Do you regret...

hjoseph7

This post is for people like me, who purchased Photo equipment thinking they might need it someday only for that purchase to become a bust. What I mean is, I got tons of equipment that I purchased that is still in my dungeon collecting dust. At the time of purchase, I thought it might come handy someday, but things did not work as I planned or imagined, so I never got to use them.

I hate to put some of this stuf on eBay, some of which I have already done, but what is the sense of keeping it ? Today while digging in my dungeon I found some old equipment that still works, such as a Minolta Auto Meter IIIF which was state-of-the-art back in its day, but has since been replaced. Also, a Metz P50 power pack which I have no Idea why I purchased it, until I did a Google search and found an old review I had written back in 2011. This power pack has also been replaced.

Some people sell their stuff as fast as they upgrade, but I tend to be sentimental given the effort I put in to purchasing the item. Maybe I would be driving a Rolls Royce right now if I had not purchased some of these useless items. Do you guys ever have regrets like these ?  

Edited by hjoseph7

I tend to sort through and keep what I like. Nikon here, but the idea is the same. I buy lenses, try them, and if I like them keep them but sell the rest. Having moved to Nikon Z, the old leneses don't keep up as much but some of the old AIS lenses with FTZ adapter are really nice. Don't think I regret selling off stuff. Haven't quite gotten around to selling the Nikon 9000 slide scanner but, well.......

I’m a bit stuck in the past. I’ve reaquired some Nikkors that impressed me back in the day and are still excellent in my opinion. The 180/2.8 ED is one, the 105/2.5 is another. Some of Nikon’s best at the time and I’m not seeing much that’s newer and better. Nanocoating may be amazing but it’s lacking in character. The very old 85-250 zoom has a look all its own. Nobody makes something comparable. Then there’s the 80-200/2.8 D. Nothing else needs to be said. The manufacturers now have moved to high tech and the rest be damned. Honestly, the glass I used heavily in the 70’s and 80’s is still producing more interesting images. 

Rick H.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rick Helmke said:

I’m a bit stuck in the past. I’ve reaquired some Nikkors that impressed me back in the day and are still excellent in my opinion. The 180/2.8 ED is one, the 105/2.5 is another. Some of Nikon’s best at the time and I’m not seeing much that’s newer and better. Nanocoating may be amazing but it’s lacking in character. The very old 85-250 zoom has a look all its own. Nobody makes something comparable. Then there’s the 80-200/2.8 D. Nothing else needs to be said. The manufacturers now have moved to high tech and the rest be damned. Honestly, the glass I used heavily in the 70’s and 80’s is still producing more interesting images. 

Rick H.

I also have the Nikkor 180/2.8 ED and the 105/2.5 that I don't think I'm going to part with unless I go blind(knock-on-wood). If I remember correctly, I got the 180mm as part of a package deal with a Norman 200C power pack in great condition.  I paid peanuts for both items on eBay. I think the seller just wanted to get rid of that stuff.

Come to think about it, a lot of my past purchases were for equipment that I always wanted, but could not afford, until the Digital revolution. Although the Minolta IIIF (circa 1980) is not the most user friendly Light Meter in the world, at least not as user friendly as my Sekonic L358, it does allow for Spot Metering with a dirt cheap adapter. The Spot Meter adapter for my Sekonic almost cost as much as the light-meter itself !

Another good thing  I stumbled upon, is that the Metz P50 power pack that had been sitting there for years(10+ years), still works and can power my 2  Metz 50 Mz5 handle mount flashes, no problem.  When I tried to power them with the more modern P76 power pack, it didn't work for some reason ? I thought it was the cable, but it seems like the extremely hard to find cable is actually OK ! Nobody uses handle-mounts at weddings anymore because with the more modern digital cameras you can boost the ISO to your hearts desire. However, they do come in handy for bouncing off the wall & ceiling,  large groups, plus it's a higher quality of light.

If you think 'Expensive Hobby' then you might not feel as many regrets. Who cares if your equipment is dated as long as it works and does what you want it to...               

When I was going through a 'tough time' I went to an existentialist Counselor (Now I wonder if such a thing is possible). One thing I did learn is not to worry about things that are done and unchangeable.

Things that I do not regret?

My Pentacon Super, my Leica M3,

• Like 1