I'd have to agree with that.

Since I was a little kid trying to copy the works of Allen St. John in

my dad's 1930's Tarzan books, to painting huge oils until dawn

in my folks basement (thus failing first period high school

swimming due to being exhausted), to art school...I never even

considered a camera.

Later, using a camera just became a sort of "portable creativity"

to me...it's just a faster, lazier way of "seeing". In fact, I never

really knew how latently lazy I was until I picked up a camera.

Probably why I like digital so much...it's an even faster, lazier way

of seeing.

The painting/3D assemblage above was part of a gallery

installation commenting on the prolific and ubiquitous nature of

photography. The eyes are lenses, and the mouth is a camera.

There was a messy pile of photographs on the floor in front of it.<div>0067SJ-14665684.jpg.0ef0e99dfc307a1d2caaf73d6efd579c.jpg</div>

Fuji S2 PRO and Nikkor 35/2. Or the Hassy 503CX and an Imacon digital back. I sold

all my film-based gear six month after starting my advertising photography business

and don't regret it, only keeping the M6+35+75.

Cool thread. Funny, lot's of people still using Leicas nowadays. For the same reason I

do, I suppose.

Travis, I am home and severely jet lagged. So if this thread or anyones that follow doesn't mean any sense to you, then you know why.

Even though I have quite an array of cameras to choose from, I find myself always end up picking the M7 and the 35 cron ASPH. But scanning on the road is a problem because no matter how long I go away for, I don't check-in bags; only carry ons, So the second choice is the Sony DSC F717, It's tempting to bring along a 10D, but the heft of the lens and the body...I don't know and I am not sure.

Take care pal.

BTW, IMO, to many here are all wrapped up in themselves...the

chances of their becoming a huge influence in the photographic

world are about the same as winning the lotto. Bile ladden

comments are ludicrous when you consider just how small this

pond is.

Also, all the rule makers who have decided that having lots of

gear somehow strips you of your talent or ability to see are just

that...rule makers. No one ever said, "Marc, you have to many

brushes, and Christ, all those paints...you won't ever be a decent

painter with all that "gear".

Travis, yes there are B&W paintings.

Ray... "painting is really about color"...hmmm, someone should

have explained that rule to Motherwell, Klein, and all the

Japanese Sumi Masters ; -)

Oh yeah the original question, no Leica? ...then any one of my

HUGE collection of gear will do. I wouldn't have them If I didn't

use them...they're just a bucket of brushes and a carton of paints

to lazy old me...only more fun to fondle.<div>0067T0-14665984.jpg.6a1fa9a0480c0891a4d74007361befc5.jpg</div>

Of course the camera is related with the way you "see" things. I "see" different with a 6x6 then with a 35 mm camera.<br>Equipment IS important. Vision IS important. Developing an eye for photography can't be done without a camera. Developing an eye shouldn't be done only with a camera, I agree. <br>So I believe it's is normal that people who share a hobby talk about the instruments they use. Everyone does it, not only photographers. If I would say to a cyclist: "Hey man, your bike isn't important!", I think the man would think I'm crazy.

This either/or, gear vs. seeing argument is kinda 'stoopid' too. It's a balance of both. I'd bet that Grant is intimately familiar with the capabilities and limitations of whatever digicam he's using, but it takes a bit of fussing with the camera - any camera - to get to that point. You have to know your camera really well before you can forget about it.<div>0067Ti-14666184.jpg.6c557893ec5ae300d239d44c47554e2c.jpg</div>

if plural responses are now legal....

Nikon: F2,FM, FM2, FG, N8008S

Pentax: S1A, Spotmatic, SP1000, PZ-1

Rolleicord V, Yashica D, Agfa Record Billy III

Voigtlander: Bessa T101, R, Bessamatic

Zeiss Ikon: Contaflex, Contina IIa

seeing: eyes, brain, heart, gut, mixed with every thing I have ever looked at and imagined

I hope everybody has the opportunity today to take a photograph.....

Travis, I believe it was in the New Bedford, Mass. Public Library where I saw a collection of B&W oil paintings. New Bedford is an old whaling town, the place I was born and spent my youth, and I remember admiring a group of B&W paintings of whaling scenes. I was old enough to look closely at them and asure myself that they were indeed oil paintings! Let's not forget about all the other B&W artists who work in pencil, charcoal, or pen & ink, or work with lithography, linoleum blocks or wood blocks to make limited edition prints. All B&W art work without a doubt!

As for the nasty childish arguments that filled all that space above, you children (and you know who you are!) get no cookies with your milk after your nap today! You need to learn how to behave!

i'd be down to hexar af and crown graphic 4x5.

hey grant, you rag on me for mispelling someone's last name, and here you go posting grammatical errors all over the place? hypocrite! :-) take it easy man. if it's a fluff question, move on. you don't have to post in every thread. this forum's not about you grant. stop looking for attention.

Travis---Actually, you asked an interesting question. The question pertains to

my "routine photography" and what camera I'd use? I already use a Nikon for

my 'routine' stuff. For my 'personal' work I always use my M Leicas. If I couldn't

use the Leicas, I suppose I'd have to use the Nikons, but I wouldn't like it one

bit. I suppose I'd not use either the F5 or N90 and just use an old non-motor

F3 with my old 35 f2.0 Nikkor. It would work okay.

First off, anyone who owns more than 1 working camera at anytime shouldn't be calling this a stoopid thread. The fact that you made a conscious decision to purchase more than 1 camera reflects that to a certain extend, the gear means something to you. So in a way, you are trolling yourself and your conscience. I'll stop right here.

Whether you are obsessed about gear is personal. Im not. And I salute that someone who had been using his d100 since age 9 when he started photography many years ago. Why didn't he stick to his first camera and repair it and service it all these years, but switch to a digital one? Im not the least interested. And his future comments probably mean less to me from now on.

If asking forumers to state a piece of equipment hee/she'd use besides a Leica means being dumb, then obviously many people have been asking dumb questions. Which I doubt.

Im waiting for the day where I don't need a camera to take pictures. Im waiting for someone to put trix onto my retinas and a shutter dial on my ears. I'll roll/shake my head to develop the film with injected hc110 and let it fall our dry through my ears. Film!

till that day, my FX3 with the 24/28 will be my immediate next camera after my Leicas. I can see pretty well even then.

Thank you all for injecting your thoughts. If anyone still have their next choice to input, Im very happy to hear from you.

If I want to discuss the art of seeing, rest assured I'll start one. Im a troller remember?

cheers.

I'll use my second camera : a Nikon FG with its small 50mm lens (Series E). Almost the same dimensions as my M6, but much more noisy.

I definitely gave up my olympus mju II, too much automatic now (and too small as well).

My FG frame counter is out of order, so it often surprises me at the last shot, but all the rest is very very fine.

<I>I think the idea is to not take anonymous internet

personalities (probably meek mild-mannered bankers by day)

too seriously...</I><P>

Hmmmm. That conservative gray suit Grant wears when he

shoots must be keeping him from getting good pix...

www.citysnaps.net