Cloud and Sky Contrast in B/W Prints

danac

For me light clouds and dark skies really make a good landscape great. As AA used to say: "The blue dome is boring." My scanned negatives demonstrate that I'm getting  this nice cloud to sky contrast but when I make the prints the clouds and sky wash out. With my condenser enlarger I use the individual Ilford color filter cards (0 through five in half steps). I'm fairly new at using these. Which direction should I go with them to get the above effect without unduly sacrificing gray tone contrast?  I usually start with a two and go down for less contrast and up for more but the cloud/sky contrast is not really affected. Maybe I need to go to more extremes but which direction? Of course this is far less of a problem when the images were taken with anything darker than a #8 yellow lens filter. Many of my images in the old days were made without a filter or just a circular polarizer though.

Edited by danac
divine infusion
A book's a great place to hide out in - Trevanian

It's an interesting problem and I enjoy the challenge. Funny thing is, my old smaller Beseler Cadet didn't have this problem and I didn't even bother with colored enlarger filters back then. The Printmaker 67 does. I do burn the sky in whenever desirable but when you are making landscapes of mountains the horizon not a straight line.

A book's a great place to hide out in - Trevanian

To minimise halos when burning in, try two or three different ways of burning. For example, use the traditional mask, cut to fit the landscape for perhaps a third of the exposure, then use a straight edge mask mid way through the mountains (you’ll increase the density of some of the mountain tops, but hopefully not significantly. Then use a board with a hole in it to burn in locally. This will help minimise halos that would ordinarily occur using just a straight mask for the whole extra exposure. Keep the mask up near the enlarger for a more diffuse edge. You could try flashing just the sky area of the sheet of paper too.

• Like 1