Are we all old?

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by tony_lockerbie, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Not wanting to be offensive, but I was wondering about the age of regular classic camera users. Ralf's shot of his daughter prompted this. I was hoping that there may be a lot of young 'uns out there that are taking up the baton.
    Oh, I'm 61 this year.

2. I'm 35, started to use classic camera's at age 25. So not that old.

3. SCL

SCL

69 & my younger family members wouldn't touch film cameras even if you were handing out Leicas with Sumicrons on them for free. Sad commentary.

4. I'll take it, Stephen!

5. I'm not.

6. In years, yes. At heart, not yet. Coupla years ago my doctor gave me a stern lecture to that effect.

7. Anyone who attends camera fairs knows that the age profile of classic camera enthusiasts is to say the least, mature (the same applies to camera clubs). And I guess many photo.net Classic Manual Cameras contributors are of a certain age. However I think in the wider population there is a great deal of interest in old cameras and lenses - remembering that for younger people, virtually anything pre-digital is an "old camera".
    There's certainly a cult for using old lenses on digital cameras, and the Lomography movement still has a great deal of momentum amongst students etc. You only have to look at auction site prices of certain items to understand this, also there are loads of people on Flickr and similar sites posting pictures from classic cameras.
    By the way I'm 64.

8. i AM 77 and NOT real confident with a camera that is too too auto,
    maybe when I am gone there will be no younger generation
    Now with Bluegrass music the young people are well represented.
    the computer group we attended is all gray heads with younger people only in the gamers section.

9. Two dozen of my 36 years on this planet were spent handling some sort of film camera or another. I still get that feeling of a twelve-year-old when I hit the streets with brasss, glass, and chrome (even if it's just a classic lens on a new-fangled DSLR).
    Without the magic of a darkroom, I'm afraid it'll be hard to entice my kids to shoot film these days. They see old cameras as something that clutters up the living room or angers the wife when a new shipment arrives in the mail.

10. Most of us are well into our vintage years, Tony; I've been unkindly described by my children as being "sixty-six-going-on-fourteen"... However, I see many signs of a resurgence of interest in film, particularly in the 50-60 age group, and in the younger Lomographers. An evening spent on the Internet following the links from forum to forum can easily persuade one that there's a wide range of people of all ages very enthusiastic about old cameras and film.

11. My age is seventy five, and I still love film. I do have an "old Nikon D40 dslr", that gets very little use these days.
    Yes, it has its place, but like many of you "youngsters, I grew up with film.
    My very first camera was a Kodak Brownie Hawk eye that I still have. I also have a Kodak box camera that belonged to or late father. I used it a very long time ago, and was surprised by the pictures it took.
    I hope film will be around as long as I am alive.
    It seems strange to call my D40 an old camera compared to many of the cameras still being used by members of this forum that are 50 to 80 years old.
    By the way, a very Happy New Year to all of you on the Classic Manual Camera Forum, my favorite forum on Photo net. And thank you for the help you have given to me while a member of Photo net

12. I am 75 and I feel 25, especially when I repair a Praktica or Exakta. Anyone who appreciates and repairs Dresden and Soviet cameras cannot be young, except in the mind. Cheers sp.

13. I am 61 and still use film (bw and color and slide) since 1971,and i love my canon cameras and lens.

14. Good question. The last photos I took a week ago were taken with a Kodak Duo 620 which was made in my birth year (± a year or two-- I haven't checked out the serial number) of 1938. It's still going strong and I'm tagging along pretty well.

15. I am 50. I use film because I can. I use digital because I can. Neither is superior. If film dies out, well, that's the way the cookie crumbles. As a general rule every generation believes the current generation is much, much worse than their own. Previously, all them other generations turned out to be not that bad after all. I think we're living in the first age where that won't happen, and film use or non-use is largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. You can't teach kids to value something as slow as film when everything they hear see and do is instant gratification. That's why so many young people today have trouble entering the workforce.
    "What, I have to work forty HOURS before I see my paycheck?"

