Nikon Z7 in cold weather

Edwin Barkdoll

I was out last night for several hours with the temperature around 15F (~ -9C) with a Nikon Z7 and freshly charged batteries and although it kept shooting, I was unable to change the ISO, regardless of the mode the camera was in. I wasn't able to do a lot of experimenting because the wind chill numbed my hands pretty quickly, however, once back in the car full camera functionality returned quickly.

I know the Z7's rated operating environment is down to 0°C/32°F, however, I've been in similar or colder situations with a F3, N90s, D300, D610, D850 and Sony alpha 7Siii and never had a camera malfunction in the cold before. Now it was clipped to my backpack strap, but I've done that before as well. Perhaps I'll have to keep it more protected actually inside the pack.

Has anyone had similar experience with the Z7?

Test

How much charge was left in the battery? That's pretty cold. Hands numbing up that quickly is usually a rough guide to battery life and/or possible camera malfunction. I was out the other day here in south central Ontario with a metal-bodied Fuji X-100T whose juiced-up battery crapped out in about 30 minutes in -12C/-19C wind chill. Suspect limiting prolonged direct exposure to the cold in a bag or tucked into a coat might help. Edited by c_watson|1

I went to Antarctica in February 2019, shortly after Nikon started shipping the Z6. I brought four Nikon bodies with me, three DSLRs and the Z6. I used that Z6 quite a bit during that trip to capture videos. None of my Nikon equipment had any issues with the cold, but keep in mind that was in the "summer" in the Antarctic and the temperature outside was around freezing.

I was out last night for several hours with the temperature around 15F (~ -9C) with a Nikon Z7 and freshly charged batteries and although it kept shooting, I was unable to change the ISO, regardless of the mode the camera was in. I wasn't able to do a lot of experimenting because the wind chill numbed my hands pretty quickly, however, once back in the car full camera functionality returned quickly.

Hmm... If the cold temperature is the only variable that causes malfunction, this is quite disappointing. I had been out there in frigid weather with D800 with no issues. I remember using an F100 at -17F to -20F. When I got back to the car I felt a pain on the top of my nose and and came to find (when looking at the mirror) that it was bleeding with some skin being peeled off by the camera. The camera was "stuck to my nose" most of the time as I shot. The camera looked like there was a layer of chalk for quite a while. But no malfunction.

• Like 3

Yes, as I mentioned in the original post it is below the Z7's "operating environment" but it is also below all the other cameras I listed and I've never had a problem with them in similar environments.

Out of curiosity, tonight I'm going to go out with the Z7, D850 and D610 for a couple of hours. It is supposed to be around 12F/-11C so I'll see which, if any, fails.

• Like 1
Test

How much charge was left in the battery? That's pretty cold. Hands numbing up that quickly is usually a rough guide to battery life and/or possible camera malfunction. I was out the other day here in south central Ontario with a metal-bodied Fuji X-100T whose juiced-up battery crapped out in about 30 minutes in -12C/-19C wind chill. Suspect limiting prolonged direct exposure to the cold in a bag or tucked into a coat might help.

Good question. I didn't check. I'll do that tonight while outside.

Test

Back when giant reptiles roamed the planet, Nikon and others made remote battery packs that cabled to the camera for extended cold weather shooting. If there's a USB charging option--no clue if the Z bodies have it--I wonder if a cheap power bank kept warm would solve the problem?

Well, after 2 hours exposed unprotected at 10-11F (-11 to -12C) the Z7, D850 and D610 all functioned without problems and all 3 batteries still indicated 100% charge. This is more in line with what my experience has been in the past with the exception of the other night. Perhaps it was a battery issue that I didn't pick up on. So I'm encouraged but will have to see how the Z7 behaves in the future in the cold.
  • Like 2
Test

I was out last night for several hours with the temperature around 15F (~ -9C) with a Nikon Z7 and freshly charged batteries and although it kept shooting, I was unable to change the ISO, regardless of the mode the camera was in.

Since the camera kept working save the ISO function, it sound like a problem with the ISO button or operator error rather than a power problem. Some thoughts:

1) Condensation / ice interfered with the proper operation of the ISO button switch or the wheel.

2) Due to the cold, operator malfunction. You were not depressing the ISO button or you were not depressing it far enough. Were you wearing gloves at the time? If you were, gloves can interfere with pressing a small button; if you were not, numb fingers can think they are pressing something when they are not.

3) Since it was night, and presumably dark, how certain are you you were pressing on the ISO button?

If there's a USB charging option--no clue if the Z bodies have it--I wonder if a cheap power bank kept warm would solve the problem?

AFAIK, yes they do. The EnEl15C and USB C can.

Apparently you can power it OR charge the battery but not both.

So yes, a powerbank on an inside pocket and a cable running down your sleeve would work! :cool:

Since the camera kept working save the ISO function, it sound like a problem with the ISO button or operator error rather than a power problem. Some thoughts:

1) Condensation / ice interfered with the proper operation of the ISO button switch or the wheel.

2) Due to the cold, operator malfunction. You were not depressing the ISO button or you were not depressing it far enough. Were you wearing gloves at the time? If you were, gloves can interfere with pressing a small button; if you were not, numb fingers can think they are pressing something when they are not.

3) Since it was night, and presumably dark, how certain are you you were pressing on the ISO button?

Good questions. As I said I didn't do a thorough test of the camera so the only malfunction I noted was ISO. I was not wearing gloves while shooting and the wheel and button FELT as tho' they turned and depressed normally - when I started shooting my fingers could feel everything just fine. And yes I was pushing the ISO button - I thought that as well so I turned on a head lamp to make sure.

Test