Kodachrome -- where to buy and other comments.

<p>

<p>The closest I've ever come to shooting any Kodachrome in the past is listening to Paul Simon, but now the announcement is made, I want to shoot some. I know, 'a day late, and a dollar short,' as the saying goes. But it got me thinking: What are some of the other classic 35mm films that may be on the verge of disappearing? I'm afraid I haven't done my share in supporting the film industry in the last several years, shooting only 20-40 rolls a year, but in the next year or two that will rise dramatically, because of a large handful of upcoming trips.</p>

<p>So from you, not necessarily older, but more experienced people, what are some of the films worth trying, either from a historical or quality perspective? I usually shoot c-41 B&W, but am moving more to color lately (about 1/2 and 1/2 now). I even put my first order for 150 rolls in to B&H and was shocked at how expensive film had gotten since my last big order a couple years ago.</p>

<p>(1) Best place to get some Kodachrome?</p>

<p>(2) Other classic 35mm films to try? The only other classic I've tried is Tri-X.</p>

<p>(3) Why is there such a difference between the cost of processing with professional labs. I'm local to Dale here in S. Florida, and they seem to be twice or even three times as expensive as some other labs in other areas of the U.S. Maybe I'm missing something.</p>

</p>

<p>Ian- 7dayshop looks British, Stephen doesn't.</p>

<p>Stephen- Try the usual places - Adorama, Freestyle, B&H, Calumet, and just submit an order even though it's out of stock. It will go back into stock and you'll be in line for some.</p>

<p>As far as classics, there aren't a lot of classic color films but in B&W, Tri-X and Plus-X (if you order from Freestyle, Arista Premium 100 is rebranded Plus-X and 400 is Tri-X, and they're very inexpensive) and some of the Ilford films come quickly to mind. If you shoot a lot of B&W you can save a lot of money by developing it yourself.</p>

<p>Perhaps if Kodachrome could be developed at home or by a standard mini-mart type lab then it would not be going. E6 is so simple that anyone who can do B&W can do it (the only difficult bit is keeping the temp constant, but a water bath and good thermometer are hardly expensive). Not true with Kodachrome which I believe only one place left on earth can develop. I think this is probably the main reason pro turned to other films like Velvia in the 80's/90's - speed and convenience of developing. I can shoot a roll of E6 and have the prints the same day, so turnaround for magazines etc. It is a great shame it is going, but I think it was inevitable. Still, who knows what the future brings? Maybe it will return or a version of it?</p>

<p>Dwayne's Photo is the only lab in the world that processes Kodachrome - it's been that way for quite awhile now. They are a very good lab, as I send all my E6 slide film to them. </p>

<p>I ordered 3 rolls of Kodachrome the other day and, of course, will be sending it to Dwayne's for processing as well.</p>

<p>As soon as I heard Kodachrome was being discontinued, I ordered three rolls from B&H and got the shipping confirmation yesterday. I've not shot Kodachrome since 1996 and am looking forward to getting some great images this summer.</p>

<p>This is a recurring thread, but here goes: in the UK, it's available from no less than Jessops. In the US, Dwayne's has it, which is where it will go for processing anyway. <br>

People tend to get attached to certain films for reasons of nostalgia, and most of them have direct contemporary counterparts. One film that doesn't, not really, is Kodak technical pan which comes with its own bespoke developing solution. Most NOS will be expired but it's still worth a try for portraiture - you'll probably need high power strobes.<br>

Another format altogether, but try and shoot some Polaroid 55 P/N (5x4 large format) while you can!</p>

<p><em>Why is there such a difference between the cost of processing with professional labs. </em><br>

<br /> Unlike all other slide films, Kodachrome is actually b&w when it's in your camera. The colors are added during the development process. That's why processing is more $$$ than for other slide films all of which use a relatively simple process called E6.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /> <strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>I'll do my darndest to keep the remaining Ektachrome films alive, but I would appreciate it if Kodak did it's share in updating the emulsions.<br>

Ektachrome 64T is a great film. I love how it makes the eveing sky look, and when I use an 85B filter, the results during the day are outstanding. But its an older film and the grain in 35mm is lacking, so I recently dove into medium format.<br>

Same thing with E100VS. Nice colors, but the grain is like the films of 15 or 20 years ago.<br>

