Decisive Moment

<i>Maybe the Decisive Moment refers to a mystical ability to take only the one right picture and not take all the bad ones that would be edited out later.</i><p>

You might have something there. HCB was (is) renowned, I believe, for taking very few shots. Wait for it - put camera to eye - snap it - walk away. One moment, one shot. Simple, huh? Likewise Helmut Newton didn't burn a lot of film in his exquisite portrait work - much of which was candid, and a moment, and decisive - even if not strictly speaking a decisive moment. But I don't think there is necessarily any requirement to take just one shot or many.<p>

I think the journalistic moments that S. Liu (my fellow cyborg :)refers to above are something altogether different from what HCB was doing. The decisive moment as I understand it isn't a newsworthy event, but documentation of synchronisity, pure and simple (though I recognize that the two can . . . coincide).

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to think Andrew's right about the Einsenstadt contact

sheet. There is no sense of the photographer exploring the

relationship between elements until finally finding that one

relationship that clicked. But it makes me think of something I

read about HCB, and how much film he took to find a "decisive

moment". Maybe he didn't take as much a Winnogrand, but from

HCB's interviews/writings it sounds like there wer many

undecisive moments.

Andrew, we could probably have an incredibly un-intelligent

argument about french translations, since I at least don't speak

french. But I still think the term Decisive Moment is somewhat

misleading. The french root of the crucial word can mean a

variety of things; on the run, saved by, salvaged by etc. I think the

last two are interesting in the context of what we know about

HCB; images saved from oblivion seems a fitting description of

what decisive moments are. I think the most interesting bit in the

quote you posted is "you have instinctively fixed a geometric

pattern without which the photograph would have been both

formless and lifeless" because I think it highlights the

importance of non-human elements that may have been in the

frame even if it was taken 5 minutes later let alone 1/10th of a

second later. Hmm now I wonder what the french for geometric

is?

Matt, I think that you're right in recognizing that the geometric relationships between elements, or at least their positioning in the frame, is an important part of the idea.

Re translation, the title of the book doesn't literally translate to "decisive moment" (or anything close), but the quote I posted refers to releasing the shutter at a decisive moment, whatever the original French was. So I think we can credit the concept to HCB although I'd have to concede that the term "decisive moment" properly belongs to his translator.

I don't agree with Andrew on Eisenstaedt's contact sheet. If you give that sheet to some one in a remote village in China who had never heard of Churchill and ask him which frame is the best, he would say frame 25. It captured a decisive moment of an old man. Churchill IS the visual element in the picture. You don't need more. The news/historical/political value of that picture is secondary.

On the contrary, the RFK contact sheet is more photojournalistic. The content is more valuable than the visual elements.

S. Liu, that shot of Churchill is not in any way a decisive moment; it's a picture of Winston Churchill adpoting a pose for which he was already famous, making the photographer's job easy. If you consider that Churchill probably held that pose for several seconds, it's not even an example of particularly good shutter timing.

Every good picture doesn't have to record a "decisive moment." It's just a term HCB came up with to describe a certain kind of picture.

Of course, you're free to interpret the idea of the decisive moment any way you see fit. I just think that if you don't consider what HCB was actually getting at, which is illustrated in the Sam Abell shot I linked to, you're shortchanging yourself as a photographer.

Andrew,

First of all I am not a photographer (indoor or outdoor) but someone deeply interested in photography.

It is unfair for me only to show you that louse image of the contact sheet and ask you to judge whether the frame 25 is a decisive moment or not. You are not a trained photo editor either. Seeing the "V" sign, you jump into the conclusion quickly without reading the image (you don't have the image to view yet, so it is not all your fault.) If you have chance to READ the image carefully, you can feel that it is one of the most decisive moments of an old man's life. You can almost see tear in his eyes. To explain that, you might need a Ph.D. in British history ;-)

Now, as a fellow photo.netter, I want to say with good intention that if you are not satisfied with the "mediocrity" that you are proud of in your homepage, please learn to think visually, not verbally and be open minded to other people's work. Photography is more than HC-B and NG.<div>007keV-17134084.jpg.9b42f7664e97149958044d73a359b966.jpg</div>

S., you are redefining 'decisive' in this thread to mean just about anything, including what

someone ignorant about photography would choose as a decisive moment, given that they

don't understand the term or its context.

