TriX ... TMY in drag?

r_david

I shot and developed my first roll of Tri-X in 35 years. THAT was not the Tri-X I grew up with. It looked liked TMY - both developed in full

strength D-76.

HP5 looks more like old Tri-X - although, I haven't shot HP5 in a couple of years.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I stuck in nostalgia?

Yup, I noticed that as well about 10 years ago.

Tri-X now resembles 1990s T-Max 400. More

sensitizing dye and iodide content, stronger

residual purple base tint (whereas my older Tri-X

negatives dried neutral steely gray), finer

grain... good film, but not really Tri-X any

more.

The differences show in the same developers used

than and now, especially HC-110 and D-76. By the

time I began using Diafine Kodak had already

changed Tri-X so I'm not sure how that classic

combination should have looked.

Alas, HP5+ isn't quite like old Tri-X either.

Good film, more of a classic look, but not a

substitute.

Meanwhile, I began to prefer TMY for pushing. It suits me better at 1600 in Microphen.

<p>In 100 foot rolls, Tri-X costs about as much per foot as for 36exp rolls. I believe that isn't true for TMY, but I haven't looked so carefully.</p>

<p>TMY should be T-grain, and Tri-X not T-grain, but otherwise they might not be so different. </p>

<p>I first started using Diafine when I was 10 years old, after my grandfather taught me about it, and not long before I inherited most of his photography equipment. It has been my favorite over the years. In 8th grade, I did school yearbook photography with it, usually with Tri-X at EI 1200 or 1600, and available light. (The rooms had one wall of mostly windows, so a little more light than many classrooms.) </p>

<p>I don't know that I ever tried to directly compare old and new, though. </p>

<p> </p>

-- glen

<p>I haven't bought TX lately, I don't get the look I want which is the look I got in the 70's and 80's when I shot miles of the stuff. Nowadays it costs too damn much and I get closer to the look I want with HP-5 although it isn't quite the same either.</p>

<p>Rick H.</p>

<p>I mostly shoot ORWO these days and leave the kodak stuff alone. I find the UN54 (px like, in tones) and N74+ (gritty on a good day) are the grade of films I used back then. Rick, if you look into using bad processing techniques (the ones we naturally strive not to do), you can get that look back with any film.</p>

<p>R David - I couldn't agree more. A fortnight ago I shot and developed my first roll of TX400 in years... For all that time I had been using mostly APX and RPX films. The TX400 was developed in home-brewed FX-15, the developer I've been using most recently. Results? Surely, it does not resemble the old TRI-X, the images being visually quite pleasing nonetheless...</p><div>00dReF-558074584.jpg.ddd8c0ada30920c95ecfcc19b9d1af14.jpg</div>