Northern Lights 2023

Lovely photosgraphs for sure. The Northern Lights are something I've never seen, at least not at their fullest. If at all. That said, I've read somewhere on the 'net that conditions are right for The Lights to extend further south this winter, and I know they've been seen in Pennsylvania's northern tier already this fall, so perhaps there's some hope for us east coasters? 

5 hours ago, Robin Smith said:

Finding a dark sky might be more of an issue.

A great truth! Many years ago (1965) I got up at some ungodly hour and 25º F cold to photograph a comet on the eastern horizon. Drove to a small grass field airport where it was very open to the horizon -- only to discover a NJ Turnpike rest stop was in the general line of sight. Drove another half dozen miles to I'm not even sure where to be able to get a decent shot.

I have seen aurora from northern Pennsylvania toward the western end of the state where I was camping in a near wilderness area with minimal light pollution.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/23/2023 at 1:16 PM, dave_thomas8 said:

A great truth! Many years ago (1965) I got up at some ungodly hour and 25º F cold to photograph a comet on the eastern horizon. Drove to a small grass field airport where it was very open to the horizon -- only to discover a NJ Turnpike rest stop was in the general line of sight. Drove another half dozen miles to I'm not even sure where to be able to get a decent shot.

I have seen aurora from northern Pennsylvania toward the western end of the state where I was camping in a near wilderness area with minimal light pollution.

Most of us need to travel. Even those of us in Colorado might fly up to Fairbanks, Iceland or Norway. I thought my trip to Fairbanks and the hours spent standing on frozen lakes was worth the effort:

52773447011_27f67ccdae_k.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent! 1
  • Very Nice 1