Monday in Nature, April 3, 2017

Discussion in 'Nature' started by ShunCheung, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Anna's hummingbird (Calypte anna)

_D5A4552.jpg

2. Ostrich ferns in the wind, Newfoundland DSC_3246_07062009_087 Ferns in wind BW WEB.jpg

3. Bewick Wren found in Austin, Texas. Nature Monday 4-3-2017.jpg

4. Joshua Tree National Park:

DSC_6358a.jpg

sallymack likes this.
  5. _2081599rnc p135.jpg Sun (not Shun!) over the mountain

bing_huey|1 likes this.
  6. Backside of displaying peacock.

PN-rear-5225.jpg

bing_huey|1 and bnelson like this.
  7. Excellent coyote, David. The hoarfrost/snow and the grass really complement the colors of the coyote. Heard a bunch of them yipping the other night. Dogs went nuts. Were you in a blind? Can you give some details about the setup, situation and capture etc?

dcstep likes this.
  8. My dog discovered this raccoon snuggled away in a hole. He wasn't at all perturbed by our presence. I got one shot, then he turned his head and curled up and that was that. :)

i-TkwV9HL-L.jpg

bnelson likes this.
  9. Thanks Edwin. I was in my car-blind. It works amazingly well.

Here's an Album of my coyote shots, almost all taken from my car-blind:

Best Coyotes

10. Spring sighting Spring vision x1000.jpg

bnelson likes this.
  11. Very nice. Thanks Shun for starting the thread, just beautiful.

This Grand Teton image was one of many shot some years ago. Always love this beautiful park!

D200_GrandTeton.jpg

12. Magnolia blossom.
    Nikon_17_14.jpg

Wayne Melia, bing_huey|1 and bnelson like this.
  13. Good morning. I do miss the morning stories and inspiration, though I still enjoy the photos. I will add a Peninsular Rock Gecko (Cnemaspis peninsularis) today. This fellow was hanging out just outside a cave on Bukit Timah, but each time I approached, he would scurry up and behind the rocks. While hiking back down the hill, I thought I'd give it another shot and see if he was still there. I had to use the on-camera flash, and only had time for one picture before he was gone again. From the literature, these lizards are now restricted in Singapore to the central part of the island, in the hills and remaining rainforests.
    Cnemaspis_peninsularis_1483Ws.jpg

sallymack likes this.
  14. Gup

Gup Gup

Imagine needing an 8' stepladder to peer over the top of the downed redwood in the foreground and you will get a sense of the scale of this scene. Now look up at your 8' high ceiling and realize it would be too low to house this log. The largest standing trees were from 7' to 10' across, big enough to fill many rooms wall to wall, and the lowest branches were over 100' in the air (about 10 storeys). The apex in the centre was taller than my 2 1/2 storey home (about 40').

Locals told me this log triggered 6.2 on the Richter scale when it fell and that they all thought they were finally experiencing 'the big one'. Apparently the crash could be heard for 6 miles. It involved three of these trees and the damage still evident since the '90s was the most violent scene I have ever seen. Tons and tons of hundreds of thousands of board feet of stunningly beautiful redwood just wasting away on the forest floor. Splinters reaching dozens of feet into the air as large as the beams supporting modern country homes.

It was about a half hour off the road and a very humbling site that I was directed to by a young woman who lives nearby.

I used a D800E, AF-S 17-35mm, f10, 1/60, ISO 6400.

Redwood crash 1000 6944.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    sallymack, bing_huey|1 and bnelson like this.
  15. Gup

Gup Gup

Thanks for starting the thread, Shun. I was only able to access the site by about noon today EST.

16. Brewer's blackbird
    _DSC6186.jpg
    Euphagus cyanocephalus

sallymack and dcstep like this.
  17. Delete my raccoon post

18. At Antelope Island, only found bison. Way too close for the lens. Bison close up.jpg

ronald_duren, sallymack and patrick_s like this.
  19. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

No problem. If I am available, starting this thread is not a big deal. I go out and take new pictures often enough that I normally don't have problems coming up with new images. I just wish we had the capability to automatically start new threads at a fixed time every week.

I am not sure we can pre-determine who will start the following week's thread ahead of time. If nobody volunteers beforehand, someone, anyone, can be the first every Monday morning.

sallymack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.