16. 52. And most of the gear I own and use was constructed during my lifetime, although some is cutting it close, such as the auto-compensating version of the Micro Nikkor 55 mm f/3.5. I think my first Photokina was around 1980, it's fun now to look at the old catalogues I collected then and get some of those items from eBay to play with...
    Christoph

17. 52. And most of the gear I own and use was constructed during my lifetime, although some is cutting it close, such as the auto-compensating version of the Micro Nikkor 55 mm f/3.5. I think my first Photokina was around 1980, it's fun now to look at the old catalogues I collected then and get some of those items from eBay to play with...
    Christoph

18. Thanks for the replies, and great to see some younger users out there. I don't want to turn it into a film versus digital debate, just seeing who is actually using classic cameras....and as a consequence, film.
    I often get comments on my old gear, mostly positive, from young people, but they would not consider actually using them...far too committed to their i phones. I actually love the way that my kids are always sharing their photos by facebook etc. but they don't ever print them out.
    Probably is a generational thing, just what you grew up with. I know that I collect a lot of gear that I used to really covet as a youngster but could never afford.

19. I am still 37 for another two months and a bit. I have been into classic cameras and photography itself since 2006.

20. Glad to see some younger film shooters out there so that when I get really old there will still be someone but me shooting film and maybe still someplace to develop it. I'm 65, which means I came of age at the beginning of the Nikon F era.

21. 54 so far. I started up my old camera obsession with a box camera during the '70s. I thought it would be fun to have/use a box camera while everyone else were using modern cameras. I believe that may be how the younger classic film camera users are thinking today.
    I was out today using up a roll in a Kodak Brownie Fiesta and an Imperial Satellite camera. I can't explain it but it was fun. I liked the loud clack the shutters made especially in the Kodak. It was nostalgic looking for the numbers in the little red windows. I've shot the same photos using my point and shoot digital but it wasn't fun. It seemed more like a job that had to be done. Shooting roll film, it brought back a feeling of childhood days so, maybe, that has something to do with it.

22. 55 and mostly use film. Digital is for those times you need to post a quick photo of your classic film gear.

23. 68 for a few months more. I won't quit film as long as I can get some. I still enjoy my Nikkormat FT3 and Minolta srt101.

24. 68 for a few months more. I won't quit film as long as I can get some. I still enjoy my Nikkormat FT3 and Minolta srt101.

25. I'm 68. I know no one through direct personal contact who uses film and prints in a traditional darkroom like I do.
    Fortunately I know lots of people electronically who do so.

26. 61 and a half.
    Last weekend I saw a kid of about 18 using an argus c3. He was cheating though. He had a hand-held meter and wasn't using the color coded shutter speeds.

27. I'm 56 but my doctor says I have the physique and health of a 40 year old. See...humping around the outdoors with big heavy classic cameras is good for you!
    I appreciate a beautifully made camera, wristwatch and guitar. I love both sunny and rainy days. I enjoy both my CMC's and Digicams but what I really love is making pictures. Life is so good, I sometimes feel like the luckiest man alive.

28. I'm 22 and I shoot more film than digital. I greatly prefer my Nikon MF equipment to my DSLR. A friend of mine is 18 and he shoots a good bit of film too.

29. I pondered this question a few weeks ago. I personally don't see the replacement rate sufficient to keep the movement alive. Even digital cameras are being challenged by cell phone cameras so nobody is safe. May be we can look back to other technologies for lessons. What happened to the audiophiles and their reel to reel decks?
    http://www.photo.net/casual-conversations-forum/00bD3o

30. I am 44. Only use Hasselblad 500cm and Nikon f3. Have my own darkroom, which is my sanctuary. My sons ex girlfriend is at university and had to make a box camera and do the prints in a darkroom. So there is still hope:)

31. Early 40s or there abouts with a 3-year old and 1-year old. I have to stay in this age range for the next 15 years or so.

32. Well, 38.5 here, and I can still scale a fully mature Mediterranean Persimmon tree almost as well as I did as a child.
    80% film shooter, use indiscriminately anything, SLR-s, rangefinders, box cameras, instant, 110, 16mm, 35mm, medium and large format. I must say, I am partial to Minoltas (mainly SRT-102, XE-7) and my Topcons.
    Always, hunting for film deals, which are becoming rarer and rarer these days. (Another contributor, Fotokemika of Croatia, the maker of Efke just exited the film production scene this past August, I am hoping Foma is not next...). Long live film and its supporters/users.

