5 Degree vs. 10 Degree Spot Meter

hjoseph7

I was thinking about purchasing a Spot Meter attachment for my Minolta Auto Meter IIIF light meter. The Spot Meter adapter run about $50 on eBay depending on the condition. This is an old meter (circa 1980), but it still works fine. I compared it against my more modern Sekonic L-358 and the Minolta is spot on. The reason I replaced it, is because it tends to eat up the (hard to find) battery very quickly. This meter does not have an off/on switch, but its supposed to turn itself off after about 2 minutes. Unfortunately, I don' think that part works. In any case,  I saw various used Minolta Spot Meter adapters for sale, some are 10 degree and some are 5 degree.

For some reason there seems to me more 10 degree adapters for sale ? I'm leaning more towards the 5 degree adapter because I think it might be more useful for my needs. I plan to use this meter + adapter to average out various spot meter readings, mainly for B&W photography. What would be the advantage of using 10 degree vs 5 degree ? My guess is that the 10 degeree Spot Meter might allow more background light into the reading making it less accurate, but that's just my guess...    

Edited by hjoseph7

I would agree that a smaller angle is better.  For zone system work I have long used a Soligor 1 degree spot (not a flash meter) and I have a 5 degree attachment for my Sekonic L 718 which does work with flash. The finder for the Sekonic 5 degree attachment is a bit vague but it works well enough.  Incidentally, if you're tired of burning through batteries for your Minolta, my older Sekonic meters run for months at a time on AA alkaline batteries with frequent use.  L 718 meters in decent condition generally run around $100 or so in the usual places, and my experience with Sekonic meters has been excellent.

13 hours ago, hjoseph7 said:

" L 718 meters in decent condition generally run around $100 or so"

Thanks I'll take a look. I always wanted one of those, but the price kept me away...

Does it do averaging ?

Not that I know of--I've never attempted to use it that way and I haven't looked at the manual in decades, so it's possible that it can. I almost always use it as an incident meter with studio flash so I've never needed or wanted that capability.

With the Sekonic L718 you still have to get the 5 degree spot attachment. I would recommend the Minolta Spotmeter M. I saw several on ebay for $150 or so. Its a 1 degree meter and would do average and also uses only 1 AA battery. It also has a real on/off switch so it can't drain the battery either. 

Edited by BeBu Lamar

Here are 2 pictures of the Sekonic L-718 and the Minolta Auto Meter IIf. Notice that the Minolta has an Average button. The way it works is that you take a reading, save it to memory(Memory button is labeled 'M' ), take subsequent readings while saving and after you are finished saving all of your readings, you push the [Average} button to get an average of all the meter readings saved in memory. I'm not sure if the the Sekonic l-718 can handle this ? I know the higher model  the Sekonic L-858 has a built-in Spot Meter with averaging, but is way more expensive ! 

l-718.JPG

Minolta autometer IIIf.JPG

Edited by hjoseph7

"'ve got a Sekonic L-438 View Spot Meter which has a variable spot of 3,4,6 and 10 degrees. I use it a lot, mainly for checking film camera meters. It runs off a single AA battery."

This doesn't sound like a bad deal... They are going for less than $100 on eBay, but I don't see an [Average] button ?

3 hours ago, hjoseph7 said:

Here are 2 pictures of the Sekonic L-718 and the Minolta Auto Meter IIf. Notice that the Minolta has an Average button. The way it works is that you take a reading, save it to memory(Memory button is labeled 'M' ), take subsequent readings while saving and after you are finished saving all of your readings, you push the [Average} button to get an average of all the meter readings saved in memory. I'm not sure if the the Sekonic l-718 can handle this ? I know the higher model  the Sekonic L-858 has a built-in Spot Meter with averaging, but is way more expensive ! 

l-718.JPG

Minolta autometer IIIf.JPG

The Minolta III takes a maximum of three readings to average.  

1) " I have the IIIf with a 10 degree spot attachment.  The 5 degree does not work on the III but will on the IV

2) "The Minolta III takes a maximum of three readings to average.  "

1) Wow, Bummer !! Good thing I posted this.  I downloaded the manual for the Minolta II(check bellow),  not the IIIF and it seems to work fine with that meter. Are you sure the 5 degeree meter does not work with the IIIF ? 

2) Geez that's not a lot of readings,  but its better than nothing. Maybe I can do a highlights reading , then a shadows reading, then somewhere in between ? If things get critical, I can repeat the process using other values ?

My Canon EOS-3 camera can average about  8 spot readings at a time then average them, but you are talking about 15 years in technological progress.

I learned the hard way that after using this Meter, it's best to take the battery out. It has been sitting there for 3+ years without the battery, but once I plugged the battery in, it worked just fine 😊.    

min2.JPG

Edited by hjoseph7

9 hours ago, hjoseph7 said:

I don't see an [Average] button ?

No, it just gives single readings, no averaging function. You look through the finder and point the spot to the area of interest, press the button and it gives a light value reading on a scale in the finder. There's also a scale on the top which gives the camera settings for different ISO's.

Looks like my L-358 can average up to 9 values which is great ! Unfortunately I could not find a Spot viewfinder under $150

Minolta does not list the 5 degree Spot viewfinder as one of the accessories for the Minolta IIIF. It does list the 10 degree Spot viewfinder. However you still might be able to use the 5 degree with the IIIF if you add 1.2 stops to each reading,  which makes it a little inconvenient.

image.png.a47e293588a164865edc2cae60165d07.png