How about that Acratech GP Ball Head

Larry_G1664882113

<p>I usually don't comment on equipment, but am pretty impressed with my new Acratech GP ball head. It's unusual looking, but works like a charm. Not cheap at $400, but worth the expense if one is seeking a solid ball head that weighs in a just under one pound, reverses to allow taking perfectly level panoramas and has a gimbal head feature that adds flexibility to composing vertical shots. Anyone else have this ball head? What do you think of it? I am able to use my old camera mounting plates as they are Arca-Swiss compatible. Check it out at www.acratech.net Thought this might be helpful. Larry</p>

<p>Acratech ball heads are an acquired taste. If you like them, you can't get enough. I'm more of a beer than wine person, and happy with conventional ball heads. I have an Arca B1 (ancient), an RRS BH-55 and BH-40. Mousetraps are only better if they catch more mice. Acratech's claims to have a better mousetrap don't make any sense to me.</p>

<p>Can't say much about Arcatech, but there is like 6-8 really good brands out there. I went with Arca Z1 recently and it's the offshoot of the old B1....and it will take 130lbs, so that's even good for large format cameras. I have a feeling that it will take me 30yrs to wear out....and it will do superb panoramas as well. Hmmm, it's light but v. stout too.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>When I looked at the Acratech design, I noted the clamping mechanism is positive and capable of locking tightly. The head is light weight and perfect for my carbon travel tripod. </p>

<p>Would I buy another Acratech? Yes, but I would get the lever clamp because I have accidentally loosened the clamp knob (not good) while fussing with the head in the dark. </p>

<p>They look to be good and I have an Acratech levelling base, but I don't think they are as revolutionary as they seem to think they are. There are other brands that are as good and about the same price RRS, Arca-Swiss, Kirk etc. etc. But they look just fine.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>Yeah, I have one on a cf tripod and love it. Maybe it's just me, but most bits of kit have something wrong with them and induce grumps and bad language - but this Acratech on a Gitzo is a wonderful exception. And it's light for what it does.</p>

• 1 month later...