33. I am 31. It all started with Cmena 8M some years ago and ended up with 15 classic cameras.

34. LXXXV but my Retina IIa would crumble if I put anything in it other than Kodachrome 25 so I make do with a couple of digitals and a 2 MP cellphone which is my newest toy.

35. 33.92 (birthday in a month) but feeling significantly older after drinking too much last night.

36. 55, a beginning beginner, still trying to learn from all you guys out here..................

37. I'm 28 (not the youngest here), and shoot at least 85% film, plus photo paper, dry plate, and any other assortment of things. I only own a couple of cameras made during my lifetime (one of which is my digital camera, made in 1993). Of course, I also have decided to write my thesis with a 1980s computer, make my next cell phone rotary dial, inherit and appreciate my father's vast vinyl collection, and otherwise seem to exist in the wrong century.
    ((Please note: I am not a hipster. I do none of this ironically, and do not drink PBR. Despite my art degree.))

38. I am 60 and have been using a Canon 5D MK2 for the past couple of years because of a concern of being left behind. However, I recently made a trip to Sedona, Arizona and only used my Hasselblad because I missed the process required when shooting the Hasselblad. I only took about 40 pictures and most of them were keepers. I enjoyed projecting the images. I felt like I went home. So this year I'll be using the Hasselblad more along with my Olympus OM4 and full complement of lenses.

39. I'm 39, and seriously into photography (film and digital) for
    seven years, and into shooting analog movies (16mm and
    Super 8) since 1996.

When I walk the streets of Toronto, or go to an event like
    Kite Fest, I see lots of film cameras. Mostly they are being
    used by guys and girls aged 20 to 45. Anyone older than
    that seems to have gone completely digital. I've chatted
    with a few of these folks 50+ and their attitude is "good
    riddance" to film and its foibles and costs. They are
    enjoying the freedom of digital and don't understand why
    anyone would be wasting their time with old cameras and
    film.

40. I'm 62, I use both film and digital, and I cannot say what I might have done had I been young. I'll add that I know younger people who use film cameras. My impression is that some or many do it to be "different", or because they believe that film is somehow "pure" unlike digital. I have also seen, in some young people, an obsession with B&W which they explain in a way that tells me that they have no idea about the evolution of photography or about the evolution of pictorial representation generally.

41. I'm 70, but I think my general attitudes and outlook are still pretty youthful. I'm curious, flexible, and tolerant of the differences among people. I have always heard others say we become more conservative as we age, but this hasn't happened to me. I'm still a flaming liberal when it comes to social issues and politics.

Since growing up in the 1950s and 1960s I have always loved 35mm rangefinders and single-lens reflexes, and especially the classic metal-bodied ones with manual focus. I don't care much for plastic blobs and auto-focus. My preferred color film has always been Kodachrome and I lament its passing. As an anthropologist I have taken thousands of slides of native, peasant, and urban peoples in Latin America and I continue to be awed by the wonderful longevity and archival qualities of Kodachrome.

Today, I shoot more digital images than film, but these are mostly casual photos and family snapshots. But I continue to work with my film archives which mean much more to me professionally.

42. I'm 60, shoot digital 80% film 20%. Still ride a motorcycle, and hike the Appalachians. After immersing myself in Digital for a number of years, I'm rediscovering film. I also find quite a few younger photogs adding film camera's to their image making tool box.

43. Thanks to everyone for interesting and positive replies. I still shoot 95 per cent film (B&W) but would have a Leica M9 if I could afford it. If I did buy a digi, the Fuji X Pro looks interesting. I do have a Topcon Super D in front of me and this camera gives me a buzz, even without film in it!

