Curious people asking questions about equipment

hans_beckert

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hans,

actually, no one asked yet about my equipment. When I quit my "low profile" way of working, e.g. by using tripod, many times people get curious and try to figure out what I'm photographing, turn their heads, or even stop. When two folks are standing watching, mostly another 2-3 join.

I admit that I don not really like this, and start to feel silly with a groing desire to leave the scene.. but of course that's just me, these folks are just curious and having a good time at my expense ;-)

Strangely enough, almost never someone actually starts a conversaton.

Hans,<p>

If they weren't curious, except for the beggar, they would give a rat's a** about what you were doing, to whom, and with a weapon of mass destruction no less!<br>

As was stated by others, I've had quite a number of excellent conversations with folks who were curious as to what I was doing when photographing with my Leicas.<br>

I also had the opportunity to take some pics of some very interesting folk, NQA.<p>

Brian,very funny! LOL<br>

<i>The "Langley Bunch" talk non-stop about the car and the attackers die of boredom.</i><br>

Hans,

I found your post surprising, coming from a man whose photographic heros are, among others, Salgado, Eugene Smith, and David Douglas Duncan. The work of all three men is marked by a strong sense of sympathy and compassion.

It's all right for us cranky landscape shooters to shoo away the curious, but if your ambition is to make great pictures in the photojournalist style, you may find that you need to open your heart a little and engage with the people around you.

To address your question: my experience has been that when working with a camera on a tripod (the view camera in particular) strangers will always approach and ask questions. I have never minded, and, in fact, am happy to answer questions or let them look at the ground glass if they wish.

Americans are curious and informal people. You will always be approached, unless you acquire a fierce attack dog, or something of that nature.

David

Hans---I've had that happen to me. It's no big deal. Go with the flow.<P>

However, if it is driving you crazy (which apparently it is) go with Ray's

suggestion. Tell the people you're working on ART. People usually have no

idea what that actually means, plus they have no idea what to ask in the way

of a question. They should just nod like they <I> do</> know what you're

talking about and walk away. With luck they might actually be sorry they even

asked. They will not have a clue as to what you're doing. <P> BTW, <I>what</

I> are you shooting?

hans -- you rejected the idea that leica may be curious "about that german guy who bought the 560." i snapped this photo during a lunchbrak at solms. is this your beggar??

DBM -- very illuminating biographical information. the idea of hans replicatng salgado's approach but with a 560 says all we need to know i think.

David Mark , feb 17, 2004; 01:52 p.m.

<i>Hans,

I found your post surprising, coming from a man whose photographic heros are, among others, Salgado, Eugene Smith, and David Douglas Duncan. The work of all three men is marked by a strong sense of sympathy and compassion.

It's all right for us cranky landscape shooters to shoo away the curious, but if your ambition is to make great pictures in the photojournalist style, you may find that you need to open your heart a little and engage with the people around you.

To address your question: my experience has been that when working with a camera on a tripod (the view camera in particular) strangers will always approach and ask questions. I have never minded, and, in fact, am happy to answer questions or let them look at the ground glass if they wish.

Americans are curious and informal people. You will always be approached, unless you acquire a fierce attack dog, or something of that nature.

David</i>

<p>

<b> But every five minutes? </b> Enough is enough already! When, for instance, I go to zoos when there are crowds, it becomes annoying in the extreme. I cannot go about my business whithout a constant stream of gawkers, finger-pointers, and crowds of the curious.<p>

Of course, when I am out photographing people, I seldom use this lens, and seldom do people comment.

Talking equipment - annoying? Listen to this:

I once walked up to the counter in my (then) local (pro) lab, put my gear on the counter to drop of some film, when the girl (!) behind the counter asked "Is this a Leica ???"

But as usually I blew it, stuttered and hence didn't get laid. Probably because the camera was just a Zorki, not a real Leica, which I'm sure would have done the trick.

Hans,

You are getting teased mercilessly here, and you have been an incredibly good sport about it.

I don't think the problem you are having has a ready solution: big lenses will always draw the curious. One of the major attractions of the M cameras and lenses is that they are much less conspicuous than SLR cameras and lenses. Of course if you need a 560 mm . . . .

By the way, in another post you ask whether Palle Christensen records for ECM. I think you may have merged two musicians into one: Palle Danielsson and Jon Christensen record for ECM. I can readily imagine you listening to austere nordic jazz while laboring in the darkroom.

David