Cost of a Darkroom Setup - 1940

<p>I'm an archaeologist, and we just can't help looking at things in terms of the past. We even have a naive justification that we learn from the past, a conviction not strongly supported by our objective evidence.</p>

<p>Anyhow, I just got a 'new' copy of the <em>Popular Photography</em> issue of October, 1940. I thought it might be interesting for other historically-inclined people to see where we were and what it was like back then. The issue was "Special Darkroom Issue" and the article was called "Budget Darkrooms from $10.00 to $1,000.00".</p>

<p>For some kind of context on the prices, according to (<a href="http://kclibrary.lonestar.edu/decade40.html">link</a>), in 1940, the <em>average</em> salary was $1,299, the minimum wage was $0.40 an hour, and 8 million people out of a total of 132 million in the USA were out of work.<br /><br />Here are the darkrooms and their equipment and cost.</p>

<p> </p><div>00b6ad-507363684.jpg.cea1c7a5359bb83767bb92aaa7e5519a.jpg</div>

<p>Maybe not too bad. A contact printer box kit (same issue of <em>Popular Photography</em>) was $3.50 and new prices for enlargers in the ads in that issue were from around $12 and up. There was a substantial market then in used equipment, and I would guess that some of the cheaper ones could have been picked up used for around $10.</p>

<p>Here are a couple of ads - the first one has an Argus (used?) enlarger at $12.50. </p><div>00b6rN-507501684.jpg.f32b69da9115223d4071c1b0af443f05.jpg</div>

<p>Using the OP's privilege of going off topic......<br>

In the pictures above, the guys are wearing a tie in the darkroom. On Saturday, watching the live audience on "Live at the Met Hi Definition" in my local theater, maybe no more than half the men had ties and a jacket on even. Times they is a changing!</p>

• 1 month later...