Nikon Releases Firmware 2.0 for the Z8

ShunCheung

This is the link to download the new Z8 2.0 firmware: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/514.html

From Windows, this time you directly download the binary .bin file. There is no more executable archive from which you extract the binary.

The changes are a mile long, very extensive. I have downloaded it, but I am going to wait a couple of days to see whether there are any issues before I update my Z8. Below in blue is Nikon's description among the many many changes in 2.0.

Note: Users of the following software will need to update to the latest versions.

• • Camera Control Pro 2 version 2.37.0 or later, IPTC Preset Manager version 1.3.0 or later, NX Studio version 1.6.0 or later, NX MobileAir version 1.2.0 or later (Android edition) or version 1.1.4 or later (iOS), NX Field version 1.4.0 or later, NX Tether version 2.0.0 or later

Note: The changes listed below under “Still Photography”, “Video Recording”, “Playback”, “Controls”, “Displays”, and “Network (Also NX Field)” are detailed in the Supplementary Firmware Update Manual.

Note: Due to the addition of new menu items, some Custom Settings menu items have been renumbered.

■ Still Photography

• • Added [Pixel shift shooting] to the photo shooting menu.
  • • Added new picture controls.
  • • Added [Birds] to [AF subject detection options] in the photo shooting menu.
  • • The maximum shooting display zoom ratio is now 400%.
  • • Added [Auto capture] to the photo shooting menu. Users can select capture criteria from [Motion] (the direction the subject is moving), [Distance] (how far the subject is from the camera), and [Subject detection] (whether or not a subject of a given type is detected), and the camera will take photographs automatically while it detects subjects that meet the selected criteria. Note that [Distance] is available with NIKKOR Z lenses and may not function as expected when used with other lenses. The [FX (36×24)] and [DX (24×16)] image areas are available with auto capture.
  • • The length of time the camera will continue to buffer frames before cancelling shooting during the Pre-Release Capture phase of high-speed frame capture + has been increased from 30 to 300 seconds.
  • • Added [Large] to the size options available for [Secondary slot function] > [JPEG primary - JPEG secondary] in the photo shooting menu.
  • • Added new bracketing increments for use during auto bracketing with [AE & flash bracketing], [AE bracketing], or [Flash bracketing] selected for [Auto bracketing set]. This change also applies to [Interval timer shooting] > [Options] > [AE bracketing] > [Increment].

■ Video Recording

• • Added new picture controls.
  • • Added [Birds] to [AF subject detection options] in the video recording menu.
  • • The maximum shooting display zoom ratio is now 400%.
  • • Added [Auto capture] to the video recording menu. Users can select capture criteria from [Motion] (the direction the subject is moving), [Distance] (how far the subject is from the camera), and [Subject detection] (whether or not a subject of a given type is detected), and the camera will record video automatically while it detects subjects that meet the selected criteria. Note that [Distance] is available with NIKKOR Z lenses and may not function as expected when used with other lenses. The [FX] and [DX] image areas are available with auto capture.
  • • Added low ISO sensitivity options to [ISO sensitivity settings] > [ISO sensitivity (mode M)] for use during N-Log video recording.
  • • Changed the range of speeds available for Hi-Res Zoom.
  • • Added slow-motion video recording.

■ Playback

• • Added [Playback speed] in the video playback “i” menu.
  • • Added [Auto image rotation] in the playback menu.
  • • Added [Auto series playback options] to [Series playback] in the playback menu.
  • • Made changes to the [Select for upload to computer] and [Select for upload (FTP)] items in the playback “i” menu and added [Select for priority upload to computer] and [Select for priority upload (FTP)].

■ Controls

• • Added [Half-press to cancel zoom (MF)] item to the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU] in positions d18 and g17.
  • • Added [Focus point border width] to a11 [Focus point display] in the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU].
  • • Changes have been made to how a full format is performed with [Format memory card] in the [SETUP MENU].
  • • White balance and exposure compensation can now be adjusted while recalling the shooting function settings.
  • • Added support for the power zoom feature on power zoom lenses.
  • • Added an [Exposure delay mode] item to the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU] in position d6.
  • • Added to the custom controls and roles assignable via the following items in the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU]. New reset options have also been added.
    • - f2[Custom controls (shooting)]
    • - f3[Custom controls (playback)]
    • - g2[Custom controls]
    •    Choose [Prefer focus point] or [Prefer focus point (face priority)] for f3 [Custom controls (playback)] > [Main command dial] or [Sub-command dial] > [Frame advance zoom position].
      The settings for f3 [Custom controls (playback)] > [Main command dial] or [Sub-command dial] > [Frame advance] can now be applied during playback zoom.
  • • Made updates to [Non-CPU lens data] in the [SETUP MENU].
  • • Increased the character limit from 3 to 256 for “Category” entries in IPTC presets.
  • • Restructured the [Camera sounds] item in the [SETUP MENU] with the addition of new options, including new sounds and volume level adjustment for the electronic shutter.

