Stairs, lines, curves and tones

Kamala

This is a picture of Smithsonian - Staircase architecture is beautiful. I want to submit this to a local gallery show (juried). Critique please and inputs for improvement is greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

StaircaseToFreedom.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice example of interior architecture - good composition, well exposed. Couple of minor suggestions - could the bright highlight top centre be eliminated or toned down, either by cropping or cloning? Also, would the image benefit from being less contrasty, retain more of the details in the shadows ? 

I'm torn about the contrast. As is, I think it emphasizes the stair. If they hired you to take this image, you'd ditch the crowd control ropes and the sign, but you can't do that.

There's lots of natural light coming in. I wonder how that'd change earlier or later.

It's beautiful but reflects the "in use" status. Maybe someone going up or coming down the stair would pull even more attention to the stair, as is. As I said, "torn." I want to see the stair as a beautiful work of art, without the distraction of the sign and ropes, but if I can't have that, maybe I want to see it in use.

Edited by dcstep

On 2/26/2024 at 8:29 AM, Tony Parsons said:

Very nice example of interior architecture - good composition, well exposed. Couple of minor suggestions - could the bright highlight top centre be eliminated or toned down, either by cropping or cloning? Also, would the image benefit from being less contrasty, retain more of the details in the shadows ? 

Thanks, Tony. I can eliminate the bright highlight. I tried playing with contrast, reducing contrast makes it shiny rather than extract details. There is not much texture to the 'railing' and hence the darker tones. Ropes, I could not help. I have a portrait version to get rid of ropes, but the composition isn't great. 

On 2/26/2024 at 12:23 PM, dcstep said:

I'm torn about the contrast. As is, I think it emphasizes the stair. If they hired you to take this image, you'd ditch the crowd control ropes and the sign, but you can't do that.

There's lots of natural light coming in. I wonder how that'd change earlier or later.

It's beautiful but reflects the "in use" status. Maybe someone going up or coming down the stair would pull even more attention to the stair, as is. As I said, "torn." I want to see the stair as a beautiful work of art, without the distraction of the sign and ropes, but if I can't have that, maybe I want to see it in use.

@dcstep, Thanks for the comments and inputs. Yes, I would keep the contrast just because there isn't much details. It is too shiny even if I reduce a little bit. 

I went there when there was too much light. Unfortunately, this was summer and Smithsonian's open and close when there is too much light and cannot do much about it.

Definitely like the idea about having someone on the staircase. Adds to the story. Ropes, I think I have to just leave it. They were all over! just couldn't avoid.

• Like 1

I don't feel the ropes are an issue here - they are a functional part of the environment. I was thinking more of lightening the areas around the plants, both those at the foot of the staircase and the ones just to the right of the notice board. I prefer the staircase without people on it - makes it more of a journey into the unknown. I'd be interested to know what focal length was used for this, please ?

Edited by Tony Parsons

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2024 at 3:26 PM, michael_kucinich said:

Very nice image, Kamala. Darkening down that light at the top center I think is wise. I would like to see the bright sheen on the floor on the right side darkenend down as to my eye, it takes away from the staircase.

Thanks Michael. That is true. Right side can be a little less brighter.

On 3/18/2024 at 8:21 PM, wogears said:

It's a nicely composed picture, but the shadows are definitely blocked. I don't know if you can raise the values, but I think it would help.

Thanks @wogears. I can try and see how that will look. For most part, I thought this was the best tones I could get.

Very nice but I think the scene needs to be shot again so that the rails etc, look less like clutter, or not shown at all.

The bright light on the floor in the lower right is distracting and indiscernible from a pool of flood water.

The lens flare "dots" (if that's what they are) below the stairs need to be spotted out.

I agree the shadows are too deep and there's no detail in them to make them good, you're stuck with those dark shadows the way they are.

Good attempt though IMO. Perhaps a few bracketed shots at a few different aperture settings, and positions, would have given you a better chance for success.

StaircaseToFreedom.jpg.cb3863aa24e1945d7c0eb2fd54ec328b.jpg.804ff0a8a4da3bd4ab78614a715ff25d.jpg

Edited by kmac

Very nice. I feel that the darkness of the plants in the lower left quarter balance the very bright upper quarter. Slight cropping of the bright light at top would also remove the top upper right quarter edge of slightly dimness, thus making that quarter brighter and balance lower left even more. 
If drawing one could remove ropes, etc., but unless set up still life, photographer deals with found objects. This is what makes photography both different and difficult.

On 2/23/2024 at 2:41 AM, Kamala said:

This is a picture of Smithsonian - Staircase architecture is beautiful. I want to submit this to a local gallery show (juried). Critique please and inputs for improvement is greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

StaircaseToFreedom.jpg

I'm neither a B/W or an architectural photographer. So I have all respect for the comments of other members above. Having said that, I wouldn't change a thing!

I think that it's a wonderful, well-composed B/W photo. I love the variation: in B/W contrasts from 'harsh' (dark grey to light grey) to very subtle (graduated). The wide variation in textures adds a lot to the photo. Finally, the perspective from the from the 'formal foreground' along the 'leading curve' of the staircase to the people at the back  is magical. The story the photo tells me is that 'the formal foreground' is impressive w.r.t architecture but 'empty of humanity'. 'Humanity' is found clustering together in the far background, far removed from the 'formality'.

• Like 1