MILC pronunciation.

ruslan

Native speakers would say camera

:)

I hadn't thought about it, but yes.

In writing here, we say SLR, DSLR, or MILC.

If I walk down the street and see someone with a camera I haven't seen

before, I might say "I like your camera", but very unlikely

"I like your DSLR", and now unlikely "I like your MILC."

Did anyone ever try to pronounce SLR or DSLR as a word?

-- glen

I'm preferring 'compact system camera' / 'kompakt systemkamera' these days

Wirklich? Es ist klarer, in einer anderen Sprache zu sprechen? I assume Ruslan was referring to native speakers of English. They usually wouldn't say it in German. And in any case, since M stands for mirrorless, not compact, it isn't really descriptive or technically precise.

Ruslan, it's a good question, but as a native speaker, I don't have a good answer. I have never heard anyone pronounce it like "milk", but then again, I have rarely heard people pronounce it at all. Usually they just say "mirrorless." I think I would go with pronouncing the letters, M..I..L..C, at least until people give me a funny look.

A camera would be described by its name and possibly model, such as Sony, Leica or Hasselblad. The term "MILC" would be used to describe a generic class of cameras in print, but probably not in spoken language.

"MILC" is a shortcut for "Mirrorless Interchangable Lens Camera", so MILC Camera would be redundant (but probably acceptible). Most are pronounced as individual letters, but there are exceptions in common use, including "UNICEF" and "ICE". It is also common to devise easy to remember acronyms for telephone numbers, based on the letters associated with numbers on the dial or keypad.

In the context of photography, a "Hybrid" camera refers to a primarily still camera which takes video as well.

In the former case, it would be appropriate for non-English speakers to pronounce letters in their native language, such as German (expressed here in English) "Em Ee El Say"

A good rule of thumb is "If in doubt, spell it out!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmm. I just thought it was micro four thirds or m43..... but maybe that refers strictly to sensor tho, and MILC covers all the bases in this genre?

Well ahem, wait- perhaps not all Ms are I L capable?

Tho C does apply across the board....

I have it: let's cut to the chase, and simplify things. Call it C and be done with it. Then when somebody says "Oh Say Can You C?", we can all say, "why, yes. we can".

;-)