Would Someone Educate me on 110 SLRs?

Discussion in 'Modern Film Cameras' started by ben_hutcherson, Jan 1, 2018.

1. I have(and use) 645, 6x6, 6x7, and 4x5. In the past I've been anti-645, but the nifty little Pentax 645 I picked up before Christmas has sort of changed that with how convenient and small it is. I still consider the Rolleiflex one of the most perfect camera designs ever made, and pull out my RB67 when I don't mind the weight. My SQ-A is probably most used on the whole, though. I'm going to shoot a plate or two this afternoon if I feel like braving the cold.

Still, though, these small SLRs intrigue me.
  2. Yes, the Mercury II, not the earlier one.

The one I have works, though I didn't do any timing tests on the shutter.
    As well as I know, the shutter moves pretty slow, compared to many other focal
    plane shutters.

One thing, though. Well, I only had one roll through it, but it didn't stop winding at the end.
    There is enough slip on the take-up spool that you can still wind. I suspect that is true
    for many older cameras.
  3. HG65.jpg

Taken with a Mercury II.
  4. "In the past I've been anti-645,....."

- I used to have the same opinion until I realised that I was cropping most of my 6x6 negatives to fit rectangular printing paper, and mentally composing into a horizontal or vertical rectangle.

I bought a Mamiya 645 and didn't look back - or waste huge areas of film any more. 6x6 only really makes sense with a TLR; and the TLR design makes no sense to me anyway.

Nowadays the quality of 645 is easily matched by a full-frame DSLR of course, and sub-miniature film camera image quality is totally exceeded by an equally tiny and lightweight digital compact. Or phone camera.
  5. On the Hasselblad 500 you can have the A16 back that shoot 645 and how do you change from vertical to horizontal shot? The back revolves?
  6. - No. I think you flip the camera on its side and get a crick in your neck! Or shoot sideways.

The revolving back is a much-neglected facility - and probably we should be thankful. Can you imagine a 6x9 version of the Mamiyaflex TLR with a revolving back? Dr Frankenstein would be proud of such a creation.
  7. I tend to use prisms on 645s, but find them too big on anything larger. My Pentax doesn't give any other option!

Thank goodness for the rotating back on the RB67.
  8. Seriously how the heck can you turn the camera and shoot with the waist level finder?
  9. I can do it on my Rolleiflex :) . Granted there's no point in it, but still.

My first Rollei(a Rolleicord Va) came with a 645 frame mask and 16-frame counter. I used it that way for a while-I finally ended up buying a parts camera to get the 12 frame counter. When I did do verticals, I used the action finder and made a mask.
  10. I think the little-known 6x6 cm Rectuflex made in Freedonia had a rotating back, didn't it?

11. I like my Mamiyas. I think there would be nothing too wrong about a revolving back 6x9 version. - Yes, it would be a tad bigger and heavier and most likely not my first choice as a touristic camera.
    OTOH: I doubt the revolving back to add much weight to my Technika but believe it makes shooting a press camera hand held more convenient.
    Given a chance I'd happily try a 6x9 or even 4x5" TLR with chimney finder at the usual Mamiya price point.
    I don't like prism finders for two reasons: (Other) people and affordable tripods tend to be too short. + Lifting a camera up to m eye is significantly more work than getting the lens just up to my breast.
    TLR advantages: No need to compose through your orange filter and also no focusing obstacles created by your softeners.
    Shooting RFs instead is of course an alternative.
    No SLR bashing intended; I guess everybody has some somewhere? With the bigger formats view cameras can be a better choice for portability. It is just the lens and the not that great roll holder I have for my Voigtländer Bergheil 6.5x9 that keep me from trying to take more landscape pictures with it.