Developer in Fixer

<p>Hi all, I think I got this resolved in my head, but I would like to ask the gurus here. I processed a roll of film today and after the developing part I went and used the stop bath, but since I am using Patterson tank, I dont put the lid on when I use the stop bath. Well, I poured in the fixer and closed the lid, but after few inversions I had realized that I didn't rinse the lid from the developer and now I have few drops of developer in my fixer. I usually religiously rinse the lid between stages. Now, I think that my fixer is still OK since the issue is when you get the fixer in the developer, but what if few drops of developer solution get into fixer?</p>

<p>The fixer is formulated to tolerate some contamination resulting from developer carried into the fixer. The typical developer is an alkaline solution. We advise that the step after development should be a quick dip in a stop bath. The stop bath is a mild acid. This step neutralized the alkalinity of the developer stopping development in its tracks. The chief ingredient in the stop bath is acetic acid (vinegar). Now the next step is the fixer, it also contains acetic acid. Omitting the stop bath substituting a water rinse is a common practice. Some even pop the film into the fixer directly after the developer. The hitch is, the life of the fixer will be shortened. That being said, the fixer is a very robust chemical with lots of reserve power. A few drops of developer accidently transferred to the fixer will do little harm. You can test the fixer by cutting off a piece of undeveloped film and swishing it in some fixer. The film enters the fixer opaque and the action of the fixer clears it rendering the film transparent. Time this action. A safe fix time will be double the time to clear.</p>

<p>Shouldn't be a problem. In fact at one time combined developer/fixer solutions were made (called monobaths) which contained enough developer to bring out the image before the fixer removed the remaining silver halides. I remember Unibath was one such maker but I don't think they're still around.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I wouldn't sweat it much, you are never going to be able to prevent a small amount of carryover from one solution to the other unless you do a water wash in between steps. Some people skip the stop bath step altogether although I do not recommend it as it can cause spots on the film.</p>