Beseler 23C/23dga

I purchased my Beseler 23C/23dga enlarger back in 2002. Since then, it has gone with me everywhere I moved until now(although I rarely use it) . I was preparing for another one of my Marathon Printing Sessions when I noticed that this enlarger came with 3 Light Baffles. The Light Baffles goes underneath the lamp to either condense the light, or diffuse it. Since this enlarger came with a 23dga Color Head, I have to use the Diffusion Light Baffle. However if I wanted to switch to a plain old condenser enlarger(that they recommend for B&W) I can remove the 23dga Color head and insert the Condenser Light Baffle.

My question is, this enlarger came with another Light Baffle that has a smaller opening  than the one I am currently using.  I'm not sure what it is used for ? it is not in the manual, or on any Besleler Catalog Parts list as far as I know ? Does anybody know what this light baffle is used for ? It looks like the Diffusion Light Baffle, but it has a smaller openeing ? I attached a picture to show you what the 3 light baffles look like. The one in the front is the one in question. 

condenserassembl.jpg

Edited by hjoseph7

With the color head installed there are 2 configurations specified by Beseler condenser or diffusion. The optional 35mm mixing chambre allows shorter printing time when the enlarger is configured for color printing. This diffusion mixing chamber concentrates the light output over a 35mm film for faster printing. That might be useful in making large prints. The larger diffusion mixing chamber is for use with any sized negative (including 35mm) and is required for enlarging films bigger than 35mm.

11 hours ago, Alan Marcus said:
With the color head installed there are 2 configurations specified by Beseler condenser or diffusion. The optional 35mm mixing chambre allows shorter printing time when the enlarger is configured for color printing. This diffusion mixing chamber concentrates the light output over a 35mm film for faster printing. That might be useful in making large prints. The larger diffusion mixing chamber is for use with any sized negative (including 35mm) and is required for enlarging films bigger than 35mm.

Wow great piece of detective work, thanks.