44. I'm 58. These sit on my computer printer. To me they aren't "old" cameras, as they are to everyone else.
    00bEWA-513691584.jpg

45. I'm 29. I got my first camera at either 6 or 7 depending on what parent you ask - a Nikon FG-20. Technically it was my mother's, but apparently I was a grabby little kid.
    I do a lot of shooting digitally for convenience reasons (especially walking around at night), but I do most of my serious work with a Hasselblad 500c/m, and a Linhof Teckika III. I shoot FP4+ almost exclusively with both, and develop it in my bathtub at home :)
    I don't know if I'd call those 'classic' cameras, so much as the stereotypical 'cameras I could never afford before digital came around.' But I like 'em. I'll probably ditch the Hasselblad when digital SLRs get a little better (I figure that's around 2 years from now), and I don't see myself ever getting out of large format. Although I'll probably upgrade, as that Linhof is really starting to show its age, and restoring it would cost about as much as buying a used Sinar or somesuch.

46. Mr. Lockerbie:
    I was 93 last year. When a person is under seven or eight and over about eighty-five folks seem to add a half year when appropriate.
    “Hey, I’m not four, I’m four and a half!”
    So I’m not quite 93 ½ .
    A. T. Burke

47. Thank you all for making me feel young. Well, younger than 87.5% of the people who responded. Young enough that true 'Classic Manual Cameras' were mostly made before I was born (that last statement might not be true).

48. The birth certificate says I'm fifty, but I refuse to grow up. Although I got away from it for a bit, I can proudly say that this weekend I actually took exposures with my Moskva 2, my Yashica A, and my FT2. The film in the Moskva is now finished so I can get that one done. The Yashica is close to finished, and the FT2 film just got started. I use a Canon ultrazoom digicam that gives me some pretty good versatility, but there is still something missing with it. One thing that comes to mind is that I got a shot of my father's dog Snoopy yesterday with the FT2 that I wouldn't have gotten with the digicam. Can you say, "shutter lag?" Silly dog won't hold still if his life depended on it. I hope it turns out. The light was dim.
    The other day at work, my friend Shirley told me that I'm just a kid. I asked her why do I feel like I'm 73?

49. I am 73 years old. Note that I did not say 73 years young, I know better. My work has been shown in major galleries and is in several museums. I do mainly black and white work and have moved to digital. In the past I have shot mainly with Nikon f3's and Hasselblad 500CM's.
    My move to digital was prompted by the incredible developments in technology in cameras and computers, papers and ink. My work is now better than it was with both silver and platinum and I doubt I will go back to the old days. I may, however try my hand at silk screen printing. Another problem with wet darkroom work is the availability of the great papers and films of days past. I truly believe there will never be a replacement for Portriga Rapid with a slight Selenium tone. Time moves on and changes occur. The new epson Signature worthy papers are wonderful as are the Ultrachrome K3 inks.
    I am thinking about selling my Hassy 500CM with two lenses and two backs and a nice set of filters. Anyone interested?
    -Cheers

50. PS.
    I will be buried with my f3 and 105mm 2.5 so don't ask.
    -Cheers

51. Old photographers never die, they just fade away.

52. Not all. I'm 18, and only have one "classic manual camera" (my grandfather's Contax IIa), but I spent all Xmas break printing pictures I took with my Nikon F3 and RB67, so that sort of counts. I shoot digital too because it's convenient, and better in some situations. I also made myself a wooden pinhole camera for paper negatives. I printed some 8x10s the other day for the first time (I'd only done 5x7s previously) and can't wait to set up my bathroom darkroom again.
    I guess that'll bring down the average age a bit :)

53. Go for it Alexander.
    -Cheers

54. Am I old? Not in my mind and not at my heart. But I was in grade school when Patti Page was at the top of the Chart.
    I still shoot film. Just finished a roll in my Konica Auto S2 shooting streets in -10 degree C temperature yesterday and started on a new roll of 120 TMAX in my 500C/M for table top shots last night. I still have a wet darkroom with 3 enlargers.
    I also do digital. Today, I played all day with my Nikon D7000 doing macro shots and focus-stacking with Helicon Focus.
    So much to do, so little time!
    Raymond

55. I'm 62 and enjoying life more than I ever have before. I was a boy running around my grandfathers studio where he took portraits with his 8x10 Kodak...yes, it was made by Kodak...the only one sold by Rochester overseas. He used a 4x5 for offsite assignments where he need portability. I think he had a Linhof. He was experimenting with medium format at the time of his death in the mid 60s.
    In my own photography, the biggest format was 35mm film until very recently. I now use digital if the circumstances suit. Film will always be part of my tool kit. I am about to purchase a decent scanner so my workflow will now be hybrid. That's the best for me.
    I hope to bring some worthy examples of my images to my account here in the future.