■ Displays

• • Added focus-distance information to the focus distance indicator displayed during manual focus.
  • • The option selected for [Viewfinder display size] (formerly [Finder display size (photo Lv)]) in the [SETUP MENU] now also applies in video and playback modes.

■ Network (Also NX Field)

• • A warning now appears when the connection to an ATOMOS AirGlu BT accessory is unstable or disrupted.
  • • ATOMOS AirGlu BT accessories and MC-N10 remote grips can now be used together.
  • • Made changes and additions to the [Connect to FTP server] item in the [NETWORK MENU].
  • • Changed the procedure used when configuring the camera for synchronized release, increasing to twenty the number of groups that can be created, while the number of cameras in each group that can be controlled from the master camera has been increased to sixteen.
  • • Added [Overwrite copyright info] under [Connect to other cameras] in the [NETWORK MENU].

■ App-Related Changes

With NX MobileAir:

• • the camera live view display for photo mode now shows NX MobileAir status, and
  • • camera settings saved to a memory card using [Save/load menu settings] can now be downloaded to the smart device or copied from the smart device to the camera memory card using NX MobileAir.

■ Other Changes

• • The time the shooting display goes dark after shutter is released when [ON] is selected for [Photo flicker reduction] in the [PHOTO SHOOTING MENU] has become shorter.
  • • Improved the accuracy of [3D-tracking] for small, fast-moving subjects when [Auto], [People], [Animal], or [Vehicle] is chosen for [AF subject detection options] and no subject of the selected type is detected.
  • • Improved focus lock-on with flicker detection in low-speed continuous release mode.
  • • Made other improvements to the autofocus operation and its reliability.
  • • Fixed an issue that sometimes resulted in the viewfinder darkening during playback when [Auto] was selected for [Viewfinder brightness].
  • • It is now easier to obtain the correct exposure from the first shot during interval-timer photography in high-contrast settings or settings dark enough for starlight view.
  • • The histogram display is no longer available when starlight view is enabled.
  • • Changed the video low-capacity warning so that it is now displayed in white on a red background when there is less than one minute remaining. The warning is now also displayed when recording is not in progress.
  • • Users now have more precise control when scrolling through videos during playback using the progress bar.
  • • When [AF-area mode] is set to [3D-tracking] and the human subject is large relative to the frame and multiple eyes are detected near the tracking focus point, the camera will assign priority for focusing to the eye closer to the point.
  • • The RGB histogram is now easier to view when [Mode 1] or [Mode 2] is selected for d11 [Warm display colors] in [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU].
  • • Fixed the following issues:
    • - Photos taken with interval-timer photography could sometimes be underexposed.
    • - Flash may not sometimes fire during focus shift.
    • - The focus position unintentionally returned to the position saved using [Save focus position] if standby timer was expired while power was supplied via USB and a WR-R10 was attached.
    • - Optimal exposure could sometimes not achieved in burst or focus shift shooting.
    • - Pressing the AF-ON button immediately ended playback when [Playback] was assigned to [AF-ON button] and [Prioritize viewfinder (2)] was selected for monitor mode.
    • - Shutter release was sometimes disabled when “Bulb” was selected for shutter speed.
    • - Focus point selection using the multi selector and sub-selector was unavailable if a touch operation was performed using [Position focus point] when [3D-tracking] was selected for AF-area mode.
    • - Fine-tuning values set in [AF fine-tuning options] in the setup menu did not apply while the subject is detected with [Wide-area AF (S)], [Wide-area AF (L)], [Wide-area AF (C1)], or [Wide-area AF (C2)] selected for [AF-area mode].

Downloaded and installed.

It's good to see substantial and also smaller improvements to the camera. I particularly dislike the light that turns on with the self-timer so I am very glad they added exposure delay mode for tripod-based shooting when one doesn't have time to connect a remote release and yet does not want to introduce vibration due to touching the camera.

Awesome! Thank you Nikon 👍

The cycle AF area feature is great. Bird in tree, SPOT, Bird leaves tree, Medium Custom Square, Eeek, Bird zig zags, Auto Area... all while in Bird Mode.

All with 3 presses of one Fn Button.  Which one, not sure yet... 🤔

I've been wanting 'cycling' buttons for a while. Not press here and turn that.. I've got small hands ☹️

I'll give pixel shift a try once I've updated NX Studio.

I guess all these goodies are about to appear on the Z9?

1 hour ago, ShunCheung said:

Ricci received the new firmware early

I think he likes it. Especially the return of Exposure Delay Mode  🙂

Auto Capture video sounds like a VERY high end trail cam. 

