• 1 reply
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 1 reply

• Recent Gallery Images

• Recent Forum Wide Posts

• Obviously we're the ugly step child within the owner's stable. Hard to believe there isn't some great Chinese software add-on for 200 bucks that would filter this crap. 
    • It takes a bald eagle chick about 4 to 5 years to mature. In North America, they typically hatch around March to April and grow up very fast in terms of size. It takes about 10 to 12 weeks to reach adult size (I am only talking about size; it takes much longer to reach maturity.) and start flying, but they are initially very dark and takes those 4 to 5 years to reach maturity, and their plumage changes over those years. There is a page to help identify the age of a juvenile: https://avianreport.com/age-and-identify-a-juvenile-and-sub-adult-bald-eagle/ The eagle in Dieter's image is probably from the 2022 season and is now 2 years old.
    • Sure is. One's arm usually starts hurting the instant before some action happens. Or one is distracted for an instant (especially when not alone). And the scenario you describe is the one where I wish I had a tripod. Just to wish for not having one a second later when the bird took off and I miss the shots because of it. I dream of a clamp that would release smoothly and instantly when I want it to so I could stand/sit there with my lens mounted to a tripod and the instant I'd be better off without one, I'd have the clamp release without me having to pull a lever or turn a screw. I use an Acratech leveling base - makes things a lot smoother. The in-viewfinder horizon of many cameras also helps a lot in leveling things out. Made the mistake of not purchasing a tripod with bowl adapter - and not willing to spend money on getting something that I don't use all that often.   Earlier this week I was at a local fish ladder to see if I could photograph some osprey or bald eagle fishing. Tripod would be great as waiting times are long - but there's other photographers and space is limited. Also, the number of positions to shoot from is limited and the birds could dive to your left or right. No one were I was standing used a tripod as everyone doing so would be in somebody else's way. What I would have needed there was two cameras to use with two different lenses. I missed an osprey diving five feet from me  because 500mm focal length was definitely too long: with a good portion of luck involved, this is all I've got: