Bokeh

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its just me, but shooting Nikon I think that I get the best bokeh from the older manual AI type lenses, such as the 105 f 2.5, 55 micro nikkor, and so forth. Although, my 18-70 kit lens that came on my D70 has pretty nice bokeh! I'm sure each of us has favorites.
  • Like 3

Maybe its just me, but shooting Nikon I think that I get the best bokeh from the older manual AI type lenses, such as the 105 f 2.5, 55 micro nikkor, and so forth. Although, my 18-70 kit lens that came on my D70 has pretty nice bokeh! I'm sure each of us has favorites.

SJ, I'm reasonably sure I used my Canon 60d with a Canon 70 - 300mm, f4.5 - 5.6 zoom. Finances prevented me from buying a lens with the same focal lengths but much faster.

Also, given the OP, I'd appreciate it if you can post a sample image produced with any of the gear you mentioned.

michael

Old Sigma 92/2.8 on D300, was OK.

39892044843_90aa40607e_b.jpg

4421788041_60fb27ce5b_o.jpg

Nikon 80-200/2.8 also did good job.

34874106423_e636f083d4_b.jpg

2/3 of the images on the link you provided don't demonstrate good bokeh, sorry .

There is reason why people paying big premium for lens like Canon 50/1.2 or 135/2.

Edited by Nick D.
  • Like 5

Just don't inadvertently bokeh someone's child!

(FWIW, I find that conventional standard to telephoto designs from most makers tend to produce the most pleasing bokeh to my eye, and I'm basing this on my experience with Canon FD mount, Nikon F mount, Leica and Canon in LTM mount, Nikon in Bronica mount, Bronica in a couple of formats, Pentax 645, Zeiss in Hasselblad mount, and a wide variety of makers in LF. Aspherical elements, particularly in zoom lenses, can contribute to busy bokeh).

Definition of bokeh

: the blurred quality or effect seen in the out-of-focus portion of a photograph taken with a narrow depth of fieldGood bokeh is smooth and pleasing, whereas bad bokeh produces a jagged and discordant effect. … The quality of bokeh is largely dependent on the construction of the lens. For this reason, lenses that provide high-quality bokeh are prized.— Harold Davis

LOL, do you have anything to backup your statement?

to clarify, I mean bokeh, not dof (for framing or whatever). There are no polls on the out-of-focus area quality of the succicron vs bokelux because no one (whose hobby isn't buying lenses) cares. The bokeh of any conventional lens is just fine, mate, super duper, everyone agrees.

I'm supplying one of my shots which hopefully is on point.

Your photo exceeds point. The link you provide shows somewhat typical and not all that interesting uses of dof and bokeh. Your photo, on the other hand, stands out and has an edge. The photos in the link are fairly predictable, tried and true uses of blur, pretty standard fare. Your photo gives substance to the background and brings it into conversation with the subject to the point where the whole of your photo becomes the subject rather than the more typical approach of separating the subject from a background which is often bokehed into mere fluff rather than something of visual interest in its own right.

• Like 1
There’s always something new under the sun.