. I have a lot to learn. I want to improve my techniques, my

style, find what direction I want this to take me to. I'm not sure, not even at this age, but I

want to find out. And I plan on doing just that.

So hopefully no one thinks age is the issue. Being creative can happen anytime in your

life. I'm just glad it's happening to me.

Looking forward to a fun, intense year with a whole new set of friends and colleagues.

Jerry,

My name is Jim Roselli and I am a current student at Hallmark. You should know that I am

in my mid fifties, alive and doing well at Hallmark. I retired from a career as an

Information Technology Executive last March and wanted to launch a second career.

I dabbled in photography my entire life. Over the last two years while I was working full

time, I became a partner is a photo studio. My goal was to learn as much as possible

during this time and to decide if I was ready for a full time photography career. I did

some soul searching and decided that I needed more formal training that what I acquired

myself.

Did my research and decided on Hallmark.

The main reason for this was that I did not want to at my age, go to a 2 or 4-year

program. I didn?t think that I would have the patience for that.

Having visited at one of the open houses, I knew it was the place for me.

I see in your post that you will be attending Sunday?s open house. Please look me up as I

will be assisting in the portrait studio. You?ll recognize me, as I will be the older student

in the crowd.

You can view my self-portrait by taking this link:

http://hallmark.edu/studentgallery/2008/2/

If your goal is to learn all you can about photography, then get ready to rock and roll. As

you will learn in the open house presentation, the program is immersive and you will be

amazed at the amount of content you will manage. They start with the basics, but before

long, you?ll be shooting with a digital back, processing your workflow with LightRoom and

be well on your way.

One of the other benefits is that every student there is passionate about learning the craft.

It?s a very stimulating environment and well worth your time and investment.

I look forward to meeting you this Sunday.

Jim thanks for the response and thanks for the information. Actually i fly in on Sunday but

not sure if I will arrive in time for the open house. I've asked Tracy Carner to possibly set up

some meetings for me on Monday with some of the students and am hoping you won't mind

if i give her your name as well. I asked to speak to some of the older students to get more of

a feel for what it would be like myself. I'm looking forward to the visit. Lots to decide over

the next few weeks. I'm sure seeing it in person and talking with people will help

tremendously. Thanks again and appreciate your time responding.

• 2 months later...
I see that no one really writes anything on here anymore. Why is that? Right now I am just anxiously awaiting to hear back from Hallmark to see if I am accepted for the fall. I have about one more week to wait. I had a few question for the people who might know. I haven't heard anyone discuss if they work while attending Hallmark. I would think that in order to live, you would need a job to pay for living expenses. Maybe I would just need to take out more loans. I'm not too sure about all of this. Does anyone know? Also, are there any other single mothers going to Hallmark?

Hi Jennifer,

Have you checked out http://www.hallmarkhipsters.net

There is a chat forum there where you chat with alumni and current students.

I know some that had part time jobs while attending but personally I would recommend you plan to not work a job. You may be able to

make some money with your photography while there but plan for enough funds to support yourself while attending.

Cheers,

Wayne Wallace HIP '05

• 3 months later...

Its been awhile since anyone has posted here....sooooo as the new kid on the forums...I suppose I could start it up again.

I am really interested in Hallmark. I found it online LAST year, but didn't think I could sell the idea to my parents. I have started college this Fall, and I am finding that it is really not my thing. (Which is funny to me because I always thought I was cut out to be one of those people that ends up with a PhD "because")

Do those of you that have gone through the program already think it would be advisable to go to Hallmark before getting a degree? It seems so many jobs in the world now require that of you...and if photography didn't work out, I would be up to my ears in debt and I wouldn't have a college degree to find a job to pay for it....mmmm?

Photography is something that really gets me going though. I love it, I'm interested by it, I think it would be a great way to enable my travel-bug...

Please help me with anything you've got...I want the good and the bad...Wayne, you seem to be the guy to go to for the good...

I honestly have seen VERY FEW negatives about the school...and in some ways that kinda scares me. It seems to good a thing to be true I suppose.

Hi Jessy,

This is a pretty common thing, most people that don't have the bug or know about the professional world of photography

think you can't make a career out of it, you know the whole starving artist thing. I bet many people can tell you their

parents or friends thought they were crazy. I left a 20 year career to do it and I don't regret it for a minute. In fact last

night I spoke with a friend from a decade ago and she said "I love finding people I haven't talked to in a decade who

have taken risks, and doing what they love!".