I'm guessing having no shutter (no vibration) and a high shutter speed, say 1/2000, you could almost use Pixel Shift on things that move slowly? Certainly things like clouds wouldn't show movement down to maybe 1/125th?

However, it would make a 32 bird flock from a single bird @ 1/1000th 🤣 I wonder if the software would remove them?

1 hour ago, mike_halliwell said:

I think he likes it. Especially the return of Exposure Delay Mode  🙂

Auto Capture video sounds like a VERY high end trail cam. 

I'm guessing having no shutter (no vibration) and a high shutter speed, say 1/2000, you could almost use Pixel Shift on things that move slowly? Certainly things like clouds wouldn't show movement down to maybe 1/125th?

However, it would make a 32 bird flock from a single bird @ 1/1000th 🤣 I wonder if the software would remove them?

I'm not sure how fast the constituent shots are taken but they're for sure further apart than 1/2000s. The camera has to do a certain amount of processing on the data before it goes on the card and that dictates how fast the images can be captured. Most subjects that move, including landscape in windy conditions would move too fast for the pixel-shift sequences, especially with 32 images. I think it's mostly a feature you can use in a studio or other fully controlled environment with controlled, continuous lights. (Flash is not supported, apparently.)

28 minutes ago, ilkka_nissila said:

I'm not sure how fast the constituent shots are taken

Just did a short experiment with a 32 frame 'shift' and the answer is about 13 hundredths per frame..

So total being about 3 3/4 sec per full shift.

So, very roughly 10fps. Not to shabby.👍

Interestingly the gap isn't quite consistent throughout the set. You get a shifted time and a re-shoot time.

I checked various forum and FaceBook groups. It looks like everybody is upgrading their Z8 just fine. I just upgraded myself and it took a bit less than 5 minutes. So far no issues. Very happy to have bird AF on my Z8 now, just like the Z9.

I found today a bug which leads to overexposure by several stops on random occasions (auto ISO, aperture priority). Turning the camera off and back on resolves the issue, but it returned twice. Admittedly the temperatures were low (-15 C) but this hasn't happened to me previously with the camera and I suspect it might be FW 2.0 related. I'll monitor the situation and see if it happens also in less frigid conditions and then report to Nikon if it persists.

56 minutes ago, ilkka_nissila said:

a bug which leads to overexposure by several stops on random occasions

Is it inducing metering errors, or false exp. comp?

Anything helpful in EXIF ie, does it show the Light Value change, ie brightness perception suddenly changes or the exposure it deems correct is wrong.

Sorry, not very well articulated. 🙁

Software designers HATE random, so hopefully it's weather related. 🙂

25 minutes ago, mike_halliwell said:

Is it inducing metering errors, or false exp. comp?

Anything helpful in EXIF ie, does it show the Light Value change, ie brightness perception suddenly changes or the exposure it deems correct is wrong.

Sorry, not very well articulated. 🙁

Software designers HATE random, so hopefully it's weather related. 🙂

I am not sure I actually took frames, but I'll need to check the results when I get home. The EVF display was bleached out, so I was waiting for it to bring it down which it did not. The exposure scale lit up and suggested several stops of overexposure but I had not applied +/- EC. The only way to bring it to normality was by turning the camera off and then back on.

I've used the camera in much harsher conditions, so I am not convinced it was weather related. I was also shooting mostly wide open so it couldn't have been caused by a sticky aperture (which can happen in very cold conditions).

Edited by ilkka_nissila
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, ilkka_nissila said:

I am not sure I actually took frames, but I'll need to check the results when I get home. The EVF display was bleached out, so I was waiting for it to bring it down which it did not. The exposure scale lit up and suggested several stops of overexposure but I had not applied +/- EC. The only way to bring it to normality was by turning the camera off and then back on.

I've used the camera in much harsher conditions, so I am not convinced it was weather related. I was also shooting mostly wide open so it couldn't have been caused by a sticky aperture (which can happen in very cold conditions).

Nikon's response was that I should test if it occurs with multiple lenses, and depending on that, the problem could be caused by the lens or camera body. Then take the component to service which is exhibiting the problem.

1 hour ago, ilkka_nissila said:

The EVF display was bleached out, so I was waiting for it to bring it down which it did not.

I missed that bit.  I've sometimes had to dial in, say, +2.7EV (M + Auto ISO) for a dark kite's underwing against a white sky and occasionally the EVF whites-out and doesn't reflect the current exposure for quite a few seconds, so much so I can't actually see the bird I'm correctly exposed for. I put it down to user error.

Equally, it sounds like you're going back out into the cold.... 🥶

1 hour ago, ilkka_nissila said:

Nikon's response was that I should test if it occurs with multiple lenses, and depending on that, the problem could be caused by the lens or camera body. Then take the component to service which is exhibiting the problem.