56. 55 here. As far as I know I'm somewhere between one-half and two-thirds through my journey. I'm still half my age in mind, twice my age in my joints.
    I've been using film since I was 8 years old. Ten years ago I was 100% film. Now I'm 75% digital, 25% film, and still 100% photographer. It's still mostly about the images to me. But I love the process as well.
    But I still have a fondness for the same types of cameras that inexplicably match my personal quirks. If a camera is too sensible, we probably won't get along.

57. A mere forty eight.

58. Turned 36 last weekend. Started using classic film cameras back in 2005, went mad since then and now own about 80 cameras from 1915 to 1980.

59. To Mr. Burke..gosh 93 and a half, you have seen some changes, very impressive! I hope to get that old but my doctor says that I wont. Really chuffed to see so many younger people here, keeping the flag flying.

60. To Allen Klein:
    Sometimes we just smell that way.
    Tony, this is the liveliest thread I can remember. Thanks... damned rheumatism.

61. I'm 67 and the wife and I still have our own business where we go to work 5 days a week. The idea of retirement doesn't really appeal to us. One day, I'm sure, we'll sell out or close the doors but it doesn't feel right to do it yet.
    We do picture framing, as well we sell art supplies and we have a small gallery. The wife displays her paintings and I display some photographs and the odd antique camera. We get to see some very nice art pass through our doors.
    I'm not opposed to new technology, we frame the results of it almost every day, but personally I prefer to use film.
    My baby:
    [​IMG]

62. If I did the math correct, our average age is 52.

63. I'm glad you asked, as I've been curious about this myself. At 43, I'm very glad to see that there are many people here who are younger than me. I'm optimistic about the future of film and classic cameras.

64. 'I'm tipping the old scale in the middle.I'm 55. But I was a classic camera guy almost from my own beginning. In 1981 I wanted to be a good photographer. By 1986. BEsides my 1976 YAsh FX2, I had a Yashica D, a Baby Speed Graphic,and a Yashica 5000e. I knew then I wanted to shoot classic cameras, The fun hasn't stopped. I do have a little digital P&S. I would like a better digital, but whenever the funds have been there they go for old gear!! Thinking Foveon DP1 almost cheap enough for us bottom feeders.

65. I come in somewhere at the younger end of the scale at 35. I originally got into classics by buying inexpensive MF Nikkors to use on my digital Nikon. After sampling the feel of the old brass and glass, I had to get some age appropriate bodies to go along with them. For me, classic cameras are a bit like classic cars. I wouldn't want to drive one everyday, but it's nice to take them out for a spin every now and then.

66. 45, still use a Minolta Himatic 7s from time to time.

67. The last super 8 movie cameras were made in the 80's. This as video became the new "home movie" format. There are still super 8 films made & and sold thirty years later. So if we have at least another 30 years for 35mm and 120 film, I will be happy. After that, you kids are on your own.

68. I'm 63. I have and enjoy a Canon G10 for shooting from the hip, but my true love is for film, even though I don't make enough time to get out and shoot. Retirement is looming, though, so I have high hopes. I just returned to Minnesota from a short jaunt to Florida, where I took more photos with my Olympus 35SP and Plus X than I did with the G10.

