What difference does it make if you really know your subject?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Julie H, Feb 19, 2017.

1. "... often what talkers undertake to do is not to provide information to a recipient but to present dramas to an audience. Indeed, it seems that we spend most of our time not engaged in giving information but in giving shows." — Erving Goffman
    <br><br>
    *************​
    <br><br>
    Performance
    <br><br>
    All of the following quotes are from Erving Goffman:
    <br><br>
    "A performance, in the restricted sense in which I shall now use the term, is that arrangement which transforms an individual into a stage performer, the latter, in turn being an object that can be looked at in the round and at length without offense, and looked to for engaging behavior, by persons in an 'audience' role."
    <br><br>
    A footnote to the above notes "a quality of performance" from the writings of Dell Hymes, which is that "there is a sense in which performance is an attribute of any behavior, if the doer accepts or has imputed to him responsibility for being evaluated in regard to it." [bolding added by me]
    <br><br>
    "In formulating a separation of some kind between person and role, one should in no way precommit oneself to notions about the 'essential' nature of each. There is a tendency to assume that although role is a 'purely' social matter, the engine that projects it — the person or individual — is somehow more than social, more real, more biological, deeper, more genuine. This lamentable bias should not be allowed to spoil our thinking. The player and the capacity in which he plays should be seen initially as equally problematic and equally open to a possible social accounting."
    <br><br>
    "Assume that the sense of any strip of activity is linked to the frame of the experience and that there are weaknesses inherent in this very framing process."
    <br><br>
    "My concern ... is to learn about the way we take it that our world hangs together, and for this, artful means for deceiving are as instructive as artful means for nosing out deception ... "
    <br><br>
    "To be 'natural,' then, is not merely to seem at ease, but to be acting in such a way as to convince others that the apparent frame is in fact the actual one. That is what is meant, functionally speaking, by sincerity and spontaneity. When we deal with an incompetent person and find it difficult not to smile, or deal with a mad one and find it difficult not to show fear, or deal with the police and find it difficult not to show guilt, what we are tending to give away is not a person, ourselves, but a frame, one that we have been maintaining. These affects and responses are only incidentally of persons; they are primarily about frames, and it is only in frame terms that one can make sense of the concern shown in regard to them."

2. Norman 202

Norman 202 i am the light

3. Thank you to everybody who posted their response to the OP question, "What difference does it make if you really know your subject?" here in the Philosophy forum.
    <br><br>
    I've enjoyed the many different opinions and descriptions in response to the OP question that were offered. The wide diversity of views and approaches that turns up in these discussions never fails to amaze me. I'm the wiser for it.

4. Norman 202

5. "A performance, in the restricted sense in which I shall now use the term, is that arrangement which transforms an individual into a stage performer, the latter, in turn being an object that can be looked at in the round and at length without offense, and looked to for engaging behavior, by persons in an 'audience' role." Julie quote.

And they called him/her Legion as there were so many who inhabited that personae and they were all just one among many. What does the above Julie quote tell us? Very little.

Allen Herbert said:

"A stranger will often reveal truths about themselves to a stranger "...

" We need only, so that the miracle may be accomplished, apply our lips to the magic orifice and invoke …"Julie quote.

What does that quote mean or comminicate. That a poster is full of BS why not just say it...why the need for a crutch or is it a case of being too scared to speak your own mind? Ive had my breakfast so im not peckish; promise Ill not eat you.. Try challenging the thoughts with your own mind not some banel quote.

"I've found that to be so true. People just want to talk and have somebody listen and engage. A kind of therapy, perhaps. That's what makes approaching strangers on the street for portraits so interesting". Brad.

Just think two stangers meeting in a bar.They will be more open to each other because they they do not need to play the part that family/ friends and lovers expect.Just themselves.....to a stranger just passing ships in the night. Think of the friendly barman a confidont of secrets.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  6. Julie.

To add a photo or quote to illustrate your thoughts is interesting. To quote endless quotes spanning page after page is boring. Jeez, cannot help thinking there's an examination at the end of it. There, you have been told off...don't take it to heart.
    Interested in Julies thoughts not a thousand and one others.

7. Technically a poor photo..
    But an enjoyable encounter for both of us...and the photo reveals that.

L9810108.JPG

8. He took camera and photographed everyone an anyone...a naturally happy person who was a privilege to meet..
    What was particularly interesting he had no hang ups talking to me....sort of felt he was so open about himself without any stage presence.
    If you follow my meaning.

9. It's a constant mystery to me why people who don't like my posts — and, for that matter, my threads — keep reading them. If something hurts, stop doing it. Easy peezy lemon squeezy. Try it.
    <br><br>
    Or use the lovely Ignore button.

10. "keep reading them. If something hurts, stop doing it. Easy peezy lemon squeezy. Try it."

I like your posts and I think you are a very witty insightful person; I always read them.
    I just struggle with the endless quotes, which i seldom read,, but i always read what Julie has to say.

Methinks I don't walk alone in those thoughts.

11. Its the same logic, people are attracted to stuff that make them uncomfortable, like art for instance. Shouldn't be mystery to you. ;)

12. Just do your thing, Julie. If you want to post a thousand quotes does it matter really matter;:
    Just like to poke around into personalities to undestand them. Chill girl.

13. <br><br>
    Well, if you insist. This is C.P. Snow writing about the mathematician G.H. Hardy who had taken a cab to visit the math genius Ramanujan in the hospital (English weather killed him):
    <br><br>
    "Hardy, always inept about introducing a conversation, said, 'I thought the number of my taxi-cab was 1729. It seemed to me rather a dull number.' To which Ramanujan replied: 'No Hardy! It is a very interesting number. It is the smallest number expressible as the sum of two cubes in two different ways' [1cubed + 12cubed or 9cubed + 10cubed]."
    <br><br>
    People are ... different. Wonderful (when they're not being un-wonderful.)

14. The Human in her natural environment....
    Pleased I managed to post this photo the new software is challenging for me...being somewhat thick.

15. Supriyo, you're making me uncomfortable. [I can't bring myself to use a smiley. They make me uncomfortable.]

16. Norman 202

i find Julie's quoted posts frustrating rather than uncomfortable. I want to know what she feels rather than how well researched she is. Yes, this is the Philosophy forum and it shouldn't be all about anecdotal evidence, but this thread (read the title, folks) is all about what one's experiences in taking photographs.

As for the ignore button, no gentleman of a certain age would dream of ignoring a young lady (sarcasm smili follows)

17. Allen, that lady's face is very, very red.

18. "People are ... different. Wonderful (when they're not being un-wonderful.)" Julie Hooley quote.

Ha, wonderful is wonderful we should hold it sacred forever.

19. <br><br>
    First thing to learn about the Philosophy forum: you *never* get what you want. Enjoy it.