Your Other Camera

travis1

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Forget it, Ray. Neither Jeff nor Brad nor Grant gives a rat's a*s for the opinion of anyone outside of their clique. They finish each other's jokes, speak in shorthand, and drop in occasionally to mock these proceedings. They are a self-licking ice cream cone.

The irony that the only forum on this site that allows such free-form discussion and such liberal picture posting privilges happens to be the Leica forum seems to continually escape their notice. Likely, as you pointed out, because it doesn't suit their arguments.

<I>The irony that the only forum on this site that allows such

free-form discussion and such liberal picture posting privilges

happens to be the Leica forum seems to continually escape

their notice.</I><P>

Kevin why are you so rude to me? Your tiny rant aside, can you

further elaborate on your quote above? I'm having a difficult time

understanding it. Am I violating some privileges with respect to

picture posting? What is the irony you refer to?<P>

In general, you should try and lose the anger. One more time,

why are you so rude to me?

www.citysnaps.net

travis- I am not sure what it is about photo.netters, but they sure love a good contraversy, even when there isn't one. Sucks that your post got thrown to the "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" BS.

It's high and mighty, I guess people feel like they are a "real" photographer by saying it.

Sorry, Brad. I unfairly lumped you in with Grant and Jeff. Now that I think about it, it's usually Grant who's been interjecting the "ZZzzzz's" and other assorted juvenile comments into otherwise amiable discussions. But I should know better than to get involved with this sort of stuff by now, so again, my apology.

My Olympus XA. It's the one camera that hasn't gotten traded for

something else in the past 16 years (Canon T-90, Nikon F-5,

Nikon N90s, Canon EOS-3). Or my trusty Nikon D100 just back

from three weeks at the Nikon farm in Melville or my newly

aquired Nikon F-4S. The more mechanical the better. The less

LCDs, menues, etc., to deal with, the better. But for me, batteries

are not a problem. Sorry, just had to say that. As a side note, my

5-year-old granddaughter and I went on a short photo safari with

her 2-year-old sister the other day, all three of us with cameras.

She kept asking to see the picture on the back of my M-6ttl (I

usually have the D100 or my Oly 5050 with me). I told her that

was the fun of photography, the waiting game and practicing so

you aren't disappointed.<div>0067uw-14679484.JPG.6034d9424ee094d1233356be811506d1.JPG</div>

i think the difference between what most of you are talking about and what grant is talking about when the subject of camera equipment comes up is this:

(and it shows in the way travis asked the question...."if not this camera, then what camera")

which to me is implying that the camera is at the top of your artistic pyramid of decision making, that eventually leads to the final image........and the reason, the impetus, the need, the desire..........the aesthetics are secondary............equipment then aesthetics. That is what i believe your order of priority in taking a picture is..........at least that is what i "read between the lines", the implied thought i hear, when you talk "gear".

grant implies that the aesthetics should come first......the reason, the impetus, the need, the desire............and that is what should be talked about more often. Yeah, gear has to come in there, and i know grant does not dismiss gear lightly........but it is just a tool.

Anybody with enough money (or credit) can buy the best camera that the equipment manufacturers can make. Understanding how to use the equipment and the differences between seemingly like hardware is also relatively easy to see and learn about...........and is probably why it is so often talked about...........it's easy to do.

Aesthetics on the other hand.........as noted above........can be incorporated into a picture with the cheapest piece of crap on the market.....a throwaway cam......... BUT........that is not so easy to discuss, is it? But it should be.........it is what makes the difference.......not a hassy or a leica......but a "sight" that can do what it wants, 90% of the time, with the camera that is presently available........the technical may not be perfect, but if the aestheticsof the image are......it really doesn't matter..........i can think of a few Masters of Photography that prove that point.

I guess the arguement could go on forever........but......what would be more beneficial to discuss..........leica lens quality over Nikon..............or, how do you make an image say "wet"....or "sorrow"....or "joy".....heartache, loss, love........or just that this is what i saw today that caught my eye......and make it interesting....

"grant implies that the aesthetics should come first......the reason, the impetus, the need, the desire............and that is what should be

talked about more often. Yeah, gear has to come in there, and i know grant does not dismiss gear lightly........but it is just a tool........"

<p>

<b>WE KNOW THIS ALREADY! WE'VE GRADUATED! NOT SECOND GRADERS! SUCH SIMPLISTIC BS! HOW STUPID DO YOU THINK WE ALL ARE???? IS THIS SOME PROFOUND IDEA HE INVENTED? TELL IT TO SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T KNOW IT! GET A CLUE! IT'S NOT TRAVIS YOU WANT!</b>

Ray .

whats with the space and dot........anyhow?

i can only comment with regard to what i read on this site........the majority of the discussions revolve around equipment. assuming you are correct, that you all know it..................why not discuss the aesthetics at least 50% of the time vice the present 3% (a guess)............

i'm not "after" anybody...........least of all travis.........it's just grant was questioning why so much talk about equipment, and not aesthetics (in his own "gruff" manner ;o)...........and i was asking the same thing in my much more eloquent manner ;o)

so...........why is it that?

Thomas, thanks for your input. If I'd wanted to discuss about the Art of seeing and nothing else, I'd start a thread on it. If I ask a simple question for the brand of a gear that you guys'd use besides Leica, Im looking for some brands of camera as answers and not some lectures.

It's like asking XYZ: "If MAcdonald's is out, what would you rather have to eat?"

TO which XYZ would say : "F*** U! It's about filling your stomach! WHo gives a shit what food!"

True. But those who are interested to know could just name the F***ing food and that's about it.

You think majority of us don't already know that food will fill one's stomach?

Thomas,

I'm all for discussing aesthetics. I've discussed it. Travis has discussed it. I've discussed it with Travis, Andrew, Beau, and others here.

I agree plenty of people need to hear Grant's viewpoint. I just don't think Travis is one of them. And he's already heard it.

Just read what I've written above before my response to you, if you want. I'm too tired of this argument to repeat it again.

Brad, "directness" isn't the issue to me, the constant rudeness is. FWIW, I like Grant's photography, but if, as he says, the vision and the picture itself are all that matter, then he should take his own advice and let them do the talking for him; they do a better job, anyway.

Travis, just buy a lot of painting gear and it'll come to you. It's

about the image. Aesthetics rule.

I prefer natural bristle brushes verses synthetic ones. I always

buy raw canvas to prep and stretch myself...only old ladies buy

prestretched ones. I mix my own pigments with various

mediums, tubes are for pussies.

The best way is to use no gear at all. Just your hands, pigment

and a surface that won't rot . Watch out, Thalo blue stains your

fingers like a mother f**ker. And there is one of the reds that is a

deadly poison, so don't pick your nose or lick your fingers.

Cadmium colors are all poisonous, but they'll just make you

puke. Which is okay if you puke on the canvas. It's quite colorful

when the Cadmium colors mix with last night's dinner.

Good luck, post some results when ready...if you're still among

the living.

Marc, ever thought of setting up your Online Painting Class?

If instructional lectures are placed on web, Im sure there are many people like me would like to try it out, step by step.

It takes a photographer to teach another? ;)

DO consider.