Who's found a genuinely decent UK photo dealer?

What do you mean? In the US, B&H is a kind of "one-stop shop", but there isn't any real equivalent in the UK. Amazon is my preference for buying new camera equipment. For accessories, there are lots of options - Speed Graphic, Wex, to name just 2, but that's kind of doing a disservice to the many other good options. Lately I've been buying my film from Analogue Wonderland. And often I'll just use Google Shopping and find the cheapest reputable dealer for whatever item I might be looking for at that instant.

Also, I have a kind of personal policy, where... if I'm looking for something (e.g. camera bag) but I'm unsure about it, and I go to some "brick and mortar" store to check it out - I'll then "reward" them with my purchase, even if they're not the cheapest retailer. Because shops that have gear on view for checking out need to be kept in business too.

On 6/11/2023 at 11:40 AM, Colin O said:

What do you mean? In the US, B&H is a kind of "one-stop shop", but there isn't any real equivalent in the UK. Amazon is my preference for buying new camera equipment. For accessories, there are lots of options - Speed Graphic, Wex, to name just 2, but that's kind of doing a disservice to the many other good options. Lately I've been buying my film from Analogue Wonderland. And often I'll just use Google Shopping and find the cheapest reputable dealer for whatever item I might be looking for at that instant.

Also, I have a kind of personal policy, where... if I'm looking for something (e.g. camera bag) but I'm unsure about it, and I go to some "brick and mortar" store to check it out - I'll then "reward" them with my purchase, even if they're not the cheapest retailer. Because shops that have gear on view for checking out need to be kept in business too.

I'm asking who knows of a UK photo goods dealer, that they have personally found to be reliable, trustworthy and genuinely helpful. I have only got one answer so far!

It's a kind of ridiculous question in my humble opinion. What exactly are you buying? New or second-hand? What dealers have you had problems with? What items have you had trouble finding?

What are you actually trying to determine here? Are you trying to find one single retailer where you will make all your future purchases?

If there's some retailer that you don't have personal experience with, my best advice is to google for reviews of that specific retailer. It would probably be more efficient than your question here for anecdotal experience of random retailers. Worth also bearing in mind is that people tend to leave reviews far more often when they've had a negative experience than a positive one. So just don't forget about all those thousands of problem-free transactions that don't make it onto internet review listings.

Edited by Colin O
  • Like 1

• William Michael changed the title to Who's found a genuinely decent UK photo dealer?
On 6/12/2023 at 3:43 PM, John Seaman said:

I have bought a few second hand DSLR's and lenses from Ffordes Photographic of Beauly. The prices seemed reasonable, and the descriptions were accurate.

Cheers John, we've read good reviews of Ffordes but we haven't ever dealt with them ...

I 've only stumbled into one at London and forgot it's name, since I didn't move there. 

Reliable, trustworthy and helpful? 

We had a big state wide selling one here. After reading too much Ansel Adams and spotting a used Arca Swiss, I went there, in 2001, inquiring the cost of film. The sales gal in front of the fridges referred me to the head of their film department: "Hm, Kodak make film, but I can neither order, nor even tell a price". OTOH they had decent staff and nice prices too.

Another dealer was eager to arrange repairs and mark up the cost, according to a Pentax rep, I met elsewhere. 

Right now I am locally down to an electronics mall's photo department. The guys there are at least honest, on a "Dunno, I shoot Sony" base and(!) helpful enough to tell me how and where to do my homework on the Internet. Once I 'll know if & what I want, they 'll try hard to make a competitive offer. Or tell me to go home and mail-order Yuongnos instead of branded speedlites.

What flavor of reliability are you looking for? - Can there be such a thing, when DHL handle the shipping? - Ordered a camera, got parcel tracking code but tracking did not work. 

Are you going to become a serious wedding shooter, who online orders replacements, whenever he needs to take his backups out of the trunk on Sunday and freaks out if they don't arrive on Tuesday? 

Or are you concerned about photo finishing services? 

Bottom line:

• Nothing beats digging through bargain bins in person.
  • Brick and mortar stores cater their local non-markets cheaper than auction sites. 
  • Accept having to deal with horses for courses. 
  • You are digital enough to be here, so try to spot sufficiently trustworthy gear reviewers elsewhere online. - No retail slave, shooting the other brand, can do your homework as well as you.

Forgot to add: Some pro shop in a neighbor city offers cleaning services. Those might be a reason to shop there, if everything costs the same everywhere anyhow. 

If you are keeping gear long enough for warranties to expire, figure out who 'll do your repairs. 

Dealing with a shop that lets you rent before you buy, free of charge, IF you buy, might be nice.