What is the point of the Edited message ?

hjoseph7

What is the point of having a message printed in BOLD that it was edited  ?  Many of us post during the heat of a discussion then go back to correct the typos especially those of us with old eyes. I don't see what the point is to let everyone in the world know that you edited the message,  its Overkill !

It's because the developers of forums think that we should have it!  That is not a trite or snarky answer--just the plain truth.

There is a huge divide between the developers of all forum platforms (Xenforo, vBulletin, IBS, etcetera) and the end community developer and their audience.  THEY tell us what they think we should have--and leave it to crafty publishers or third-party developers to fix the rest.  The Edited display is just one of those eccentricities.

An argument can be made that this is important to show if something has been changed after the posting fact.  Another argument is as yours, that it simply does not matter and detracts from the flow of a message.

This can be turned off in this forum platform--as ON is the default setting.  When I was fixing all of the things left undone last year, I turned it off for a bit.  Guess what?  The privilege was abused and it was necessary to set editing time limits and display the editing info as default.

So there you have it!

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

I wish we could incorporate a little message on all of our texts, emails, and Internet postings that says "Edited by Autocorrect" when that's the case! I think AI should take responsibility especially for auto-generated errors.

Knowing that there are 10 minutes (or 15) to change things, I assume when a post on PN says "Edited", it was done for typos or grammar or to make something more clear. It seems baked in. The tag is not something I would get too exercised about.

"You talkin' to me?"

At least on the desktop (unlike my freaking Samsung phone) I have to choose to make the correction.  

Yes, many edits are made for typos and clarity.  Others are made when the convo arcs off the path the poster intended.  That's why the limit is set to 10 minutes.

I checked the change log for 1/20/23 and found that is where I finally set it...  🤠

This message was juist edited.  Nothing was wrong, but the reason is displayed below.

Edited by PapaTango
My cat Bear suggested it

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

On 7/6/2023 at 10:19 AM, PapaTango said:

It's because the developers of forums think that we should have it!  That is not a trite or snarky answer--just the plain truth.

There is a huge divide between the developers of all forum platforms (Xenforo, vBulletin, IBS, etcetera) and the end community developer and their audience.  THEY tell us what they think we should have--and leave it to crafty publishers or third-party developers to fix the rest.  The Edited display is just one of those eccentricities.

An argument can be made that this is important to show if something has been changed after the posting fact.  Another argument is as yours, that it simply does not matter and detracts from the flow of a message.

This can be turned off in this forum platform--as ON is the default setting.  When I was fixing all of the things left undone last year, I turned it off for a bit.  Guess what?  The privilege was abused and it was necessary to set editing time limits and display the editing info as default.

So there you have it!

The same way that major companies are now participating in this this monkey-see, monkey-do Online Surveys.  The other day I got one of those "How did I do " surveys after canceling my magazine subscription. It is totally non-sensical in my opinion just following the herd till they fall off the cliff.