Japanese Moments - A Small Travel Series from my M3

<p>Dear All,<br /><br />Summer is now just a faint memory here on the Northern Hemisphere, but at least I finally got around to editing July's CMC "summer moment snaps" from our holidays in Japan - combining Tokyo with a stay at a small beach town called Ito.<br /><br />As usual for longer trips, I brought along my trusty 1955 vintage M3 - even without a meter and being forced to using external finders for my favourite focal lengths, I still keep coming back to it for it's simplicity, small form factor (especially the lenses) and overall nice haptics...<br /><br />Here's the link - 32 pictures in all, and if you stay with me all the way, you'll get to see a smile-provoking picture from a Japanese toilet - I promise :-)<br /><br /><a href="http://www.imagepro.dk/Japan_2012/">http://www.imagepro.dk/Japan_2012/</a><br /><br />Hope that you enjoy it - please feel free to comment !!<br /><br /><br />All the best,<br /><br />Soeren<br /><br /></p><div>00b1Sb-503709584.jpg.d08475a46afdf5bab94b146479fc09ae.jpg</div>

<p>As always, thank you for posting yet another album. I'm glad that you take care to present your photos as you do. It would be tempting to simply dump them on your PN portfolio - but not for you!</p>

<p>There is much I love about 'high' Asian culture. I have a little book of woodcuts and (translated) poetry about the Tokaido. So serene, so beautiful, so Japanese.</p>

<p>I sold my last Leica a couple of months back. Not because I'm giving up film - no, I just don't use rangefinders for serious work, and the money I got can be better used o something else. I'll keep my Olympus mju II and the mju zoom for casual photos, though. I might even buy a few cheap fixed-lens RFs. Oh, I want a darkroom. And I might even buy a half-frame camera like the Pen...</p>

<p>The poem brings peace.<br>

I'm told there are tall buildings.<br>

Haikus are taller.</p>

<p>A wonderful set of photos. Amazing using only 2 rolls! I mostly shoot digital in a P/S.<br>

Shoot hundreds of images a day..Much to be said for less is more.<br>

Use my Leica M3, mainly for special shoots.<br>

Once again, a really personal album.</p>

<p>Wonderful photographs- and good story telling too!<br>

I liked the 'chopsticks' and the 'captain's hat' best, but that's picking favorites from a very nicely seen bunch of pictures.<br>

If I may ask, how did you scan the images / what service did you use?<br>

Good luck / good light!</p>

<p>The dome on the shopping mall looks disturbingly like the dome on a tall building in pre-nuclear-bomb Hiroshima. The very building, with the shattered dome, is now part of a memorial. I wonder if the architects consciously made the reference for some reason. It's impossible to understand the Japanese--yet another example. </p>

Thanks, all !!

Japan really is a country that is often difficult to grasp for westerners - I'm pleased that my pictures appear to have

conveyed some of the experience.

As you might tell, I really do prefer wide angle shots, but on this occasion, I tried to mix the perspective a bit, including the

90/4.0 Rokkor that I almost never use otherwise. The 21 Voigtlaender really is nice - extremely compact and definitely

sharp enough... I had expected to see more film cameras in Tokyo - I actually only saw two Contax'es, one of which was

the 645. But lots of mirrorless digital around.

Handling exposure is not that much of a problem, since I tend to try to "think ahead" and set the Exposure, before things

actually happen. And since my film is very forgiving, it usually works out. I also scan at home on a Nikon IV ED, which

allows me to compensate for exposure errors.

Finally, thanks also for the kind words about the accompanying text - I try to give some context to the images this way,

and they are of course also quite valuable from a long-term family perspective...

Thanks again - further comments are more than welcome :-)

Soeren