How much did you spend on film in 2008?

<p>Probably $500, plus another $150 in processing fees. I process B&W myself, but not the rest unless there's a lot of it at once. But I am an amateur, not a pro. My school supplies the B&W developing chemicals for a $10/quarter lab fee (included in my estimate above). <br /> I also spent $40 on a new memory card for my digital camera, but I haven't used it yet.</p>

<p>I meant to say that prior to 2008 I spent a fairly consistent $4000 pa on film and processing, so that you could say that my 3 lens Canon 5D system paid for itself whilst still under warranty, all at current exchange rates. Of course if you count the extra time I had to spend in front of a computer, you might take a different view.</p>

<p><em>"Next to nothing. I used some of my substantial stocks, but the clear majority of my photography last year was with a Dslr."</em><br>

OK, But how much did you spend on image editing software, Optical discs, External hard drives, inks and paper, system upgrades, etc. Digital users often pretend their photography is free beyond the cost of the initial equipment outlay. But that is simply untrue and posting such a comment really contributes nothing<em>.</em></p>

<p><em><strong>"But that is simply untrue and posting such a comment really contributes nothing</strong>."</em></p>

<p>Just answered the question. Didn't realise that it would be read by people so touchy and sensitive. You are reading far too much into my answer. I have a background in business, both running them and advising others on running them. Believe me I am not pretending anything about the costs I incur or the time it takes. Fact is I needed all the computer stuff I have now when I shot all film, not least because all my colour prints were made from scans. The only incremental capital cost I can ascribe to digital is two drives at about £100. The real extra cost for me has been in time as I tried to say. This isn't a debate I'm very interested to develop further.</p>

<p>Oh man, probably along the lines of $5,000+. I stocked up on Kodachrome, found some 2424 Aerographic respooled to 120mm, that was a grand right there...about 100 rolls of Kodak HIE, another grand. I won't be spending nearly as much on film it self for the next two years, I have 800 rolls of Kodachrome to shoot and soup. The processing alone is going to be over 7K for the Kodachrome. </p>

<p>Spent $0 on film in 2008. Used film from storage in 26 cu ft deep freeze and 21 cu fit side by side in garage. Shot mainly 8x10 and 4x5 during the year, some 120 and very little 35mm. Will spend a few bucks very soon at Freestyle for bulk rolls of Arista Premium and Legacy Pro films.</p>

<p>About $420. I got a brick of Tri-X for Christmas too which I didn't count. $150 of it was for 14 rolls HIE someone found at their local store about 3 months ago (nice). </p>

<p>As far as shooting, I haven't counted it up yet for precise numbers, but I shot a bit over 100 rolls this year. </p>

<p>I technically <strong>spent </strong> a lot on film - maybe $500. But that was because I was hoarding for awhile after some Fujichrome prices went up; I got a bunch from eBay. I'm set for a good long time with what's in my fridge & freezer.</p>

<p>I actually only shot about 40 rolls, though. That's pretty normal for me. I only had 2 or 3 of what I'd call "serious outings" with digital in 2008.</p>