Curious people asking questions about equipment

hans_beckert

Hans, society seems to have changed for the worse. There is a lot of intimidation and aggressive body language out in the streets. It's one thing for them to ask a simple question and get a simple answer, but for them to linger after that is intrusion into your mental space. Every society has a different perimeter of "private space" within which one should not encroach. In some cases violence results. I hope that never happens to you. Best wishes.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I am actualy complaining about two different sorts of people:

1. Scrofulous vagabonds who approach you with some sad tale of woe and ask for money. For obvious reasons, these people can be considered possible threats, for they may be desperate.

2. The curious, well-meaning sorts of folk who think that their curiosity is somehow grounds for interrupting or distracting me when I have perhaps only a small window of time to get what I want.

To the former group I have nothing but warnings to stay away. When I am alone on the street with my cameras, I tolerate none.

For the latter, I smile and nod politely, then keep walking, or ignore them. If I am not pressed for time, I sometimes will stop and chat. But it is my choice, not their right.

Main Entry:scrofula

Pronunciation:*skr*fy*l*also -r*f-

Function:noun

Inflected Form:-s

Etymology:Medieval Latin, from Late Latin scrofulae (plural) swellings of the lymph glands of the neck, literally, little sows, plural of scrofula, dim of Latin scrofa breeding sow

: tuberculosis of lymph glands especially in the neck

http://www.emedicine.com/ent/topic524.htm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001354.htm

http://health.allrefer.com/health/scrofula-info.html

Douglas K. , feb 18, 2004; 05:21 p.m.

"Did you know that in Montreal, the vagabonds are so cultured, that one � lying in the gutter � addressed me in French?"

<i>I hope that's an attempt at humor.</i><p>

I found it quite amusing, this bum lying in the gutter, screaming incoherently in French...of course I do not speak French, but still I assumne he was incoherent....covered in grime...reeking of spirits..

I really do not think folk choose to be a Begger, as a Career option. Usually they have mental illness problems, or addictions.

I don't want to be wealthy, guess what, i want to be a Begger. Lots more fun.

There are many Beggars who have been Professional people, and rich like you Hans. They have fallen by the wayside. Now that can happen to anyone...life is tough. A helping hand to those less fortunate...good Samaritan stuff.

Perhaps you will find there's more satisfaction in giving then taking. Just a thought.

Jeez, Hans, you are right. Those beggers will take all your gear, even strip you naked! We won't go into the other things they might do. Just sort of got that picture in my mind of you running naked through the streets.

Terrible thought; you might run into Vic's community. They would probably think you were some sort of weirdo, or even worse a begger! They beat those sort to death.

Yes, you are right Hans.

Allen, begging is not an honorable thing to do. Read any religious scriptures, and nowhere is there a mention of taking up begging. These people are too lazy to get up and work for a living.

The mentally ill are an exception and belong somewhere else. In New York City they emptied the mental homes during Ed Koch's reign, and these people were living in the subways for years. I remember standing on a cold platform with dozens of other morning commuters, while one of these ill people calmly defecated on the platform and then got up and wiped his arse with the New York Post (the best use for this paper). The amazing thing is that everyone else pretended that nothing was going on and buried themselves in their morning paper. (I digress, but this sort of crowd behavior Hans "560" Beckert wants to see.)

Allen, why is it that a lot of street photography on this site is of homeless people? That's lame.