Canon 7 Body only - WIHIH?

Or, What In Hell Is Happening?

I am witnessing a very curious collector's market phenomenon, that I cannot begin to understand. Ebay is awash with Canon 7s being offered by Japanese sellers, which in itself is hardly surprising given that the camera is certainly not rare. Point is, most if not all offers are for "body only", which is rather puzzling in that I would assume these cameras were originally purchased complete with a lens. Any suggestion as to the reasons for the "body only" options? Perhaps, the sellers have all uninimously agreed that it would be more profitable to sell bodies and lenses separatedly? (unlikely, because the double shipping costs would deter many potential customers). Or, someone has located a huge stack of bodies left behind from Canon's production (e.g., not passed quality controls)? Any suggestion?

It is always more profitable to sell things separately unless the listing fee negates it. Even I, who have never sold on eBay know that, as it also applies to other selling platforms.

Inexperienced sellers may want to "get-over-it" and rid of their stash in one go, but that obviously isn't the Japanese sellers you are looking at.
One may argue,; If a seller felt the need to climb the barrier to sell on ebay, she probably figured that out before listing.

My suggestion is to look elsewhere with patience.

Edited by Niels - NHSN
Niels

• 2 weeks later...

The lenses are very much in demand as noted for use/adaptation on digital bodies. Classic glass seems to be in vogue these days and the sellers know it.

Back in the 80’s the Japanese were buying anything pre-1970; hording the stuff with buyers in America shipping as much back to Japan as they could get their hands on, at what was at the time very inflated prices, before their economy went into the tank.

Much of it seems to now be coming back.

Usually camera body and lenses are more expensive than a camera, or lens sold separately. Big camera retailers can offer discounts on camera bodies with lenses, but they are surely not going to apply those discounts to top-notch lenses. Most likely you will get a starter(consumer), or inferior lens with your purchase.

I have a Canon 7 on the shelf that I've been seriously considering selling-actually I should but just haven't gotten around to it.

I don't currently have any LTM lenses. The last I had with the 35mm and 50mm pair that I sold as a kit with my IIIc. Yes maybe I could have broken them up, butat that point was ready to just let it go to someone who wanted it. I kind of wish I had kept the 35mm, and it would be a nice pairing on the Canon 7.

I think whether or not to sell a complete kit depends on the specific camera and the likely buyer, as well as whether you want to sell quickly or maximize profit. As a prime example, if you put a Hassy 500C/M with a waist level, 80mm, and A12 back on Ebay and priced it reasonably, you'd probably sell it in a week. If you parted it out, you might get an extra $100 or $200, but you'd potentially be dealing with 4 separate buyers, 4 separate transactions, and shipping 4 separate items as well as possibly waiting weeks to sell everything. I'm going to be listing a Canon AE-1 on Ebay later today, and I will sell it with a 50mm f/1.8. Why? The 50mm likely wouldn't bring enough to list by itself, and probably 75% of prospective Canon AE-1 buyers on Ebay want a camera they can unbox and use.

The Canon 7 I feel like is a niche enough camera that many people who would be interested in it likely already have lenses. The only lens I'd potentially pair with it would be the f/.95, but in that case the body would more or less fade into the background as the real attraction there would be the lens. As fond as I am of the 7 as an LTM rangefinder(IMO the best made, although it's definitely big and bulky by rangefinder standards) it doesn't really seem to get the attention of the Canon Barnack clones.

In more general terms, though, I feel like higher end cameras tend to sell well without lenses. It's pretty rare that I would sell a Nikon F2 or Canon F-1 with a lens unless it's a situation where I have a boxed kit and the lens SN matches the tag. Someone buying one of these to use more than likely has plenty of lenses already.