The reality is you can make a career out of photography, make a lot of money and have the lifestyle you want wether

that is traveling, working with kids, doing high end advertising work or just creating great portraits for regular people.

The other reality is you need to be sure you want this. It's not all peaches and cream, Hallmark will give you a great

foundation and I'm doing all I can to create a solid alumni network with hallmarkhipsters.net, but the reality is you must

want this as a career and you need to give it 110% and not think about back up plans in case it doesn't work.

Hallmark is not a Hobby school, you can get all the hobby training you want online right on this website. If you want to

have an edge over everyone else and a great launch pad for a career in photography then Hallmark is the right thing.

Hallmark is a very structured and rigorous program, kinda like boot camp for photography. They will train you to go out

and be a photographer and work in any part of the industry at a better level than anyone else. I can't tell you how many

times I've heard from fellow alumni "these people I'm working with don't know what they are doing".

If you want to get a degree in photography because you plan on teaching at a university later that may be advisable, I

know several grads that have either gone to art college before or after Hallmark.

Hope that helps

;-)

• 9 months later...
<p>Kimball Chambers Class of 1977 (32 yr.s ago) I'm no longer in the photo business, but I would not trade the 10 months at Hallmark for any amount of money. I have ranged the gamit in all the types of photography. I have held jobs none would like but the stamina I learned at Hallmark pulled me through. With the lighting knowledge that I learned there I have been able to be a technical director for a civic center. With marketing I learned I've been able to sell my work and others. With this knowledge i'm Entering into a new phase of discovery to set my sites on a bigger venue and enter the field of marketing using the knowlegde from Hallmark and life experiences. When I was at Hallmark film is all there was and to try to make all those deadlines with only 2 film darkrooms was a nightmare. But oh the good times of friendships made. Most of them have long gone on to great things. But i remember each one with fondness. Someday I would like to speak at the school not as lecturer but as an alumnus that is greatful to George Rosa Sr. for having started this school, to give these talented people a chance to learn from people that have been in the field. I remember George saying one thing about photography,and it is this 98% of photography is something the photographer has to creat a desire for. One more is nothing happens until the sale is made. thank you for reading God Bless and good night.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Hi! I'm seriously considering attending Hallmark for my photography education. If anyone has any info. they can give me or pointers on attending the school it would be greatly appreciated.<br>

I have a few questions: Is the work load so crazy I wouldn't be able to hold a part-time job? Do I have to use housing or can I commute daily? And I'm sure I'll come with more...<br>

Thanks in advance!!!</p>

<p>Jen,<br>

I am a 2009 graduate. I would highly NOT recommend working at all during the 10 months. Think about what you want to accomplish with your time. You may be able to do a little extra work, but at what cost? Once you are involved in phase two or three (total of four phases), do you want to try to do everything and anything to get the best portfolio? Or do you just want to do what you can to get anything done for the assignments. I only know of one person who worked and successfully graduated. And he did design stuff on the computer and corresponded on-line with his people. He did say that he wished he didn't commit to them. He would rather spend any extra time on his portfolio or just to rejuvenate.<br>

Where and how far are you thinking of commuting from? I lived in Greenfield and it took about 15 minutes to get to school. Not bad. Think about it this way. In phase three and four toward the end of each phase, we were at school 12 to 14 hours a day. We were going to classed during the day and at night shooting, re-shooting, editing, retouching, you name it.<br>

I guess the bottom line is: Really think about what type of experience you want to have at Hallmark. Do you want to exist like you have in the outside world during your time here or do you want to put all of you in a very intensive 10 program and get all of what you can out of it?<br>

Hope this helps. If you have other specific questions, please ask away.<br>

Gidget<br>

P.S. Someone may have other advise for you. Which is great. You'll be able to make an informed decision, even better for you.</p>

<p>Hi Jen,<br>

I would second the NOT working while in school but I know people that did work part time.<br>

Housing is provided by home owners in the area so you will commute no matter what.<br>

If you want to join the http://www.hallmarkhipsters.net chat forum you can get lots of information there as well from graduates.<br>

If I can be of any assistance let me know<br>

Cheers,<br>

Wayne</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Man, are you guys serious? I just checked out their tuition and you will pay over $60,000 for a 1 year course! NOT! You could take thousands of workshops for less money, and workshops taught by the biggest names in photography. Holy cow.<br>

