TF4 Fixer.

<p>I wish to try PMK Pryo developer. I can source that in a powder form. Postal services don't like shipping liquids and, as I live in Australia, I am choosing the powder form to reduce Postage.<br>

The recommended fixer is TF-4 which is an alkaline fixer. Does anyone know where I can get that in powder form, or some equivalent powder fix.<br>

Cheers<br>

Greg Nixon</p>

<p>I don't know TF-4. Rapid (ammonia based) fixers usually come in liquid form. I believe that they put enough acetic acid in them to get them acidic, though.</p>

<p>If you can get the formula, fixer isn't so hard to make. Not so easy to do it cheaper than the packaged form, though.</p>

-- glen

<p>Hello everyone. The reason for using a neutral or alkaline fixer is that any form of acid in the fixer will strip off the staining that the "Pyro" developer leaves. Do a forum seach for "Alkaline fixer" and you will see ton's of data for DIY mixing. I use the TF-2 formula (dry chems) when the TF-4 liquid (Photographer Formulary's exclusive liquid formula) is not available. The TF-3 formula will give you rapid fixer. Shoping around the net, you will find the TF-2 mixes up at less then 1/2 the price of any pre-mix on the market, dry or liquid. I have never mixed the TF-3 formula. Bill</p>

<p>I use a fixer with PH 6.5, balanced for my C41. I used to use Kodak rapid fixer with hardener. No issues what so ever. As long as you give the film a good long wash, your stain will appear. From my experiences, problems with acid based fixers are just tall tales.</p>

<p>Greg, read the MSDS sheet that goes with this "ordorless fixer". I do not see anything in that sheet that declares the fixer neutral or alkaline. I used that very product two years ago (twice) and both films had ALL staining striped off (510-Pyro). The chems for TF-2 are "dirt" cheap on Ebay. Bill</p>

<p>"Wash it longer to maximize the stain ? ?" Since when does "washing" have anything to do with stain density? This might be with Harry Potter film work, but not with any Pyro chemistry I have used.<br>

Again, stay away from any fixer that does not state it is "neutral or alkaline". Bill</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>I came across when looking thro eBay.<br>

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aussie-Photographers-Formulary-Powder-TS-4-Stop-Bath-for-B-W-Film-Paper-10L-/262476232150?hash=item3d1ccd75d6:g:pCQAAOSwDuJWuti1<br>

Googleing around for data does say that it is an alkaline fixer.<br>

If the Arista fix doesn't work out I'll give that a try.<br>

peter and Bill, I did read that extending the wash times does allow the stain to further form.</p>