The land of my Dreams

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by johntoennessen, Jun 11, 2020.

1. GreatSaltLake900.jpg

This was taken back in 2004 while on the causeway to Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake. The clouds and the lighting were amazing to me. This photo as some do inspired me poetically. If this is not acceptable please advise me and I will not post this type again. Thanks for viewing

The Land of my Dreams

oh the land of my dreams
    where everything is
    as fine as it seems

where purpose does not
    have to be justified
    where people are people
    who have no need
    to be satisfied

where people can be
    what they want to be
    restricted by no one
    simple, natural and free

where color is no issue
    all tongues are one
    communication is shared
    with grace and fun

a land where there are
    no wants or needs
    nothing taken
    there is no greed

all tomorrows are
    met with the son
    joyous for all
    and all are for one

peace and harmony
    fill this domain
    no one points fingers
    there is no blame or shame

no hunger
    no thirst
    no last
    no first
    no pain nor anger
    nothing obscene
    can be found in the
    land of my dreams

where enemies are
    nowhere to be found
    friendships prevail
    yet no one is bound

oh the land of my dreams
    where everything is
    as fine as it seems

2. Lousy crop.

3. I admire anyone who can set a photo to poetry. Good for you. I hope you’ll keep it up. I sense more and more, people are developing ways to present photos with other things and make photos more interactive than they may have traditionally been. It opens a lot of doors.

4. Way back when I did a photography course, one of our assignments was to take a photo based on a poem or piece of prose.The association of a photo with text/prose is very powerful. As is yours.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

5. The thing is Mike you can write 10,000 words of magnificent poetry.

But, the reality is, folks are far more interesting in lining their pockets with gold.

The poetry is just poetry stuff.

Mindlessness in the real world..

mikemorrell likes this.
  6. "The association of a photo with text/prose is very powerful. Mike."

A photo without text is far more powerful.

A photograph has its own language, unfortunately ,most folks cannot read or understand, they have not the eye. So, they need words, having very limited imagination of their own. They need a comforting hand. Sad..

I suppose some folk will never understand nuclear science, or Art, by the same token.

Just the way it is,

But they can still write a load of nonsense for the.....

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  7. A photo without text is far more powerful.

Would you like me to hold your hand ,so you can understand the nonsense, you are talking. ? Or, discover for yourself.

Best way.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  8. Few, if any, of the masterpieces of the Art of photography, need a single word.

9. William Michael

William Michael Moderator Staff Member

Agree. If one is to use Plain Verse, it best be iambic pentameter.

Also agree. Moreover, agree more than the above agreement.

WW

michaellinder and samstevens like this.
  10. I generally don't use “masterpieces” as a photographic gauge. People will enjoy making photos for all sorts of reasons and don't need to aspire to the masterpiece.
    The language and vocabulary of photography and art have changed over the years and likely will continue to do so. What a heretic Man Ray was for directly exposing objects on photo paper to light, having the nerve not to use a camera. How dare Alfred Stieglitz talk of the nausea traditional Pictorialist photography caused him as he ventured into the unknowns and unheard-of language of Modernism?

Lately, still in pandemic shutdown mode, I’ve been watching some movies of the French New Wave. Godard, for example, paid homage to great classics of film and literature, simultaneously eschewing the need to make films in those same languages. He virtually broke cinematic grammar. He also includes many sequences of the written word in various forms in his films to great effect.

There is much to learn about art and much, as yet unknown, to be done with it.

michaellinder and Ricochetrider like this.
  11. Sounds like Heaven to me...

michaellinder likes this.
  12. Thank you for your response Harry. Heaven is the land of many dreams. Many including myself hope to be there someday.

13. Very creative, John. They go together. Of course they belong here.

14. Me, I’ve got no chance, according to the myth makers. So I’ll be hanging out with Jimi and Janice and the rest of the undeserving. Should be very interesting.

15. imagine

Ricochetrider likes this.
  16. While not particularly enamored of either the presented photo or the poem, I see value in both- AND I see the value of adding a poem to a photograph. Furthermore, combining the two is a great way to memorialize or highlight a special moment- as you seem to have done here. If YOU love the photo and your poetic accompaniment, then it's perfect! Of course, it's always nice to get some form of affirmation to our endeavors from our peers- that said, it's always completely possible to simply please oneself. No need to follow the well beaten path.

Poetry has been accompanied by many things over the years, so why not a photo and a poem? Both have their place in my heart. I, for one, am all in on the concept of combining photography and poetry.

17. With this I will disagree.

First off, I love many things, including people, places, and my own photos, that are far from perfect. Some I even love for their imperfections.

Secondly, what you say has some truth to it in terms of our doing photography as an often very personal matter. Nevertheless, this kind of ME prioritization is too often an excuse not to improve, not to recognize that communication as intended is not happening, and not to learn from a world rich with perspectives other than our own.

Often, the photos of mine (and others) I most often “love” at first can easily fade over time. On the other hand, photos of mine (and others) that at first give me difficulty or are somewhat outside my taste range are often ones that stand the test of time and that I come to love more than many quicker loves. I love a challenge more than ease.

What is it about each that you are not enamored with? Instead of focusing on how the author of the poem and photo judges them, he’s asked for your judgments. So, he’s already told us that he’s interested in something in addition to his own opinions.

My own critique would suggest that I find the mood of the photo still and sublime yet leaning a bit toward a too-sweet Hallmark card. The purple cast is off-putting and the crop extreme and distracting.

The poem creates a similar mood so is a good companion but, again, the mood itself doesn’t explore much more than a sweet surface.

18. John, I think the image and the poem suit each other well.

19. Please pass on my best regards to each of them, Sam. Tell them how much I wish to see them, whether separately or together, in concert again.

Ricochetrider likes this.
  20. Here's the last stanza of a poem I wrote after my first time in Israel (1999-2000).

I have stood on the Land and could do nothing
    but cry tears of awe and wonder
    the Land has found its way
    into all that I am
    and it has steeled me
    I will be stronger
    the next time I'm in
    the Land.

I'll follow this with an image.

William Kahn and Ricochetrider like this.