Kodak bantam camera

<p>Hey Everyone. I came across a Kodak bantam camera with a doublet lense. It says it takes panatomic f-828 film. I doubt i could still get film for it and is it worth anything? Any information will be helpful. Thank you.</p>

<p>You can certainly still get film for it! <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/200779-REG/Kodak__Portra_160NC_828_Professional_Color.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/200779-REG/Kodak__Portra_160NC_828_Professional_Color.html</a> I can't help you with the value, but I would shoot some film and have a good time with it! Good Luck!</p>

<p>The Bantam was my first camera, over 50 years ago. Today I have that one, plus one more I bought on ebay. They are not worth much, mostly because the film, while available, is harder to get and have processed. Plus 8 exposures doesn't go far these days.</p>

<p>That said, there is no reason why you couldn't order a few rolls, shoot them and then get them processed.</p>

<p>There is a more valuable model, the Kodak Bantam Special, which was really a totally different camera. It commands higher prices, due to it's rarity and "art deco" design by Walter Teague in 1936.</p>

<p>I LOVE THIS CAMERA!!! I had an early one, but the bellows fell apart. I bought a Flash Bantam and have had a ton of fun! Eddy, if you google the camera and 828 film you'll get som ideas, but here's what I do.<br>

I have collected a few 828 spools. 828 film is simply 35mm film with one perferation hole what would be the equivalent of every 9 holes on regular 135 (35mm) film. The first few times with my Bantam I covered the plastic porthole in the back with heavy tape to block the light. Using an changing bag, I rewound some regular kodak 35mm color film onto a spool (about 22 photos worth, the spools are smaller than regular 135). I loaded the camera in a changing bag. Shot the film having to press the perf release button 9 times per shot. Then again into the changing bag to transfer the exposed film into the 35mm film cartridge I took it from. THen I took it to Wal-Mart. They may or may not be able to print the full 9-perf wide photo, I have a film scanner, so I scan my own.<br>

After a while I cut down some 120 film backing paper and put numbers on the back to show up in the porthole. Then I can just hold the perf release button in and eyeball the frame numbers in the porthole.<br>

I also can develope my own b/w and have cut down 120 film to avoid the perf holes altogether. Here's alink to some b/w (notice the scratch marks on the Caddy shot.)<br>

You can do it, Eddy! And Photo.net can help, it and the incredible Photo.net community helped me!<br>

Examples: <a href="http://www.pbase.com/bgussin/old_tractorsold_camera">http://www.pbase.com/bgussin/old_tractorsold_camera</a><br>

-Bob</p>

<p>-Bob</p><div>00TWTP-139675584.jpg.586b07d0279ef3a362000b77edae47ce.jpg</div>

<p>Re Panatomic-X</p>

<p>Janne, I tried to see if I could find something at Camerapedia, etc. , but no soap.</p>

<p>This is a guess, but surely "pan" means the film is panchromatic.</p>

<p>I'm guessing that the "atomic" part reflects its extremely fine (small like an atom) grain. There was also prewar fascination with "atomic" power etc in sci-fi of the time. Something that would sound all futuristic? I think Panatomic was first made in the 1930s and made it into the late 80s or so.</p>

<p>Funny thing about Panatomic-X, the first time I even noticed this film was in Junior High, and I asked the science teacher what kind of film is this Panatomic-X I saw in the photo store. At that time, I'd used nothing but Tri-X and Plus-X. He uttered one word: "slow".</p>

<p>The film being sold by B&H is respooled from a 100 foot reel of unperforated 35mm film, made for "school portrait" cameras. It is C-41 film, and can be processed by any minilab that knows what they are doing. (If they know how to use the changing bag for the printer to load the film processor with 120 film, they can load and process 828 film.) Very important to have a good relationship with the person doing it, as you really want to ask for the spool and backing paper back.<br>

All the popular "consumer" films were available in 828 size "in the day". Last films available in 828 were Verichrome Pan, Kodacolor-II, and Kodachrome 25.<br>

Consider that when the Bantam first came out, it was a very small negative compared to 120, 116, and 122, so it's not surprising that Kodak recommended their finest-grain film, Panatomic. The other choices in roll film then were Verichrome (not Verichrome Pan), Super Sensitive Pan, and "regular Kodak film".</p>