Is that related to the firmware 2.0 upgrade? Seems like they are talking about an independent issue.

You can always downgrade the FW back to 1.01 and see whether the issue goes away.

Just now, ShunCheung said:

Is that related to the firmware 2.0 upgrade? Seems like they are talking about an independent issue.

You can always downgrade the FW back to 1.01 and see whether the issue goes away.

I've used the camera and this lens for a while now and also in colder conditions than today, and it never exhibited this kind of a problem before FW 2.0 installation.

I read from another user who reported (also after FW 2.0 installation) the EVF going dark after pressing Fn1 or Fn2, and this was reported to be fixed by cycling through the monitor modes.  I'm figuring that there could be some issue where the firmware has some variables whose initial values are not consistent with the current stored settings of the camera (right after the FW installation) until the settings are adjusted, after which the camera works (apparently) correctly.  I could be having a related issue. Anyway I will try to use the camera as Nikon suggested with different lenses, and see if the problem repeats itself.

Yesterday I was exploring the new feature, Auto Capture.  I noticed in the Subject Detection mode that "bird" was not an option.  The options were:  auto, people, animals, cars and planes.  I mentioned that last night on the Paul Van Allen webinar.  Neither he nor Mark Comon were aware of that issue.  I would imagine that should be an easy fix.

2 hours ago, brian_niemi1 said:

Yesterday I was exploring the new feature, Auto Capture.  I noticed in the Subject Detection mode that "bird" was not an option.  The options were:  auto, people, animals, cars and planes.  I mentioned that last night on the Paul Van Allen webinar.  Neither he nor Mark Comon were aware of that issue.  I would imagine that should be an easy fix.

Birds and airplanes are not an option in Z9 FW 4.1, as far as I can tell from the Z9 supplementary manual. Planes are available on the Z8 but birds are not. I guess the auto capture options are trailing a bit and there are some differences between models.

19 minutes ago, mike_halliwell said:

So, nothing that flies for the Z9.

But planes for the Z8?

Gotta say, sounds like a continuation of model 'separation' by crippling in reverse.

Big Z9 update coming very soon 😉

Well, in this case it may have been simply the case that they had to release the FW update someday and there is always further development work that could be done. Rather than intentional crippling I would guess that this is as far as they got. Auto capture must be very resource-hungry as it is constantly viewing the scene and evaluating it for subjects, movement, etc. potentially for a long time. Bird-detection is likely much more demanding than (say) human detection because there are so many varieties of different shapes and colours of birds. Think of it as a work in progress, eventually I am sure they'll provide some implementation of bird-detection in auto capture.

• Like 2

The fact that recent firmware updates for cameras show that the hardware is capable of supporting more functionality, I wonder when camera makers will shift and begin to charge for function upgrades but hopefully continue to provide fixes free of charge? Or even sell a hardware package with a basic system and allow you to purchase upgrades to the next higher model as a firmware upgrade. Hopefully they will not shift to a subscription model.

12 hours ago, bgelfand said:

The fact that recent firmware updates for cameras show that the hardware is capable of supporting more functionality, I wonder when camera makers will shift and begin to charge for function upgrades but hopefully continue to provide fixes free of charge? Or even sell a hardware package with a basic system and allow you to purchase upgrades to the next higher model as a firmware upgrade. Hopefully they will not shift to a subscription model.

Nikon's peers have provided excellent bird subject recognition for autofocus since 2020 (Canon) and 2021 (Sony) without charging separately for that feature. I hardly think Nikon catching up in 2024 (or 2023 in the Z9 FW 4.1) warrants a separate payment for the firmware update. Nikon's market share is also not that good in the mirrorless market and so good support and (free) firmware updates are needed to win back the good will of the customers and perhaps eventually get some of the customers that went to other brands back. In this price class (Z8) Nikon is competitive in terms of overall functionality and features (though people still say the AF is not as good in some situations as Canon and Sony such as the Nikons too frequently focuses on human eyelashes instead of the iris, but at least Nikon is making an effort and providing some new features) but switching back and forth between systems is expensive and so they have an uphill battle. (I agree on the iris/eyelash issue but it is mainly a problem for close-ups at very wide apertures which is not typically my thing; normally for close-up head shots I would stop down to f/3.5 at least, but if there is little light it may be necessary to shoot at a wider aperture, resulting in many iris focus misses).

In the video world per pay or per subscription firmware is common due to licensing costs of codecs etc. However, those cameras typically cost tens of thousands of euros and I wonder how long they can maintain those prices given the relatively low cost, light weight and advanced functionality of mirrorless hybrids also in the video domain.

Edited by ilkka_nissila