How would you start WW3 in Photo.net?

So far I have seen plenty of heated discussions around here, but I have seen that there are at least THREE

questions that will simply call the four horsemen of Apocalypse, the biblical plagues, and break havoc, pain,

missery and mud slinging in these forums:

1 What is better? Film or Digital?

2 What is better? Canon or Nikon?

3 Ken Rockwell gives pretty good advise? Or doesn´t he?

For me the most interesting is reading the kind of posts this questions may provoque. Feel free to add your own

"californian wildfire igniter" questions or topics!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Film and digital are two different mediums with different purposes. People who argue digital is better are generally amateurs who have shelled out big bucks for a DSLR and are trying to justify this in their mind by saying they saved so much money on the 1000 shots of their feet in the parking lot. People who argue film is better are old timers or crazed coots like me who don't really need to see the picture a nanosecond after they took it because they believe it distracts them from their current work. All in all we're just taking pictures and nobody really gives a communist enchilada about how you make them, unless it looks really cool and you want to try it for yourself.

I don't care what Ken Rockwell prefers, though I do value his opinions (and even facts, god forbid) on many subjects. No matter what he says I will never have enough money for a D3 and I will probably own my lone D50 and kit lens for the rest of my life.

Not being a hardline __________ brand loyalist, question conventional thinking, refusing to go with the flow at all times, trying to make the most out of limited budget, complain about the lack of choices and high prices as far as equipments goes are all suicidal moves. In the real world, wars get started when at least one side take action against another (if not both or all sides in a multi-sided conflict). It's hard to start a war on photo.net during which the proported "enemy" can be "annihilated", but it's extremely easy to "self destruct", it's even easier to let that happen accidentally.

I don't think it's the topic that matters. It's the concept of gratuitous conflict that starts thread wars.

Some folks are drawn to the Satanic "Versus" ... and its cohorts, "vs." and "vs". They prowl the Unified Forum

view, sniffing for blood. If you watch those threads carefully there are always a few familiar names that recur,

like cats smelling their own crap, dogs sniffing each other's butts.

The problem is the false conflict created by careless use of words that convey antipathy when a simple "or" would

suffice.

The Satanic Versus draws a lot of trolls, gremlins and goblins. Suits me, tho'. Keeps 'em busy and minimizes

damage to the intelligent discussions elsewhere.

Nah, you've got to mix all the elements together to start WWIII:

Hi all, I'm a high school student, and I want to go professional. I'm currently shooting pics with my cell phone, which I think does a great job, but some people say it makes me look like an amateur. They also say film is the only way to go. So I'm thinking about buying a bigger digital camera. I hear that Nikon is the best and that they have one that shoots both digital and film. That would be great, because I would have to use film for the professional jobs. Does this camera allow me to blow up the individual pixels when I'm shooting film?

I understand if I get the Nikon that I should only buy a zoom lens with it, because Nikon makes the best zooms and Canon the best primes. However, I hear the very best of all lenses are the Sigmas. Is that true? Or was that Tokameron?

What sort of darkroom equipment do I need to get for my new camera?

I'm confused about the protective filters. Can I use an analog protective filter on a digital lens? How many filters can I screw onto the front, and do I have to take any off when I attach wide-angle and telephoto adapters on the front?

Oh, and is it true that Pentax is for amateurs?

Someone told me I should get a tripod, but I don't think I need one, because I'm perfectly capable of holding up the camera. (Geez, it's not THAT heavy, is it?)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I plan to specialize in shooting pictures of clouds. What camera and lens are best for that?

Dazed and confused

<i>Post a strongly negative personal attack on a moderator and then complain when it is removed.</i><P>

That won't result in a war. An assassination, maybe, but not a war.<P>

If you really want to start a war, go through the top-rated photos and give honest ratings and critiques.