Fuji's slide films have all gotten makeovers in the grain reduction department.<br>

The last new slide films Kodak came out with were E100G and GX, back in 2003 I think. Great films, but is that gonna be it for Kodak tranparancies???<br />I hope not.</p>

<p>The recent Kodak ditching of tungsten balanced film was Portra 100T. Weren't enough sales to justify the redesign capital costs when they went to the Vision2 technology.<br>

Kodak's not updating the Ektachrome films because it's obvious to them that they would never recoup the capital investment. Very obvious reading between the lines in the Ektar 100 announcements. The E-6 Q-Labs are dying off unfortunately fast.<br>

If Kodachrome was a fraction of a percent of Kodak's film business, Ektachrome is probably less than 10% of their film business.<br>

While Kodak's revenue may be 70% digital, their profits are mostly in film. There's no place for loss-leaders in the Kodak film division.</p>

<p>I'll not be shedding too many tears for the loss of Kodachrome. I used it for my most important shots in my past film life. This was as a perceived idea that Kodachrome has better archival qualities.<br>

This has proved a big mistake as I have had colour casts in Kodachrome. Fuji slide film lasts as well (over 20 years or more )<br>

Scanning Kodacholme is a problem as Digital ICE in scanners; do not work effectively with the media.</p>

<p>Kodachrome is said to have a shelf life of 125 years vs 25 years for E6 based slide films. It does not, however, hold up as well to projection as the newer E6 based emulsions. Kodachrome is essentially a black and white, silver-based film, which explains why it is so stable in storage. My fathers 1958 Kodachromes are still coloful and rich, but his older E6 slides are faded and dull.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Scanning Kodacholme is a problem as Digital ICE in scanners; do not work effectively with the media.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Like in anything else in photography, the right tools garner the right result. A good CCD scanner with Silverfast Ai software will enable you to easily get a great result. I rarely use ICE on anything but scratched or damaged slides and I use it strictly in conjunction with Silverfast's incredible software. <br /> I am just so sick of hearing all of this chatter about Kodachrome and ICE, just get some canned air, blow off the slide and take care of any dust spots with the clone or healing tool in Photoshop. I find it so simple it's laughable as it is far easier than dealing with an unseen dust blob on my D3 sensor showing up on hundreds of photos from a shoot.</p>

<p>With some of the newer rolls of Kodacrome I've purchased (with 08/2010 expiration date), I'm left asking myself if it would still be best to freez the film considering it has a t-minus 18 month countdown in place for it's use? I'm thinking...no.</p>

<p>Been looking up some copies of National Geographic and read all the Kodachrome credits. amazing colours, a generational hue. I am in my mid 40's and I have suddenly become aware that the discountinuance of Kodachrome is like the family history uncoupling. Perhaps it is a sense of guilt, as I have used Fuji products. Altogether it is about rudimentary demand and supply . I am sure the Digital brigade will have their equivalence.</p>

<p>Kodachrome image stability is rated by Henry Wilhelm at 180 years at 24C, 40% rh for a 20% dye loss in the least stable dye. Recent Ektachrome films are rated at 220 years, much better than earlier Ektachromes at 105 years and far better than E-2, E-3, and E-4 films. Wilhelm is using data published by Kodak but not quoting the same parameters used by Kodak. Considering that these predictions are based on a series of high temperature incubations over a period of weeks, 180 years and 220 years are essentially the same. My point is that TODAY'S Ektachromes have dark stability on par with Kodachrome. Light fading is much less with Ektachrome.</p>

<p>The excellent image stability of Kodachrome comes from the choice of couplers and developing agents in the K-14 process, just as the excellent image stability in recent Ektachrome films comes from the choice of couplers and coupler solvents in the film and the color developing agent in the E-6 process. It is true that Kodachrome is a non-substantive product (without couplers), but let's lay that "Kodachrome is a B&W film" myth to rest. It has red, green, and blue sensitive layers just like other color films. If you look at the structure and the formulas, it has a whole lot more in common with other color films than B&W films. (I'll admit to some sensitivity on this issue since my colleagues used to rib me about having it easy while managing a B&W film.)</p>

<p>For more technical details on Kodachrome, check out this PowerPoint series: <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/randrews4/Kodachrome/KodachromeC.htm">http://homepage.mac.com/randrews4/Kodachrome/KodachromeC.htm</a></p>