Help me choose between two compositions, please.

DanJM

I’d like to submit one of these to a local show but can’t decide. The second one was accepted to an arts journal but I think a big reason was the theme, which was Wanderlust. The first one seems like a more traditional composition with the birds leading the eye into the image rather than out of it. Still, something about the second one seems more emotional, and it has better balance between the clouds and birds. Any comments on which is the better image would be appreciated. TIA!

Dan

https://meinhardtphoto.smugmug.com/Ducks/n-JKfxDs/

Edited by DanJM

3 minutes ago, inoneeye said:

The second image is more evocative of wanderlust for me. It allows me to empathize with my personal experience of wanderlust and move beyond the frame …. to see what is around the next corner.

Thanks! I appreciate this. I think that is why it was accepted for that journal. I am thinking of submitting one of these for a show without a theme, so do you think it’s the better image without regard to theme? 

@DanJM: Both photos are great IMHO and it is indeed a difficult choice. But the fact that you've asked for feedback here implies that you're not totally convinced that the 2nd photo is the best one.

Although the clouds are perhaps slightly more dramatic in the 2nd photo, I strongly suggest that you submit the first photo. IMHO a composition in which subjects are 'entering' a photo' (implying space to move into) are much more interesting than subjects 'exiting' a photo leaving a whole lot of empty space behind them. At least, that's what I've always been taught 😉.

I'm not sure how much 'post-processing' leeway you have, but you could of course combine the best of both photos.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikemorrellNL said:

@DanJM: Both photos are great IMHO and it is indeed a difficult choice. But the fact that you've asked for feedback here implies that you're not totally convinced that the 2nd photo is the best one.

Although the clouds are perhaps slightly more dramatic in the 2nd photo, I strongly suggest that you submit the first photo. IMHO a composition in which subjects are 'entering' a photo' (implying space to move into) are much more interesting than subjects 'exiting' a photo leaving a whole lot of empty space behind them. At least, that's what I've always been taught 😉.

I'm not sure how much 'post-processing' leeway you have, but you could of course combine the best of both photos.

Thanks so much! 

11 hours ago, DanJM said:

the better image without regard to theme? 

Hi Dan, without knowing the context and your work I would recommend paying attention to your inner voice and vision. A good critique for me involves an extended dialogue that evolves… the sort of back and forth not often found.
For the reason I gave before I am drawn to and linger on your second image even without the theme. 

Edited by inoneeye
  • Like 1

n e y e

6 minutes ago, inoneeye said:

Hi Dan, without knowing the context and your work I would recommend paying attention to your inner voice and vision. A good critique for me involves an extended dialogue that evolves… the sort of back and forth not often found.
For the reason I gave before I am drawn to and linger on your second image even without the theme. 

Thanks again. This is very helpful. 

I agree that the second image strikes me more emotionally. There's a sense in which it's taking me away. It feels more personal and less compliant with the expected. The second invites me in and invites me out. The ambiguity in that is effective.

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

24 minutes ago, samstevens said:

I agree that the second image strikes me more emotionally. There's a sense in which it's taking me away. It feels more personal and less compliant with the expected. The second invites me in and invites me out. The ambiguity in that is effective.

Thank you! 

My "rule" with flying and running subjects is to always have them moving into the frame, which I would apply here.

You've broken another of my "rules" is to almost never show the subject moving away and have a head angle that's parallel or positive to the camera, not away.

I'm surprised that you'd consider "showing" either. I tell my students to take these shots as they practice getting the camera up in time to get the shot with the birds coming at them, instead of tail feathers. A beginner will have almost 90% of their shots looking like this. I DO sometimes show tail feathers, but because something unusual is going on, or the feathers themselves look dramatic. For example, something like this, even though the left wing is nipped off:

51756452230_62364d1297_k.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, I appreciate the thoughts. For what it’s worth those are pretty standard rules that the vast majority of my bird photos follow. I was going for something different here. Shot this during the height of the pandemic and the composition with birds exiting the frame (or just flying away as in the other image) felt suitable for the time, and I thought the synchronization of their wings made the perspective work despite being from obliquely behind the birds. Like most things, works for some, not for others. Cheers. 

Edited by DanJM

• 3 weeks later...

My general view is that photos are weaker when the objects are clearly trying to leave the frame. However, in this case the cloud shapes balance the right hand picture better and I think that adds harmony, I think it is a nice picture. I am sure many people will agree with what Alan said though. But don't let that that stop you.

• Like 1
Robin Smith

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2023 at 8:52 PM, DanJM said:

I’d like to submit one of these to a local show but can’t decide. The second one was accepted to an arts journal but I think a big reason was the theme, which was Wanderlust. The first one seems like a more traditional composition with the birds leading the eye into the image rather than out of it. Still, something about the second one seems more emotional, and it has better balance between the clouds and birds. Any comments on which is the better image would be appreciated. TIA!

Dan

https://meinhardtphoto.smugmug.com/Ducks/n-JKfxDs/

I also prefer the 2nd one.  Here's why.  While the first image obeys the "rule" leave your subject somewhere to go.  As in if they are looking right leave room to the right.  However sometimes you need to break the rules.  The ducks are clearly moving away from the POV.  So this conficts with that rule.  You'd have to be looking at the ducks faces not their behinds for that rule to really apply.  The message I get from this image is "Goodbye".  So it works to have them nearly out of frame, again since we are seeing them from behind.  Second, and perhaps more important, the clouds in the 2nd image have a bit more Drama for me. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

While I like the first picture's conceptual flight into the frame, it seems empty. The second evokes the sensation of someone/thing being left behind due to the wanderlust of those leaving. Regret, but anticipation of the next adventure. At least that was my stronger reaction.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tyelar said:

While I like the first picture's conceptual flight into the frame, it seems empty. The second evokes the sensation of someone/thing being left behind due to the wanderlust of those leaving. Regret, but anticipation of the next adventure. At least that was my stronger reaction.

It’s wild you mentioned wanderlust regarding the second photo. That was the theme of the art journal in which that image was accepted. That was well before the show I referred to in this post, which has ended. I’m learning a lot from all this feedback though, so thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

Edited by DanJM