'Likes' lost

Tony Parsons

I'm confused. Although I am in no way seeking public approbation for my work, merely the chance to display it before a discerning audience, it is interesting to see how many 'Likes' I receive, and for which images.

I am now confused. Earlier today, I had 9011 likes. Went for my nap (old age has its benefits !), then went shopping, and when I came back I had (as I still have) 9003 likes.

Surely I can't have upset 8 people while I was not even here ? Is there a solution to this conundrum, or is it related to the notorious Y2K problem, with the system frantically attempting to claw back storage space ? Maybe last night's (frankly boring) lunar eclipse has corrupted something ? Anyone know ?

• Like 1

1) PN is not technologically sound, so many such functions don't function well and aren't reliable.

2) It may be that a member's account was closed who, over these many years, gave you some LIKES. They may have disappeared with the account closing.

3) A single member may suddenly have desired to UNLIKE some of your stuff. Who have you pi**ed off lately? :)

4) If it continues to matter, let me know and I'll hunt down your best 8 contributions to No Words and LIKE them to bring you back up to par. :p

[Now my emojis better not start disappearing or someone's going to pay!]

image.png.6d5d25b919624ba091b4bfb0f72633e3.png

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

Thanks, Sam - as I said, not important, I was just curious (as many people have said !)

As to (3) - I was wondering that myself. Oscar Wilde defined a gentleman as someone who never unknowingly gave offence.

I was wondering too about (2), as well. Probably never know. Just one of life's little mysteries.

• Like 2

No

I've had to start over after changing my password and not being able to access forums after logging in. I'll still try to get that account back, but I have started all over again with a new account.

Noticed the name change, but didn't like to draw attention to it. Hope you can get everything sorted.

Did have another thought concerning my own issue : maybe people came to their senses and realised what a load of rubbish some of my images were !

• Like 1

. . .Earlier today, I had 9011 likes. Went for my nap (old age has its benefits !), then went shopping, and when I came back I had (as I still have) 9003 likes. . . Anyone know ?

I don't know.

My best guess is akin to the point 3 which samstevens made - a member (or members) may have [uNLIKE] eight of your posts.

WW

I've had to start over after changing my password and not being able to access forums after logging in. I'll still try to get that account back, but I have started all over again with a new account.

FYI - recently I had contact from a member who joined in 2004. He told me that he changed the password to his old account, yet he could not gain access to it. The problem was solved, eventually: he had forgotten the (old and currently now not used) email address that he used when he created the original PN Account in 2004. Maybe this is your problem too.

WW

• Like 1

FYI - recently I had contact from a member who joined in 2004. He told me that he changed the password to his old account, yet he could not gain access to it. The problem was solved, eventually: he had forgotten the (old and currently now not used) email address that he used when he created the original PN Account in 2004. Maybe this is your problem too.

WW

Thank you, William. I'll contact someone here to try getting it back.

Thank you, William. I'll contact someone here to try getting it back.

Hello.

Just in case I wasn't clear in my meaning - to get access to your old account you have to be certain that you know the email address you used when you made that old account.

If you do not have the correct email address, then I think there is no hope of getting access to the account, no matter whom you contact here.

Knowing the date or at least the month and year that you joined is very helpful also.

WW

I don't know.

My best guess is akin to the point 3 which samstevens made - a member (or members) may have [uNLIKE] eight of your posts.

WW

Thank you, William - I'm sure you are both right. Just wondered who I had upset ! Not had anyone start a Conversation about it, anyway.

And, Tony, are you stealing my emojis? :eek:

Who, Me ? Perish the thought !

I 'like' images when the subject matter, the technique or the non-linear approach to the thread topic appeal to me. I have never seen this as a 'quid pro quo' arrangement - there are times when, however technically competent the photographer may be, the subject matter leaves me cold. Aeroplanes, cars, weapons, diesel locomotives and most modern architecture fall into this category - and, as I said, I am in no way seeking likes, just attempting to share my images. Should people not like them (in any sense of the word), fine. I was just curious to know where the missing eight went (in Ankh-Morpork, of course, we could blame Rincewind).

Thank you for taking an interest - I'll mention it to my aunt (H2G2).

LOL on H2G2. :)

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting you are one who engages in LIKE quid pro quos. Just mentioning that it does go on. I give out LIKES pretty rarely because, like you, I want them to mean something. I know I take notice when I get a LIKE from someone who doesn't give me one often and tend to ignore LIKES that come from people who dole them out with abandon or who seem to be trading them for LIKES of their own. That's one reason I notice when you give me a like, since you seem to savor them and make them mean something.

Interesting to hear the kinds of photos you like. Almost as important to me as photos is just hearing others' takes on how they view photos. We each have such unique visual experiences both in terms of what and how we shoot and what we like to look at or appreciate. Thanks for sharing that.

I tend to be bit all that subject- or technique-oriented and LIKE things that uniquely capture my eye. It happens that most car shots look alike, so I can relate to your boredom with them, but it's not because I have anything against cars as a subject per se. Occasionally a good car shot gets posted and I have no trouble liking one when I see one. I hate guns, for example, but have liked my share of gun shots not based on the subject but based on the handling of it. On the other hand, even the most sparkling technique won't often substitute for the kind of heart, soul, and individuality that more often catches my eye and captures my imagination. Though good technique can certainly support and add to all that!

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

It could be automated bot accounts that gave the likes. When the system deleted the accounts, the likes went away. Many public websites have mechanisms to detect bot and spam accounts, and it’s a constant battle that goes on, otherwise things will fall apart.
  • Like 1

S’funny but it seems those that dislike ‘likes’ like ‘the sight of their own words*’ very much. Perhaps more than the sight of others’ photos.

* in pre internet times, ‘the sound of their own voice’

Maybe some of us have no-one else to talk to who can understand ?