Hellos - Last evening I made some 5x7 prints. The printer is just a few months old. All the settings were correct, yet the printer printed 3 horizontal lines on the right side of the print area well outside the paper. The ink was laid apx an inch apart.  anyone else?  TY.  regards. dw

20230611_034625.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My P900 arrived today, set it up, and made a few prints, no issues. But at least I know have a unit and if necessary, can trade notes. 

Man, coming from a P800, this new unit is SO slick! 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

I've gone half a year (or more) without printing on several Epson-pigmented printers in the dry Southwest environment without a clog. 

That said, I always run a nozzle check, worth the tiny amount of ink and one piece of plain paper to test. 

I don't buy cheap ink. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

The cheap dye ink is just for cleaning.

21 hours ago, digitaldog said:

I've gone half a year (or more) without printing on several Epson-pigmented printers in the dry Southwest environment without a clog. 

That said, I always run a nozzle check, worth the tiny amount of ink and one piece of plain paper to test. 

I don't buy cheap ink. 

Good for you but that doesn't work here in the wet, humid environment of the MIssissippi Valley.

Dave my p900 also has the same markings on the foam strip plus several others including a line that runs several inches vertically ... I occasionally print borderless and assumed it was overspray as Frans suggests. Last night i ran a borderless print and observed while in process and there did appear to be overspray on to the foam strip.
I have printed quite a lot of different size papers on this printer and I think that is why i have so many lines on mine. 

Edited by inoneeye

n e y e

• 2 months later...

I do voluntary work helping (usually elderly) people with 'tech' problems: PC's/Laptops/Tablets/phones and also wifi and connections to 'periphera'ls' like printers, security cameras, smart doorbells, etc.

I just want to mention that this thread helped me to sort out a P400 printer problem for one of the people I sometimes help. Perhaps not directly, but it promted me to look up more info on clogged print heads, how to test for them and how to clean them.

A couple of weeks back, I got nowhere with the P400 printer problem. The front of the P400 indicated that there was an 'ink problem'. But none of the individual color cartridges indicated 'empty'. On the (Windows 7) printer software, the 'diagonostics' options were greyed out.  So, thanks to this thread (and additional Youtube resources), I yesterday went back armed with more knowledge of:

- how to test that 'ink is still flowing' in each cartridge

- materials (alcohol + swabs) to clean clogged up cartridges and/or the chips on each cartridge

- screwdrivers to get to (what I assumed to be) an in-built print head

- P400 software installed on my own W11 Laptop

As it turned out, the P400 software on my own Laptop quickly showed that all the color cartidges were OK but that the 'gloss' cartridge was causing the printer error. Luckily, my 'client' had a new 'gloss cartridge' and after replacing the old one, the printer worked just fine. As it turned out, I didn't need my screwdrivers and cleaning materials after all. Still, I felt good visiting this client again prepared for other possibilities. And - thankis to this thread, I've learned a whole lot more than I ever knew about printers🙂. I've advised my 'client' to print a 'test page' once a week just to keep the ink flowing.

OT: This 'client' is an (elderly - but still active) artist who constructs her 3-D artworks using her own photos. Often as background texture. She then 'washes' crops of these photo's with semi-transparent paint so that her crops remain clearly visible behind a light 'color wash'.  I saw one of her exhibitions years ago (before she ever asked me for help) and I was astounded by her '3-D photo constructions'. For me, it's always a delight whenever I visit her to help her out on a 'tech' problem. We've gotten to know each other and we spend as much time discussing her latest artworks and upcoming exhibitions as we do on fixing 'tech problems'. As an amateur photographer (and art lover), I still find her artistic application of photography fascinating and (in my limited experience) unique. IMHO, she's (like many others) a 'true artist' in the sense that each of her works is her personal expression of something that she feels is important. Although my feeling is that many of her works are highly 'saleable', she never creates anything with any intention of selling it. And she spends no time or attention on selling any of her works.

• Very Nice 1

8 hours ago, mikemorrellNL said:

I've advised my 'client' to print a 'test page' once a week just to keep the ink flowing.

👍
when you say test page are you talking about the supplied nozzle check test pattern or are you printing an image? I found that the pattern is not always sufficient for maintaining good ink flow. I created a small image of all colors and tones ( like a color wheel & bw tone bar). I use it every 1-3 weeks and it avoids power cleanings (which failed for me with past printers). It does not use much ink but does keep the flow better during periods of unuse.
I also remove and shake the cardridges every month on my p900. I learned my lesson the hard and expensive way!… By letting past printers sit idle too long.

Your client, friends work sounds very interesting I would be very interested in seeing it if she was inclined. 

Edited by inoneeye
  • Like 1

n e y e

16 hours ago, inoneeye said:

👍
when you say test page are you talking about the supplied nozzle check test pattern or are you printing an image? I found that the pattern is not always sufficient for maintaining good ink flow. I created a small image of all colors and tones ( like a color wheel & bw tone bar). I use it every 1-3 weeks and it avoids power cleanings (which failed for me with past printers). It does not use much ink but does keep the flow better during periods of unuse.
I also remove and shake the cardridges every month on my p900. I learned my lesson the hard and expensive way!… By letting past printers sit idle too long.

Your client, friends work sounds very interesting I would be very interested in seeing it if she was inclined. 

Thanks for your response, @inoneeye.  TBH I don't don't know a whole lot about printers. I certainly don't do a 'test print' on my home computer every week but it seems to work just fine.But I do use it a couple of times a month and it doesn't have an 'in-built' print head.

When I was at 'my client' and printed a 'test page', most of the page was in B/W. But at the bottom, there was a 'color bar' that - to my eye - seemed to print the spectrum of colors available on the printer.. So I'm assuming that if she prints this test page once a week, through the color bar, she'll be able to keep the ink in all cartridges flowing and prevent clogging up.

My 'client', Corry van Hoof, has a degree in 'art' and used to have her own atelier and website but decided to let both lapse because of the costs. And also because she had little interest on selling her works online. As she herself says "whatever I create, is driven my feeling to express something.  I sometimes just try things that don't get anywhere. But I've never created anything with the idea of selling it."

There are still a couple of websites through which Corry is represented that give a good (2-D) impression of her (3-D) work:

- gallerienastyalice

- kunstdrift

She has an upcoming exhibition in december.

I'm still fascinated by how 'Corry' continues to use her own photos to create 3-D 'artworks' (each with an underlying artistic meaning),  I'm also seriously impressed by Corry's drive, motivation and creativity (at her advanced age) to produce new innovative works.

Mike

• Like 1