Nikon Wednesday 2023: #30

Matt Laur

Note: Consider keeping uploads no larger than 1600 pixels on the long side when it matters, and sticking with 1000 pixels when the image feels no pain at that resolution. On data size/compression, try to keep things under 1mb, shooting for 600kb when you can stop there. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). New to this thread? The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are right here: https://www.photo.net/forums/topic/398109-guidelines-for-nikon-forum-wednesday-image-threadsFor now, we're sticking with 1, 2, or 3 images per week as you see fit.

Every year or two our friends who breed stellar German Shorthaired Pointers will ask us to do a batch of portraits when the pups are at seven weeks old and about to go to their new homes. The new owners always love it, but it also serves as a developmental record (they are very serious about their breeding program). Here are some from the weekend's efforts. There are nine pups, so you don't get to see them all. It's a familiar three-light setup on gray paper, but the first time I've done with with the Z9 body. I'm here to tell you that body made the job much easier than ever before. So, it's a Canine Nikon Wednesday for me. Share some stuff!

shomberg_DSC2799.jpg

cappucino_DSC2748_no_logo.jpg

java_DSC2731_no_logo.jpg

• Like 10
  • Excellent! 3
  • Very Nice 1

40 minutes ago, bgelfand said:

Very sharp shots and very good poses, too. I see you are on eye level with your subjects. Did you raise the dogs on a platform or did you lower the camera, perhaps use the articulated view screen?

What lens did you use? 

We used a standard six foot folding table in our host’s living room. My wife handles the puppies while I shoot from a sitting position across the room using a 70-200/2.8 …. In this case around f/11 and at roughly 110mm.

The Z9’s ability to brighten the viewfinder really helps in the sim modeling light glow between the strobes firing. 

• Like 1

A quicky shot in lousy light, but here's my nephew Gabriel, at a concert last night.  A member of the group "The Moanin' Frogs," consisting of six college music professors off on a summer frolic, playing each of the six sizes of saxophones from sopranino to bass.  He's the alto. 

moanin.JPG

• Like 8
  • Very Nice 1

I particularly admire the rendering of the fur in Matt's dog portraits. Remember reading years ago ina foto forum that the key to getting that luminosity in hair is to have the light balanced ~50% from front and rear to take advantage of reflective properties of "platelets" in hair structure.

• Like 1