69. Tony I am 73 and like you it is a pleasure to buy the cameras I always wanted but never had the money for. SO I have in the house about 20 cameras 3 Olympus digital s 2 E300's and and E1 that's a pleasure to use. I have also picked up on eBay 4 Nikon D1 D1H and D1X cameras and a converted D1 IR then there is the Fuji S2 pro all of my others are film cameras a couple of Nikon EM's 2 Nikon FE's plus and assortment of others including a Yashica Mat and 2 Kiev 60's

70. I am 60 and using both film and digital cameras. Started photography in 1975 with a Rollei sl35, a few Zeiss lenses and a small Rollei 35s. I still have the Rollei 35s but sold in 1979 the sl35 to buy an Olympus OM2 and OM1. I still have those as well. I now have a collection of about 57 film cameras a few (folders) dating all the way back to 1904. All of these cameras (except for two) use 120 or 35mm film. I still use many of these collectible cameras (ex. Exakta's, Praktisix ll, Pentacon six, Kiev 60, Zorki's, Zeiss Ikon's etc). I spend about 20% of my photography time shooting film and the rest is digital. I hope that film will continue for a long time.

71. I'm 18 and have 25 years experience at it. According to my wife I'm 12 at a good day, 6 at my worst ;-)
    Just kidding I'm 43 and started photographing at 13 or 14 with a Zenit E that I got from an uncle, after that a f301, F65, D70, Kiev 6C, F4, F100, an old yashica, a canonet, F801s, a canon T50, D80 and an F80.
    and more glass than a dairy factory has milkbottles.

72. I'm not old. I'm 51. I'm middle aged.
    My 1938 Rollie is old.
    My early 1980's Nikon gear is new.
    My Mamiya 7ii is positively newborn!

73. Age 53, mental age 18, body feels 75.
    Cameras from 1932 to 2006, most frequently used rollei 3.5 e3 from 1962 and technika 111 from 1956.
    Most recent purchase Koni-Omega Rapid M, may need an assistant to carry it. I'm just so thrilled I lived long enough that all those unaffordable cameras from my youth that I lusted after have become so cheap because of digital.

74. Yes, it appears that this "transitional" period is a boon to us all at classic camera central!

75. I'm 32 and prefer shooting film over using my digital camera. I came into film around 1990 or 1991 when I found my parent's super 8 camera and bought some "then" inexpensive kodachrome movie film. I was hooked after that. It's must more expensive to use film; you really have to think about your pictures in advance. But, it's more comforting I think to slow down and do things that you love to do. We live in a "right-now" society and it's nice to know that there are others out there that enjoy the simpler things in life like film.
    [​IMG]

76. I'm 69 and agree with Ray Hathaway. I could finally afford a Mamiya C330 with three sets of lenses, hoods, Paramender, prism finder -- all the accessories. I'm so used to film digital is a challenge for me.

77. I am 53 and got my first good camera, a Nikon F at 15 and a yashica may 124 at 16. Since then I have used an wide
    assortment of film cameras all of which I still have. Sadly, in the last 10 years since going digital my film cameras have
    gone idle. The darkroom is still there, all that is missing is the chemicals. Recently I showed my very inquisitive soon to be
    five year old grandson a negative and how to place it in the enlarger. He was fascinated with this "new" technology so
    don't give up hope for film photography just yet. As soon as I can get some chemistry he will be at work in the darkroom.

78. At 41, in the light of the previous responses, I'm among the "youngsters" of the classic manual camera users. At 10, I was using a Fed 5 camera for family pictures, bought by my parents from Ukraina, with ORWO film from East Germany. It took me 28 years to find out that the FED had a focusing help called a rangefinder. I enjoy taking pictures but have to confess that it is the mechanics and engineering of the old cameras that I find most interesting. Most memorable pictures took in the last few years came from a Ricohmatic 225, medium format camera.

79. 28 years to figure out what a rangefinder was. Cosmin, we're in the same class. I bought my Kodak Signet 35 around 1976 when I was fourteen years old. It was close to 2000 before I found out the same thing. Cheers to being slow learners.
    ;-)

80. Great to know I'm not alone Rob. In my defense, I must say that I could not read that well the user manual, in Russian...

81. A belated response to a fascinating thread. I am 67 years old and enjoy Kodak Retina and Agfa rangefinders. The SLR's are resting for the time being. I stumbled into photography in the early 1970's when I discovered that the exposure could be manipulated on a Kodak Instamatic by using a dead flash cube. That led to a Pentax KX purchased in Tokyo and a long love affair with things Pentax.
    And yes I do also enjoy a Canon G7 digital.