Curious people asking questions about equipment

hans_beckert

David Mark , feb 17, 2004; 03:50 p.m.

Hans,

<i>You are getting teased mercilessly here, and you have been an incredibly good sport about it.</i> <p>

I expect as much here.<p>

<i>I don't think the problem you are having has a ready solution: big lenses will always draw the curious. One of the major attractions of the M cameras and lenses is that they are much less conspicuous than SLR cameras and lenses. Of course if you need a 560 mm . . . .</i><p>

Yes, I do need it...

<p>

<i>By the way, in another post you ask whether Palle Christensen records for ECM. I think you may have merged two musicians into one: Palle Danielsson and Jon Christensen record for ECM. I can readily imagine you listening to austere nordic jazz while laboring in the darkroom.</i><p>

Well, Leica and ECM REcords are both German, right? Is Terje Rypdal here?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Hugo on this one. This is the funniest thread I've read in quite some time. In fact, hat tip to the Leica forum as a whole (I don't own one) which I visit frequently. Lots of posts, pictures and personality. Wish more of the forums here were so good. BTW, nice cleaveage Hans ;-)

Hans Beckert , feb 17, 2004; 03:04 p.m. But every five minutes? Enough is enough already! When, for instance, I go to zoos when there are crowds, it becomes annoying in the extreme.

I bet those monkeys in the zoo are getting very annoyed by your curiosity. You should stay away from those monkeys.

"Seriously, get a couple of traffic cones and place them around yourself. Wear a hard hat and an orange safety vest. It works for surveyors."

I guess a red wig (head and chest) plus strange moaning sounds will do the same trick and might even be helpful with monkeys, especially with orang-utans.

wentong lin , feb 17, 2004; 04:54 p.m.

Hans Beckert , feb 17, 2004; 03:04 p.m. But every five minutes? Enough is enough already! When, for instance, I go to zoos when there are crowds, it becomes annoying in the extreme.

<i>I bet those monkeys in the zoo are getting very annoyed by your curiosity. You should stay away from those monkeys.</i><p>

Well, Jay's relatives like to be photographed....

RM L. , feb 17, 2004; 05:11 p.m.

<i>Hans, I'm truly curious to why you attract so much attention. In the past few months I've seen several photogs here in Amsterdam with gear that most (though perhaps not here on PN) would consider out of the ordinary: one photog with a tripod mounted 6x9 with one of those dark cloths (the one you stick your head under to view the ground glass), one photog with a tripod mounted 600mm Canon L-lens, and another photog with a bag full of gear AND a tripod mounted 4x5 camera. I'm a curious lad so I stayed to look and talk to them. All of them were rather keen to show me their gear, let me look at the ground glass, or tell me about their work. But none of them attracted any curious crowd. Actually, all of them said they enjoyed the fact that someone showed an interest, almost as if they craved the attention.</i><p>

I, too, used to be flattered and friendly about it, but enough is enough. Can you imagine walking from one place to another, perhaps at the Toronto Zoo, and being the constant cause of comment, finger-pointing, stares, and questions? Now, I want to say: 'Shoo!, Shoo!......'

<<Hans Beckert , feb 17, 2004; 05:13 p.m.

wentong lin , feb 17, 2004; 04:54 p.m. Hans Beckert , feb 17, 2004; 03:04 p.m. But every five minutes? Enough is enough already! When, for instance, I go to zoos when there are crowds, it becomes annoying in the extreme. I bet those monkeys in the zoo are getting very annoyed by your curiosity. You should stay away from those monkeys.

Well, Jay's relatives like to be photographed....>>

How old are you Hans, ten?

Hans wrote:

"Can you imagine walking from one place to another, perhaps at the Toronto Zoo, and being the constant cause of comment, finger-pointing, stares, and questions? "

Hans, are you really, really funny looking? Post a picture of yourself and maybe we can figure out what exactly is your problem.

(BTW, the potato goes in the front of your pants)

Henry A , feb 17, 2004; 06:11 p.m.

"Hans wrote: "Can you imagine walking from one place to another, perhaps at the Toronto Zoo, and being the constant cause of comment, finger-pointing, stares, and questions? " Hans, are you really, really funny looking? Post a picture of yourself and maybe we can figure out what exactly is your problem. (BTW, the potato goes in the front of your pants)"

It is the lens, dammit, the lens! Either that or my five-foot long fingernails....By the way....has anyone seen my spruce goose?

>Hans Beckert , feb 17, 2004; 05:27 p.m.

Jay:

>You dish it out, eh.....but you cannot take it......

Of course Hans, everyone knows Jay is PN's biggest pu$$y. He likes to talk about 'breaking legs' and other tough guy stuff--but, you know, people that are constantly fearful are often the most aggressive. Hell, I do martial arts three times a week, two hours a night. I'd love to introduce 'BadAss Jay' to the mat... over and over and over. (Then again, that would mean I would have to see him in exercise gear--short, fat, balding, and angry about it--I think I'll pass!)

Want to really get his goat? Bust his chops about his superiority complex. Just more fear, really. Scared as hell about posting any images as he might be brought down to earth as a mere mortal, instead of an Olympian ego on high. Won't start any posts either--what could a god not know?

Just watch out for him on the many days when his wife has badgered him and his kids have ignored him... he is mean as a rabid chihuahua.

Back when I could walk reasonable well ( before Rheumatoid arthritis ), I loved to walkabout with my Old English Sheepdogs (see much maligned photo snowdogs.jpg), aka chick magnets. People used to break into a run, especially young attractive babes, to come over to hug the dogs. I and the dogs loved the attention, and would answer all the questions I could. My Leica screwmounts and I don't get that kind of attention but I would be happy to discuss their attributes with strangers, if I was reasonable sure that they weren't trying to steal it. Why not try to engage the people who might be your subjects?