Photographing or Shooting?

<p>I'm tempted to agree with Steve, but I'm not that sure. ;-)</p>

<p>Just guessing here, but given the at least passing similarity between the act of taking a photograph and that of shooting a weapon (i.e., for both, you aim and press a trigger), that's probably where it originated. Maybe it's a guy thing. Add to that the fact that "photographing" has four syllables and "shooting" has only two, well, there ya go...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Before my time.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Indeed it was. In 1856 Thomas Skaife invented a wet plate camera called the Pistolgraph. It looked a bit like a gun. This resemblance proved embarrassing when he was arrested for trying to 'shoot' Queen Victoria with it. Later in 1862 Thomson came up with the Revolver camera pictured here:<br /> <br /> http://www.historiccamera.com/historiccameras/historiccameras4.html<br /> <br /> <em>Snapshots</em> of course go way back as well. Kilburn (Scovill) made the Gun Camera amd have a look at the following pics .<br /> http://www.oobject.com/14-cameras-that-look-just-like-guns/scovill-mfgco-kilburn-gun-camera/2497/<br /> Ensign made loads of<em> Carbine</em> cameras during the 1920's and 30's. Anyone remember the Zenit Photosniper?</p>

<p>I'm going to suggest that 'shooting' came about with 5fps motor drives and 250-frame capacity film backs on 35mm cameras, for those shooting sporting events. I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure nobody hauling an 8x10 into a swamp or a canyon, with 5 double-sided film holders, started talking about his work using the verb 'to shoot'.</p>

<p>The language of the hobby has evolved in many ways, to the extent that a studio photograph that required hours of preparation, or a long exposure at night demanding great patience by the photographer, can be described in critiques as a "great capture!" without any sense of irony or risk of offending either animal rights activists or professional bounty hunters.</p>

<p>Lex +1.<br /><br />All sorts of activities that involve tools, precision, timing, skill, dealing with things in motion, showing results ... they can cross-pollinate when it comes to language and idioms. <br /><br />Have you ever "captured" a moment? Reminds me of using a trap, or a lasso. Have you ever been trying to get an action sequence, and "nailed it?" Has your photo ever been "tack sharp?" How about Leicas with "buttery" winder action, or 85/1.4's with "creamy" bokeh? We reach for analogies or other familiar acts, textures, actions and behaviors whenever we try to explain what something's like, or what it's like to do something.<br /><br />People were hunting for millions of years before cameras came along, and "shooting" things with various projectiles for centuries before hand. Skill and patience and precision in that area was considered laudable in those years when personally carryable small cameras and longer lenses started making appearances. It's not the least surprising that already existing terms describing a very similar set of skills would have been quickly applied.<br /><br />As someone who's busy buffing up my technical and creative skills in drone-based aerial photo/videography, I'm highly entertained watching the industry, hobbyists, and media trip all over themselves trying to settle on commonly used words and phrases for the gear, the people, techniques, and the work involved. It's all about adapting things from other walks of life or similar pursuits, even though we're in some seriously new territory. Drones? Flying robots? Camera copters? UAVs? Aircraft? Multi-rotors? Pilots? Operators? Camera men? Footage? Chasing? Capturing? Seeing? In five years, there will be standard phrases, and in fifty years, their etymology will seem vague or silly or old-fashioned at best.</p>

<p>I only "shoot" when I try to explain to English speaking people and especially Americans what I do when I photograph something. They seem to understand it better like that. Must be something related to gun culture (forbidden subject here on Photonet, so I'm out !)</p>

<p>You aim and pull the trigger (shuttter) just like a rifle. You "capture" your game like "Bring Em Back Alive" Frank Buck although that seems counter intuitive. </p>

<p>Also when pros get going on their assignment with other assistants and subjects let's say for an advertisement, the whole photo process is called a "shoot". So now we've taken a verb and made it a noun.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>So much for "subliminal" in "subliminal gun". Anyway, a camera is a tool and men gave the actions of that tool a name similar to names for actions of other tools, most related back to the tool.</p>

<p>As an aside, I do agree somewhat with this:</p>

<p>“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” Gandhi, that fakir in a nappy per Churchill.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” Gandhi, that fakir in a nappy per Churchill.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>He once replied, when asked by a reporter what he thought of western civilisation: "That would be a good idea".</p>

<p>Pity, we're still waiting.</p>

<p>:-)))</p>

I prefer the word <b>make</b>, and try to use that whenever possible over shoot, photograph, or take. <P>

For

example, I make photographs. Or when out on the street, "Hi, my name is Brad and I would like to make

your portrait."

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Quite simply, ""photographing' is a neutral or a non-deterministic one when it comes to the use of a camera, without indicating the what, why and where. On the other hand, "shooting" conjurs up the existence of a target (objective). It "ain't for nothing" that one of the most popular international photography reviews is called "Chasseur d'images", or (the) image hunter. </p>