Is 26 too late to get into photography?

On the face of it, I know that technically, it's never too late to get into photography. Nevertheless, at age 26, I feel as though I really missed

out an opportunity to get into photography at half my age (or younger). There was a Minolta x-700 in the family growing up, which I used

occasionally (but never really understood). I just wasn't made aware of the depth and breadth of photography, among other things. As I'm old

enough to have used film and film cameras regularly before digital came along, I have a sense of loss there as well.

Still, I'd like to think that I'm still young enough to get into the field on some level. Is there anyone out there who joined up late and did well?

Of course it's not too late. When you say "did well", do you mean as a means of making money or as a source of enjoyment and doing art? There's a bloke down the road from me who's raking in the cash doing weddings and commercial work, and he only took it up at 40 something and been at it for no more than 3 years.

While I started before my teens, I believe I've learned far more in my 40's than any other time in my life. Probably because the older you are, the more you have reason and understanding of technical subjects, and the more experience you have in seeing art and knowing what you want to achieve. That gets you to the point that you're always disappointed with what you've done and can't wait to see if you can get it right with your next shoot. So you're at the age where it just starts to get good<g>.

Check out Younes Bounhar's portfolio, he started around 26 and does some outstanding work. I also started somewhere around 25-26 without having any real knowledge of photography. A lot of books and a LOT of days out shooting and I think I've gotten pretty good at it. Like Josh said, you could become a rocket scientist if you wanted to. Photography is much easier than that.

I am not trying to be offensive in any means. However that said your question really worries me. It has nothing to do with photography or learning photography. It has a lot to do with the way you can think like this when you are only 26 years old. At 26 years old a young man should be full of self confidence and nothing in the world would stop him/her from achieving any and all goals. I suggust you go out and see this whole wide world quickly and enjoy what living is all about.

wheater you are " getting into photoigraphy"

as an amateur or as a way to make money,

it is a broad field.

there are many different aspects.

some just use a fairly automatic camera and concentrate on carfully made images

without getting into technical datails ( as opposed to stabbing the button while pointing a

camera in the right general direction(

to usingn a medium format or large format camera on a tripod and taking one photo every

several minutes as you carefully compose the photo.

Or something in between.

DO spend time with a real film camera as it will teach you more.

you do not necessarily have to go in the dark and get your hands wet.

BUT it is important part.

wheter you are " getting into photography"

as an amateur or as a way to make money,

it is a broad field.

there are many different aspects.

some just use a fairly automatic camera and concentrate on carfully made images

without getting into technical datails ( as opposed to stabbing the button while pointing a

camera in the right general direction(

to usingn a medium format or large format camera on a tripod and taking one photo every

several minutes as you carefully compose the photo.

Or something in between.

DO spend time with a real film camera as it will teach you more.

you do not necessarily have to go in the dark and get your hands wet.

BUT it is important part.

"I am not trying to be offensive in any means. However that said your question really worries me. It has nothing to do

with photography or learning photography. It has a lot to do with the way you can think like this when you are only 26

years old. At 26 years old a young man should be full of self confidence and nothing in the world would stop him/her from

achieving any and all goals. I suggust you go out and see this whole wide world quickly and enjoy what living is all

about."

Hansen, I hear what you're saying, but in some schools these days there is the thought of doing everything faster,

such as taking AP classes and summer sessions in order to save time in college. People are trying to get through

college in three years, to get a masters degree by the time they are 23-24, and PhD by 28-30. This makes it seem like

when you get into your mid 20's that time has passed you by. But we know that 26 is still really young and a person that age

can do anything they want.

Nobody really knows what they want to be when they grow up, until they grow up. Figuring it out when we are teenagers, is just not fair, that is why so many of us have jobs we dont like. start off for fun, learning is always easier when it is fun. Anyhow, what do I know? I have only been into photography since this year, I am 28. Check out books from the library, and read lots of internet articles, I have learned alot doing these things. Hey, its a start.