Under the Deck

Wayne Melia

large.20230720-0286-web.jpg.b4f18d82674e

under the deck

I took/captured this because "i liked it".

But even as I did so, I had no real definition/reason why I liked it.

It's presented here pretty much as what I saw, full frame, white balanced (in LR} on the white pipes. I still kinda like it, and still don't know why.

I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than myself (a pretty low bar!) of image design/structure, or whatever can flesh out whatever can flesh out what's here.

The only thing I can come up with is the juxtaposition of the delicate little flowers with the coarse plumbing parts and other junk. 

OR, and quite possibly a larger truth, there really is no appeal. Just a hallucination on my part. If so, say so.

• Like 1

It's an interesting random arrangement of 'junk' and I can see why it's worth photographing. 

The main thing I can come with is the 'structure' in this arrangement (pipes, joints, flowers, etc.).

In the top half of the photo, there are a lot of converging lines: pipes, box, brickwork and also parts of the wood (top-right).  So (for me) these lines give the top-half a kind of 'structure'. But there are also a few 'breaks/conflicts' which don't negate the convergence but add visual interest: the diagonal bar top-right, the diverging corner of the woodblock and the curve at the top of one of the pipes.

In the bottom hald, the pipes on the right suggest a visual 'triangle'. If I look (slightly unfocused) at the top-half of the photo, I see other 'triangles' too. For example, above the top right, I see two triangles. Between the brickwork and the box another one. Between the pipes at the top, another two triangles. EVen the 3 yellow flowers seem (visually) form a triangle.

The pipe joints bottom left don't (for) me have a definite form but are close and similar enough to create a 'cluster' of things that naturally 'belong together'. The variety  of shapes (curved/straight) and perspectives add visual interest.

TBH when I first saw the photo, I thought, OK just backyard junk. But thinking more about why you like it helped me discover a lot of interesting ' visual structure' in the photo which I initally didn't see. 

So (to my surprise!) I discovered some 'order' in the inital 'chaos' that I saw!

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/18/2023 at 10:17 AM, Robin Smith said:

Why? 

Why not?

I admit I shoot stuff sometimes just to see if a photo matches at all, my vision for a captured image. Often, I find the shot doesn't live up to my expectations or isnt what I thought it could be. This image reminds me of this.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ricochetrider said:

Often, I find the shot doesn't live up to my expectations or isnt what I thought it could be.

Yes! Remember, a really good Major League Baseball player is thrilled to have a .300 batting average. As I understand it, they learn not only from their home runs but from their strikeouts, especially how the opposing pitcher works. I am sometimes pretty sure a shot I’m going to take isn’t going to work, but something in me kicks in and I take the shot anyway. Curiosity. Challenge. Experimentation. I may not show it to anyone, but it becomes part of my process and experience. Process and experience is what helps build vision and leads eventually to results I care about and like. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

It would be better, I think, if we allowed each other the space to participate and critique as we see fit. Just as there are a variety of ways to photograph, there are a variety of ways to critique. I suggest reading some art, movie, music, theater, and photography critiques that can be found all over the web. Much discussion of photographers’ and other artists’ motivations from critics of all stripes. Not that I’m suggesting you critique that way. Just hoping to introduce a bit more tolerance.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

On 10/4/2023 at 12:07 AM, marc_rochkind said:

It would be better, I think, if we limited our critique to the photo itself, rather than going into other matters, such as why the photographer shot it.

So a photo is made with a click of a shutter in a fraction of a second. But what is it that leads to that moment? There’s a lot going on in the lead-up to activating the shutter. To my way of thinking, the process- thought, intent, vision… are all important elements that lead to taking a photo. Peering into all that, to gain an understanding of what the shooter was seeing in their mind’s eye, IMO is as big a part of critique as any discussion of the actual photo. 

I surmise that while the photo itself doesn’t hit home with me, the process leading up to taking the shot might be very close to my own processes. 

Hope that clarifies where I was going  with my post. @Wayne Melia (and anyone else too) is of course 100% welcome to respond to anything and everything I might say here. I’ve participated in many of these critiques, as a shooter and as a viewer. There’s often plenty of discussion so why suggest limitations here & now.  

I think we all have to accept there are many (so many) photos we do not warm to, even if we can see what they are driving at - I understand that. Some photos I have no idea why they were taken at all, so that was the basis for my question.  On the other hand there are also photos that do not require us to understand the motivation, because their appeal is obvious because it chimes with your own aesthetic understanding immediately. Of course a universal answer to my question is "why not?" That strikes me really as a non-sequiter. If Wayne loves pipes positioned like that and I don't then there is not a lot more to say. If on the other hand he was to say he was documenting the installation of his house's new plumbing I could grasp that. Not sure it would make me appreciate the picture, but at least I can understand a bit why it was taken.

• Like 2
Robin Smith

4 hours ago, Robin Smith said:

<snip>....  On the other hand there are also photos that do not require us to understand the motivation, because their appeal is obvious because it chimes with your own aesthetic understanding immediately. <snip>...

As I opened with.....the aesthetic appeal was my motive, BUT I cannot understand the aesthetic, thus the query; maybe there are visual principles in play that I am not familiar with, and somebody else might understand them.

... or maybe (likely?) .... NOT.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It's not very interesting except as an example of odd number of groups, each with different geometric shapes. I converted to IR black and white, still didn't make a strong composition. The flowers are such a small element, I did not focus on that as a significant juxtapositional subject.

On 10/5/2023 at 11:42 AM, Wayne Melia said:

the aesthetic appeal was my motive, BUT I cannot understand the aesthetic

It’s good to check it out and even try to understand. But that may not be the end of it. Without understanding, your gut and senses might be trying to tell you something. To “get” that, you might have to listen to a different inner voice.

maybe there are visual principles in play that I am not familiar with

Possibly, though I don’t see any either. What’s outside of or beyond principles may be something less universal and more personal. Lack of familiarity has great potential.

somebody else

This is your ball to run with. Nothing may come of it as far as this photo or the present moment is concerned. But it can still be tucked away for future recurrence and possibility. Keep it in mind. See if it goes further … or anywhere …

Edited by samstevens

"You talkin' to me?"