Wayne, have you ever ran a workshop teaching others on photo techniques? It would be great to pay you $500 to teach me everything you know about portrait lighting. Not sure why anyone would want to go into debt so much so that they couldn't invest in the equipment they need for the fields they are training students for in the first place.</p>

<p>Hi Libby,<br>

I've seen the work of others coming from other photography or community college schools and their work and training is no way comparable to what they learn at Hallmark. Sure you can learn a lot from the internet, a book or a workshop, but it doesn't compare with having a structured program and the environment they create for learning.<br>

I have not run any workshops myself as of yet, I don't want to teach my local competition all my secrets and even if I did I would not teach everthing I know.<br>

It's an investment for sure, but IMHO well worth the investment.<br>

Cheers,<br>

Wayne</p>

<p>Wayne:<br>

u seem pretty cool. good 2 hear you're proud of your school but come on, you mean to say that there's no other photo schools w/ talented students? im checking out other schools that seem just as good as hallmark. their guest speakers r amazing, but doesn't look like any of them graduated from there. most of them r grads of other schools, or no schools at all. get out and check out other schools dude.<br>

just spoke with a couple local photographers and they haven't heard of hallmark. the work looks good on their site but so don't other schools. just caught up in the price for a 1 year institute, that's it. there was a dude who went to the boston university school of digital arts - cdia??? and kept a blog that seemed pretty cool and their price is 23,000 for the same thing. have 2 move there but i could definitely save tons of cash and its boston university, not an unknown school. <br>

hope ur getting lots of work. ur on here a lot blogging during times i would think most photographers should be shootin.</p>

<p>Elain,<br>

I didn't say there weren't other schools, there certainly are other schools.<br>

I'm just saying the quality of work I've seen of people coming to inquire about a job with me has not been that great. I don't bother looking at schools now or other photographers I have a business to run and money to make but I try to help those that want my advice.<br>

I would hire a Hallmark grad over another because I know what they have learned.<br>

I looked at other schools, and for me the Hallmark program was better for me than a 3-4 yr program. The photography market is very competitive so you need every edge you can get. I was graduated and in business while others were still going through a 3-4 yr program.<br>

I get plenty of work and several photographers a week that want to come work for me or learn from me. If you run your own business you don't shoot 24/7 you spend a lot of time managing your business.<br>

Make the choice that's right for you.<br>

Cheers,<br>

Wayne</p>

<p> </p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Kristopher,<br>

In my opinion, they are looking for someone who will commit to the program. This means that you will stay, apply yourself and graduate the program. They do not want someone who will get there and drop out after a few weeks or months.<br>

Be yourself and express your passion for photography and you will do just fine.<br>

Gidget (Graduate of Hallmark Class of 2009) </p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>Help Please!<br />I am an emancipated minor, and have high hopes to go to Hallmark next year!<br />I did well at my interview, however if I get accepted, I am not sure how to handle the debt I will be facing. The program is what I am looking for, I am extremely passionate about photography and work hard, however at 17 the tuition fee is more then I can comprehend<br />So 3 questions<br />1) how much $ should I have prepared for props ect., expenses while enrolled (aprx)<br />2)Do they supply you with a camera free for the 10 months<br />3)What does their current loan plan look like, I barely have $ saved, only enough to cover living expenses for the 10 months.<br />Photography is really what I love, and Hallmark seems like the best fit, however will I be able to pay that debt off without it burdening me for 20 years? Will I be allowed into Hallmark at all without 30k saved up?<br />Please help!<br />-Whitney</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>Hi Whitney!<br>

They do supply the students with cameras and lenses, I have being there<br>

on january 06, it'<strong>s amazing. </strong><br>

I'm also hoping to go to Hallmark at september 2010.<br>

And we have the same wories, how to handle the finance debt.<br>

If anyone who did graduate could <strong>replay</strong> and let us know how your're<br>

paying or how long you took to pay off the loan.<br>

Thank You!<br>

Val Messer</p>

<p> </p>

• 1 month later...
<p>They welcome you with open arms. I was going to go a few years ago and I would have been 58. They made me feel very welcome during the interviews and process. Things changed for me in the interim and I never did end up going, but I can say age has no bearing on their requirements. It's about talent and passion and if you have them, you'll do just as well as the younger student. </p>