(1): <p>

<b> http://www.photo-seminars.com/Fame/bresson.htm </b> <p>

<i> The decisive moment, as Cartier-Bresson tersely defined it, is <b>�the simultaneous

recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event as well as the precise

organization of forms which gives that event its proper expression."</b> </i><p>

(2) <p>

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~potts/Photo.Manipulation/hcb.html

<i> Every good picture doesn't have to record a "decisive moment." It's just a term HCB

came up with to describe a certain kind of picture. </i><p>

Not only that, but that certain type of picture, along with legion of imitators, led to a revolt

against the style by photographers like William Klein and Robert Frank. <p>

It's doubtful that there always only a single decisive momement for any situation, although

there are certain recognized moments of human kineticism that are more powerful than

others (e.g. a point of a boxing punch, or a golf/basball bat swing, a jump), and, of course

certain moments where something happens quickly that is either captured or not.

<i>The "so what" factor can be easily tagged to any image today. It's really an easy thing to say. It's like saying "I don't like it"... to which I reply "so what?"</i>

<p>

I agree with you 100%, about applying it to any image at least! Even though my photos are also full of the "so what" factor, this doesn't mean that I don't like them - I am actually my biggest fan!! :-) In addition, the photos above, which IMO share in the "so what" factor, needn't be photos which I don't like: some are, some aren't.

<p>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I think of it is this: when a photo has the "so what" factor, it doesn't mean that it doesn't show a decisive moment; rather, it means that the relationship(s) between the parts of the photo have little or no general interest perhaps. For example, the very first photo (by Bob Lazzarini) shows a person crossing the road against the 'red hand' - this does actually represent one of a number of possible "decisive moments" (the man could be anywhere on the road while crossing when the photo was taken, and it still could be called a decisive moment in this context). But it also has the "so what" factor in generous amounts. Bob probably likes the photo because he is the photographer (this is not meant to insult you Bob; I have a similar relationship with my photos). This means that he has a connection with it: he was <i>there</i>. For most of the rest of us, it is just a photo of a man crossing the street! I actually think it's a good photo: exposure & focus seem to be spot on... but it holds no interest for me because there's no connection.

<p>

The photos that don't have the "so what" factor are the ones that have mass appeal without the need for a personal connection to be made to the viewer (or perhaps it is because they can create the <i>illusion</i> of a connection with people when there isn't one - I'm not really sure. If I <i>knew</i> how to take/create photos with little or no "so what" factor, I would be doing it right now... :-)

<p>

If I'm way off the mark, please tell me...

"It's doubtful that there always only a single decisive momement for any situation...."

In my view, it's obvious that there isn't. There might be one best shot, but that doesn't mean there has to be only one moment when all the elements come together. I wonder to what extent the notion that there is only one belongs to HCB, or to people interpreting what he meant?

Every time I take a roll of film out of my camera it has, depending on the film length, 12,24,or 36 decisive moments recorded on it. Whether any of them will please me (or a client)I don't know yet, but

I do know I had a reason for taking each one of them. Decisive moment is a poor term anyway- subjective,and open to as much definition as vocabulary allows. Generally it seems to be a measure of the "OOH!AHH!" factor in street/documentary photography. Where does that leave landscapes? still lifes?abstracts?-Photographers look for decisive moments all the time.

Looking over this thread one more time, probably the most "decisive" photo here is the one of the 2 boxers - nice one John! Even your other two shots, of the 2 guys 'discussing' a point, are not decisive as even here there is clearly such a large period of time over which the action unfolds that no one moment could uniquely capture the event... (appologies in advance to Grant for being way off again, and thanks to Mike for letting me a genius at the same time...) :-)

<i> Where does that leave landscapes? still lifes?abstracts? </i><p>

Seeing as this is the Street Photo forum, and the concept of the decisive photograph

context was forumated, exposited and practiced by Cartier-Bresson (and a passel of

admirers/followers) for street photography, it's not wrong to discuss the topic in the

context of the understood meaning. That leaves landscapes and still lifes and non-street

abstracts out, at least in this discussion, I think.

nice picture Manu! Is that Lucy & spouse in the background?

<br><br>

John Lo Pinto, to fill in some details: the Laocoon was made circa 25 BC on the island of Rhodes, unearthed (in Rome?) in 1506 after which it had a lasting effect on the art world.