The Old Photo.net - a Blast from the Past

I stumbled on something interesting today - thatparts of the old photo.net can be accessed on something called WayBackMachine, where it seems to have been archived. There are some forum posts and equipment reviews from around 2013, including some by Bob Atkins. Here's the link:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140104173313/http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/

It's worth having a look for old times sake. A screen shot:

Photonet.jpg

Edited by John Seaman
  • Like 3

Amazing, I even found one of my post !! There was a member asking how he could gain acces to stuff he posted prior to this new version of PN a few months ago. Maybe this link might help.

image.png.fcba4135fff60a4caca3c82811eebc65.png

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, John Seaman said:

There are quite a few of my old posts missing.

Using a 2B pencil on the back of the envelope calculation - there appears somewhere between eight (8), and ninety-eight (98) of your forum posts, which didn't make it.

WW

• Like 1

Wonderful that this site exists! I've used it myself now and again, usually to find 'archived' websites that have long since disappeared. 

For websites/forums that still exist, for me it's a) fun to visit and b) evokes a sense of nostalgia- especially for valued members who are sadly no longer with us.

Whether 'old posts' from +/- 10 years ago (on any archived blogs and forums) still have any real value to newer members - and especially to  non-member 'visitors' is debatable.  My personal opinion - based on my long-term membership of a saxophone forum - is that:

a) pretty much the same kind of questions/discussions come up at least every couple of months/years.

b) most current/new members prefer (by far!) to post their current questions in new threads to current members (as opposed to trawling through search results of posts on similar or related topics)

c) most current/new members prefer to ask for current (up-to-date) feedback rather than relying on +/- 10 year old feedback found in search results

d) answers to some questions do change over time; not fundamentally, but w.r.t. the availability of 'best buys' and 'external learning resources' (articles, books, websites, YouTube videos, 'best practice' examples, etc.)

So applying my 'sax forum' experience to PN, I strongly suspect that very similar principles work for PN too, for example:

- 'photography' (as a subject) has seen an explosion in consumer interest and 'learning resources' over the past +/- 10 years: books, magazines, videos, websites, blogs, workshops, etc. Anything to do with 'improving your photography' just sells!

- any +/- 10 year-old posts related to 'digital technology' (cameras, printers, scanners, post-processing) is now completely out of date

- the past 10 years have seen a renewed interest in 'Analogue'. Both in music and in photography. So film photography (using 'classic cameras') has now been taken up much more widely by young photographers than it had been previously in the 'digital age'. 

- as a consequence, many more 'film photography' websites, blogs and forums have sprung up in past years that are oriented towards young photographers who are re-discovering the joys of film photography; including skills and 'best buy' film cameras and lenses

(My) bottom line: PN - as  'go to place' on the internet to learn about (film) photography, classic cameras, etc. now has much more internet 'competition' than +/- 10 years ago.

For current PN members, this may not be such a big deal. We all IMHO have some 'shared values' and are generally comfortable with PN as it is (though some members may fondly reminisce about the 'old PN').  

2 hours ago, mikemorrellNL said:

Wonderful that this site exists! I've used it myself now and again, usually to find 'archived' websites that have long since disappeared. 

For websites/forums that still exist, for me it's a) fun to visit and b) evokes a sense of nostalgia- especially for valued members who are sadly no longer with us.

Whether 'old posts' from +/- 10 years ago (on any archived blogs and forums) still have any real value to newer members - and especially to  non-member 'visitors' is debatable.  My personal opinion - based on my long-term membership of a saxophone forum - is that:

a) pretty much the same kind of questions/discussions come up at least every couple of months/years.

b) most current/new members prefer (by far!) to post their current questions in new threads to current members (as opposed to trawling through search results of posts on similar or related topics)

c) most current/new members prefer to ask for current (up-to-date) feedback rather than relying on +/- 10 year old feedback found in search results

d) answers to some questions do change over time; not fundamentally, but w.r.t. the availability of 'best buys' and 'external learning resources' (articles, books, websites, YouTube videos, 'best practice' examples, etc.)

So applying my 'sax forum' experience to PN, I strongly suspect that very similar principles work for PN too, for example:

- 'photography' (as a subject) has seen an explosion in consumer interest and 'learning resources' over the past +/- 10 years: books, magazines, videos, websites, blogs, workshops, etc. Anything to do with 'improving your photography' just sells!

- any +/- 10 year-old posts related to 'digital technology' (cameras, printers, scanners, post-processing) is now completely out of date

- the past 10 years have seen a renewed interest in 'Analogue'. Both in music and in photography. So film photography (using 'classic cameras') has now been taken up much more widely by young photographers than it had been previously in the 'digital age'. 

- as a consequence, many more 'film photography' websites, blogs and forums have sprung up in past years that are oriented towards young photographers who are re-discovering the joys of film photography; including skills and 'best buy' film cameras and lenses

(My) bottom line: PN - as  'go to place' on the internet to learn about (film) photography, classic cameras, etc. now has much more internet 'competition' than +/- 10 years ago.

For current PN members, this may not be such a big deal. We all IMHO have some 'shared values' and are generally comfortable with PN as it is (though some members may fondly reminisce about the 'old PN').  

I found pictures that I forgot I had posted. Also, pictures from very talented photographers who are no longer here... 

2 hours ago, William Michael said:

Opps...

* " . . . Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound."

Opps is right. My black and white memories of Superman are about as good as my memories of what I did last weekend. Leap. Of course. Thank you. I bet I have better memories of his costume, though ...

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

8 hours ago, httpwww.photo.netbarry said:

I tried to go find some of the old Leica and rangefinder a the early Street and Documentary forums to find some of the great photo threads, probably back 2006-10? But couldn't find any. <sigh>

Here's one from July, 2008.  Not an S&D thread but a review of the Leica M8.

All the photos and member comments are intact.

(oops, the pasted link didn't come up right so I removed it)

Edited by Bettendorf
link

What I did was open John Seaman's link, hover over forums, click S&D.  At the top left click on '424 Captures'.

Now it's slow going, with selecting a year, clicking the link in any day, and choosing from the various threads.  Some are there, some are not.  The good article on the M8 that I mentioned is in July, 30 of '08 in the right side menu.  I had to open it and then refresh once or twice to get it to load correctly.

wayback.jpg.f1b399bb5b0def5d4b3308bd368cb204.jpg

Edited by Bettendorf
  • Like 1